As West retreats, China surges in Myanmar

World news discussion forum
RLTrader
udonmap.com

As West retreats, China surges in Myanmar

Post by RLTrader » July 31, 2019, 7:15 pm

As West retreats, China surges in Myanmar.

Chinese investment and tourism are rising fast in the country at a time the US and EU pull back in revulsion at new rights abuses.
In June, Business License Department Director Myo Win Nyun found it necessary to publicly state that action had to be taken against so-called “zero-dollar tourism.”

The practice, seen in neighboring Thailand, involves Chinese tourists booking package tours that only patronize hotels, restaurants and retail shops connected to China-based tour operators and therefore offer little trickle down to Myanmar operators and vendors. ...

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/07/artic ... n-myanmar/

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Re: As West retreats, China surges in Myanmar

Post by jai yen yen » August 1, 2019, 7:27 am

RLTrader wrote:
July 31, 2019, 7:15 pm

Chinese investment and tourism are rising fast in the country at a time the US and EU pull back in revulsion at new rights abuses.
In June, Business License Department Director Myo Win Nyun found it necessary to publicly state that action had to be taken against so-called “zero-dollar tourism.”

The practice, seen in neighboring Thailand, involves Chinese tourists booking package tours that only patronize hotels, restaurants and retail shops connected to China-based tour operators and therefore offer little trickle down to Myanmar operators and vendors. ...

China is a cancer rapidly spreading around the world.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » August 1, 2019, 8:45 am

jai yen yen wrote:
August 1, 2019, 7:27 am
RLTrader wrote:
July 31, 2019, 7:15 pm

China is a cancer rapidly spreading around the world.
Trump is standing back and letting it happen.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 1, 2019, 8:54 am

Whats he supposed to do ? Hes stated numerous times hes not a globalist , and is only interested in America .
Personally i think hes pretty smart staying out of this region .
As for Myanmar , if they get taken over by China , its no more than they deserve .
Its the people i feel for . Basically they would just change one brutal regime for another
As always the ruling classes will do well and the peasants will suffer . Sound familiar ?

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » August 1, 2019, 9:05 am

saint wrote:
August 1, 2019, 8:54 am
Whats he supposed to do ? Hes stated numerous times hes not a globalist , and is only interested in America .
Personally i think hes pretty smart staying out of this region .
As for Myanmar , if they get taken over by China , its no more than they deserve .
Its the people i feel for . Basically they would just change one brutal regime for another
As always the ruling classes will do well and the peasants will suffer . Sound familiar ?
Then Trump should close all US bases around the world, and bring back all US troops on foreign soil. Remove punitive sanctions on any foreign power. Just look after your own damn country.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 1, 2019, 10:12 am

Lintner is an respected expert on Myanmar, in particular, the hill regions outside the Burman (Bamar) heartland. Certainly what he writes rings true. It should be noted that Myanmar does receive aid and investment from a wide range of countries to counterbalance, to some extent, the massive Chinese interest in the country for economic, political and military reasons. India, Japan, Vietnam Singapore and others worry about this. They hope that the reputation of the Tatmadaw for being tough will halt Chinese expansion so the country does not become another Laos.

It is also true that U.S. vital world interests are not at risk in Myanmar for the moment. Of course, at the end of the Chinese Civil War, the CIA did support Chinese KMT units (led, I think, by General Lee) operating on the northern border with Thailand something the U Nu government did not know about until a few years later.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 1, 2019, 11:03 am

Japan, for example, helped in establishing the Thilawa Special Economic Zone in Myanmar four years ago, which has aided business and created job opportunities. Japan is also expected to invest in the proposed Dawei SEZ in Tanintharyi while China will take the lead in the projected Kyaukphyu SEZ in Rakhine State.

https://www.mmtimes.com/news/state-coun ... UNyz7Oh1RI

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 1, 2019, 1:39 pm

Hmm. "The practice, seen in neighboring Thailand, involves Chinese tourists booking package tours that only patronize hotels, restaurants and retail shops connected to China-based tour operators and therefore offer little trickle down to Myanmar operators and vendors. ..."

While this is trivial, it piqued my curiosity. I know nothing about Burma, but have been reading about and visiting Thailand for over twenty years. How do the Chinese-based tourist operators deprive the Thais of any significant amount of the revenue being generated by Chinese tourist groups? Likely 99% of the personnel involved in providing services to the tour groups are Thais. The hotels, shops, transportation services, etc. used are owned by Thais so that Thais a least get rent and fees. The Chinese agencies likely get kickbacks from businesses enjoying the Chinese tourist trade, but this is a common practice. I suspect that most of these tourists would not likely visit Thailand if the Chinese tour agencies had not marketed and promoted the experience, in which case there would be no related revenue generated.

Can anyone explain why or how the Thais lose out on these tours? Or the Burmese?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 1, 2019, 2:39 pm

There was an article about that in relation to Burma/Myanmar, perhaps on the other Udon channel, I'll see if I can find it,

I found it,

https://www.mmtimes.com/news/authoritie ... vNRNCOLWBQ

One difference between Burma and China might be that many Chinese (and Indians) born in the country do not have citizenship; whereas, in Thailand the Chinese born in the country are Sino-Thais and not seen as foreigners.

I went with a Thai Tour group to Burma last year It certainly seemed very professional and legitimate, and their itinerary was full and very interesting. The Thai food was delicious (only Thai food was served). However, there was one scam. We were not given time to exchange Thai baht for Burmese kyat at a local bank. The guides exchanged money on the bus giving 30 kyat for one baht. I knew that the official exchange rate was 43 kyat (it is now 50 kyat) for one baht. I had planned ahead and brought U.S. dollars with me. So the tourists were cheated on that.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 1, 2019, 3:27 pm

saint wrote:

Sounds like America to this camper, ur bigotry is showing.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 1, 2019, 3:38 pm

Think closer to home .

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » August 1, 2019, 4:12 pm

RLTrader wrote:
August 1, 2019, 3:27 pm
saint wrote:

Sounds like America to this camper, ur bigotry is showing.
I second that, sounds exactly like the the US.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 2, 2019, 10:27 am

A Japanese company is increasing its investment in Myanmar: "Yakult, the Japan-headquartered probiotic drinks maker, has invested in a US$47 million factory in Myanmar’s Thilawa Special Economic Zone."

https://www.mmtimes.com/news/yakult-bet ... uKpLDA5Ql8

Return to “World News”