Road crash survey

General Udon Thani topics only!
Essex
udonmap.com

Road crash survey

Post by Essex » July 21, 2019, 11:11 am

I have been in Udon full time now for 2 months, several earlier trips as well. I watch 360 when driving, but have had quite a few very close calls, bikes on wrong side of Hwy entrance turns, incredible antics by very fast light trucks, cars moving into Hwy at 25kph in front of traffic etc, etc, etc. I think a crash is going to be almost inevitable as one day I will cop it from more than one direction at a time, dodge one, hit the other I think is likely.

So question, how many have lived accident free for more than 2 years?????

I am independently poor

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Road crash survey

Post by 747man » July 21, 2019, 11:24 am

I Had a Very SLIGHT Accident with a 13 Year Old Girl riding her Motorcyc on The Kerb & The WRONG Side of the MAIN Road here in NONG KHAI.....When She hit the rear N/S Of my 4x4 NOT A Lot of Damage only a Scratch on my vehicle, But She just picked herself & Her 2 Passengers up from the ground & Then Fu**ed Off !!! Just Sayin'Like !!

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » July 21, 2019, 11:28 am

1 accident in 16 years driving here.
And that was my fault....

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 21, 2019, 11:51 am

I bought DMax in 2002, drove hire cars prior to that. About 2007, had a kid on a souped up Honda wave come across my front lawn (out of control) and kit the drivers door as I was entering my car port. His father paid for the damage.

Tee boned a samlor about 2015 - 75% my fault, minor damage to both vehicles, insurance.

Touch wood = that's it!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 21, 2019, 11:59 am

Also 16 years one accident 10 years ago also my fault, as no other car involved. In my defense the roads department had taken 6" off the road for resurfacing at night after I went out and didn't put up any signs or barriers! My car had only 4" clearance and stopped very quickly, again insurance job which was no problem

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » July 21, 2019, 12:19 pm

Essex wrote:
July 21, 2019, 11:11 am

So question, how many have lived accident free for more than 2 years?????/quote]

I had lived and driven , accident free, all over Thailand, for approximately 27 years. About 18 months ago, at age 85, I decided I had pushed my luck far enough, and sold my car. Now my own personal chauffeur, who is a much safer driver than me, drives me everywhere, while I am able to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery. Wish I had made that decision years ago! :D :lol: \:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 21, 2019, 1:29 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
July 21, 2019, 11:51 am

Tee boned a samlor about 2015 - 75% my fault, .......
:-k :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 21, 2019, 1:32 pm

12 years full time - no accidents.

Paid out a lot for insurance, with no return. :crying:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 21, 2019, 1:41 pm

23 years, 500000+km, nobody killed, lots of close calls, but in the end I think driving here makes you a better driver .......unless you choose to drive like the natives

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 21, 2019, 1:42 pm

end this year 18 years , 2 accidents not my fault,and despite everything here i still enjoy driving the car here as i went abroad 2years ago ,i went nuts of all the restrictions ,and did not enjoy driving at all ,so i leave my daughter do the driving , lucky for me now i do not have to go back any more ... once you have adapted to the Thais driving system and accept (again) it is not like driving abroad ,using your head ,you should be ok ...;)

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » July 21, 2019, 2:24 pm

Here since January 2012, drive almost every day, including Udon-Pattaya and Chiang Mai- Mai Song Hon. Nil accidents. Standard of driving in the area is frankly appalling, but I am ultra defensive in avoiding problems. The mix of vehicles here is astonishing, little old ladies on bikes at 5kph, with trucks overtaking at 80 kph, and that is just in the village.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2019, 4:00 pm

The OP needs to keep in mind that merging traffic has right of way and he'll avoid one of the most common "it's different here" causes of grief here. The other is oncoming traffic turning across your path at junctions. Roundabouts are not to be treated the same way as they are elsewhere either. Finally, the concept of 'Give Way' can't exist here as it doesn't exist in the Thai language.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » July 21, 2019, 4:00 pm

17 years fulltime here i Thailand.

15 years on Motorbike/Bicycle (Honda Dream) no accident by me ,but one Thaiguy in a truck just opened his door whitout checking his mirrors..broke collarbone.Closecalls..MANY..5 years whith car..no accidents..tuch wood.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 22, 2019, 7:30 am

The last one i had in 1991 tried to kill me , so ive tended to avoid them since .

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 22, 2019, 6:21 pm

Only one in 4 years up here. Dropping MIL off in Nong Han Hospital. Stationary in the car park, MIL half out of the back seat and a young Thai lad reverses back out of a parking space and swings straight into my front end at a speed that if it was human instead of a steel collision would have caused some real damage. The car park attendants all disappeared after that. Lucky we have a camera system.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 23, 2019, 3:44 am

Near misses? Too many to mention but had a classic today. At the lights at the main Nong Han junction, I am 3 cars back from turning right into Nong Han, our go signal (the wee green arrow) had been on for about 6/7 seconds when a light truck came screaming down our outside lane and missed a motor bike turning right from the other side of the road by millimeters (parts of inches for the Shermans) Even the missus was screaming at the truck, that guy on the bike needs to go to his nearest Wat and thank his Buddha. He will never be closer to death than that.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 23, 2019, 6:57 am

none in the cars in the 13 years I,ve been here , but quite a few on my motorbikes , 2 bad 1s .. both times the Thai's who hit me payed out for the bike and hospital bills ..

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 23, 2019, 2:37 pm

driving here since late 97.. Once accident in 2009 when a rear-ended a taxi in traffic down in BKK. My fault. Other than that I've tried to maintain a constant state of alertness and drive defensively. Seems like any time I let that alertness slacken there will be a near miss from a Yon Son car/tuk tuk/motocy (driving the wrong way), a weaving madman on the road, or somebody launching into traffic from a side street without stopping.. Bottom line is that no matter how hard you try to drive safely there's no telling if some bonehead isn't going to come out of nowhere to hit you...
Dave

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 23, 2019, 7:46 pm

Having previously driven in Libya, couldn't understand farang paranoia at Thai driving when i got here! The only extra was the Thai habit of driving the wrong way at the side of the road.
The only thing i have hit in 9 years was one concrete post and a wing mirror. BUT I have been hit 3 times - all when stationary! All parking accidents. Fortunately no damage done.
My mantra for driving here - drive in KPH what you would do in MPH back home. Usually allows time to react to Thai unguided missiles ....

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”