Sciatica

General Udon Thani topics only!
choi choi
udonmap.com

Sciatica

Post by choi choi » July 24, 2019, 9:00 pm

For three weeks now, in real pain lower back above bum.
Having to limp ...Real pain in Ass!
Has anyone had this problem?
Yes I can go see the doctor. But fear all he do is give me pain killers
All I can do is hope will go away....Will it?

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Sciatica

Post by 747man » July 24, 2019, 11:38 pm

choi choi wrote:
July 24, 2019, 9:00 pm
Yep I've suffered with This Pain in the Arse Complaint.....For Months a while back,I Found an Excellent Massage (MALE ) While We were on Koh Lanta beach, He Just Worked on the Trapped Nerve for about 2 Hours,He Charged me 200 Baht,but after He'd Worked his " Magic " I Got up & Was Able to throw my Crutches Away.....Pain has NEVER Returned in a LOT of Years now,So Try & Find yourself a GOOD Masseur that knows what HE is Doing......Painkillers Will NOT Cure Sciatica,It's a TRAPPED Nerve !!

Tom & Jee
udonmap.com

Post by Tom & Jee » July 25, 2019, 6:26 am

I also had this problem many times. When the pain is little I take antiflamtorry tablets. When is more I go to a massage place near nong prajak lake. Number 7or 8 ask for a man to massage you they work miracles.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 25, 2019, 6:51 am

sciatica type pain could indicate a spinal disk problem that is irritating the nerves and causing the pain.. Best to get it checked out by a good orthopedist, if you can find one. An MRI would indicate if you have DDD or narrowing of the spinal cord canal (spinal stenosis). As we age we can suffer from Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) that can cause sciatica (among other issues). Gaining weight and being out of shape can cause spinal issues too. My symptoms got so bad that it is impossible for me to carry a wallet in my right rear pocket and I use a 3 inch thick cushion in the car seat to prevent the edge of the seat from impinging on my right leg nerve. Losing some weight, doing exercise and building up my abdominal muscles (if in good shape they take a lot of strain off your spine) helped reduce but not stop the symptoms.
Massage can be a good therapy for such issues BUT it can also make your symptoms worse if indeed it is DDD or stenosis.
Dave

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 25, 2019, 7:19 am

Its a bit out there , but have you thought about electro accupuncture . I had it years ago in the U K , tried everything , and all failed . Out of desperation i listened to a friend who had it done to one of her lame horses , I found an alternative medicine clinic , saw a guy , and after the first visit , a lot less pain .
Took 5 visits to go completely .

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 25, 2019, 7:25 am

Got rid of mine 30 years ago -- in my sleep -- by adjusting my sleeping position to stretch those nerves out. After a couple of weeks, it was gone and has never returned.

Of course, I drink lots of water and still work out 4-5 days a week with a healthy diet. That helps.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 25, 2019, 9:30 am

I had the back problem for many years. The best help I ever got for the pain was buying a pure latex mattress. It is 7 inches thick and was quite expensive. I really didn't care about the money, I just wanted some relief. I did regret ordering a too firm mattress. The experts tell you that a hard mattress is the best. That is pure BS. I have since purchased a soft 2 inch latex topper that is on top of the original latex mattress. This is best possible combination, at least for me.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » July 25, 2019, 9:51 am

Thanks Guy's for advice.
Yesterday I went to Tesco.Get small bit of shopping.
Geez! How I made it round the store I dont know!
Ibuprofen does help a lot. But.... Hmm! not a cure!
Massage seems a good idea.Maybe a happy ending!
No! not that one !

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 25, 2019, 10:38 am

FrazeeDK Said......... My symptoms got so bad that it is impossible for me to carry a wallet in my right rear pocket ..

I Wish That would have been the problem with Mine !!!

You can Always lighten the Wallet Though......

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 25, 2019, 10:41 am

I had this for about 3 weeks a year and a half ago. The pain went from my lower back to my left knee. It was really difficult to walk. The pain went away on its own. In cold weather (-20 C and lower), I sometimes get twinges of pain by my knee, This also occurs if it is rainy and cold. Sciatica is the most pain I have ever experienced. I don't know what cured (helped) it, but I drink lots of water.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » July 25, 2019, 11:11 am

I have also suffered with sciatica, and my advice would be similar to what has already been said.
Don't waste your time going to see a doctor, pain killers / anti-inflammatory don't help.
I have used acupuncture and it works. Also massage from someone who really knows what they are doing.
You can help yourself by lying flat and pulling the affected leg by the knee across your body up to the opposite shoulder as hard as you can, and then some.
Hope this helps.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 25, 2019, 11:44 am

When the pain gets real bad I go to the Physical Therapy Department in the Udon Hospital. Each session lasts about 50 minutes and costs 240 baht. The Traction Therapy seems to help me the most.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 25, 2019, 12:33 pm

I once went to a chiropractor. I couldn't get out of bed the next day. I then went to an MD who specialized in back problems. I was on his table and he was pressing around. He said my muscles were very tight and inflamed. He then asked me if I had been to a chiropractor. I told him that I had. He got quite angry and told me that if I was stupid enough to go back to one, not to bother coming to see him again.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 25, 2019, 12:59 pm

glalt wrote:
July 25, 2019, 12:33 pm
I once went to a chiropractor. I couldn't get out of bed the next day. I then went to an MD who specialized in back problems. I was on his table and he was pressing around. He said my muscles were very tight and inflamed. He then asked me if I had been to a chiropractor. I told him that I had. He got quite angry and told me that if I was stupid enough to go back to one, not to bother coming to see him again.
Agree Glait I Went to a Chiropractor ( He used to be promoted on HERE ) But I WON'T Mention ANY Names,After the session with Him I Was like Yourself the very next day......So NEVER Again !!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 25, 2019, 2:08 pm

traction therapy? That seems to indicate a compressed or crushed disc.. I'd get a good MRI diagnosis of the problem..
Dave

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
July 25, 2019, 2:08 pm
traction therapy? That seems to indicate a compressed or crushed disc.. I'd get a good MRI diagnosis of the problem..
I don't know how everyone else's sciatica is affected, but mine was pinched in my lower vertebrae. Drinking more water to inflate the pads and arching forward with the knee pulled to my chest, opened up the vertebrae to free up the pinched nerve. I would think that traction therapy would do the same thing.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » July 25, 2019, 10:27 pm

choi choi wrote:
July 24, 2019, 9:00 pm
Maybe, maybe not. I had the same problem and the cause was a badly herniated disc. I had a microdiscectomy done at Bhumrangrad and I am good now, that was about 10 years ago. Sometimes stretching and massage will do the trick, don't give up there is a cure. You just have to find it.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 26, 2019, 8:37 am

Have a look at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZzeO4P9YA. The stretching exercises are pretty good. My UK physio also recommended strengthening your core muscles ie abbs, to help.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » July 27, 2019, 9:07 am

OK Thanks! I'll check it out .Getting worse now!

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » July 29, 2019, 9:17 am

I had a similar problem about three weeks ago, there is an excellent acupuncturist just off the Nong Kai road that fixed me 100% after 1 visit, if you need further details will post location

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”