Lack of Spending in Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Lack of Spending in Udon

Post by Doodoo » August 2, 2019, 10:14 am

Seeing more and more indicators of businesses suffering due to lack of customers in Udon
1) Ducati Dealership closed? or moved
2) 4 eatery stalls at Makro vacant
3) Makro parking lot half empty at 2PM (I relaize it is the end of the month and cash flow could be down)
4) Know indiviuals that have stores at Central and they also say business is down
5) Another restaurant was closed reecntly downtown

Yet we see new hotels etc being built maybe too late
Any other observations

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Lack of Spending in Udon

Post by parrot » August 2, 2019, 10:45 am

Toyota dealer near toolpro had a few customers while I was there for 2 hours. Maintenance area was full. Dose had lots of customers for lunch yesterday. Still seeing a good number of red license plates around town. And yes, every business man/woman I ask says business is down. But I'm not seeing it........yet.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 2, 2019, 10:54 am

Mr Parrot, where did you get these great looking glasses ? I, too, would like to see a rosy picture.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 2, 2019, 11:33 am

It's waaaaaaaaay down,even tyhe ladys at the markets are down,way down.So parrot,the question is,were did you buy your rose tinted spectacles?..;-)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 2, 2019, 11:58 am

NOT Udon, But I Can say that MOST Businesses in Nong Khai are suffering through lack of custom,Everytime I Go into Town I Notice very FEW People eating in the Restaurants & Roadside eateries....Definatley a lack of money around ??

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » August 2, 2019, 1:26 pm

and the cause is ??
the only good Tory is a lavatory

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 2, 2019, 1:57 pm

I too hear reports that folks in Udon are hurting.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 2, 2019, 2:25 pm

the-monk wrote:
August 2, 2019, 10:54 am
Mr Parrot, where did you get these great looking glasses ? I, too, would like to see a rosy picture.
I quit smoking in 1988, partly for health, partly due to social pressures (and the military taking a dim view). The day I quit, I may as well have had my eyes replaced.....as all they saw were people walking along, cigarette in hand, looking as healthy as ever. As it is in Udon, I can easily see lots of shuttered businesses....empty restaurants.......stores with a lack of customers. But today, my favorite lahb store (near the mosque) was doing a booming business and Makro's parking lot was full and there were plenty of customers. When I pass by the new coffee shop just before you turn into the airport......it's closed........it's new.......it never opened or only opened for a veeeery short time. Bad business? I think it's bad decisions. That all said, there are plenty of articles in the BP about exports on the sharp decline....so I'd guess factories are going to be affected. But all in all, as long as there are a fair number of red plates on the road, the economy is moving along. Oh, as well, several newly cleared areas in different areas of town tell me there's going to be new buildings going up.
I didn't see any smokers today.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 2, 2019, 3:10 pm

Well went to Tesco on Wed., seemed busy and hard to find a short check out line, but did.

Went to Complex today, seemed quiet driving to 5th floor parking. Quick stop at BB ATM, just beat the line that formed as I left.

Tops also seemed quiet, but that also changed while I was there. Royal project shop seemed busy as usual.

As Building in my area continues to go on, just down the road they filled a small plot few days ago, put up a sign "For Sale", today the sign was gone.

Guess I need to clean my glasses.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » August 2, 2019, 3:26 pm

You cite fleeting indicators to support your bias.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » August 2, 2019, 3:34 pm

UD Town last Saturday night....Car Park packed,and yes I noticed lots of red plates.Most restaurants full of people.I went to that Korean buffet place opposite Swensens and it was full of 25-35 year old government worker types.Plenty of consumers consuming.I haven't noticed any slow down.
Voiceover for hire.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » August 2, 2019, 6:03 pm

My wife and family also complain that business is down and there's not much going on. I suspect it's because we're seniors and frequent the old style places that the young people aren't interested in.

I see lots of indications that Udon is alive and thriving. The under 40 crowds are the up and comers who are out spending and having a good time while the rest of us moan and groan about how terrible things are.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 3, 2019, 1:17 am

The fireworks business seems ok: Giant circular rocket.

https://youtu.be/E8Sz5P3yAZg

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 3, 2019, 10:16 am

Raoul Duke wrote:
August 2, 2019, 3:34 pm
UD Town last Saturday night....Car Park packed,and yes I noticed lots of red plates.Most restaurants full of people.I went to that Korean buffet place opposite Swensens and it was full of 25-35 year old government worker types.Plenty of consumers consuming.I haven't noticed any slow down.
Everyone , especially government workers got paid last Thursday , did they not .
Go have a look in two weeks time when everyones done their dough .
As for red plates , are they local or Bangkok hisos enjoying their weekend retreat ?
There seem quite a few vehicles stock pilling at the local main dealers .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 3, 2019, 11:04 am

The lot next to ngeesoon.... repossessed mostly.....is always full. As is the lot close to Buntaworn. If you look at the red plates, you'll see most are Udon. But then, through my glasses the plates could be white

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » August 3, 2019, 11:49 am

yes and all financed to the max

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 3, 2019, 12:04 pm

I know a Thai woman who bought a Toyota on finance for her sister. The sister was supposed to make the monthly repayments and didn't. In disgust the Thai woman passed the car to my clan. We take and collect her household's children from school. She pays for the car and the fuel. Thank you Thailand.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » August 3, 2019, 12:32 pm

saint wrote:
August 3, 2019, 10:16 am
Everyone , especially government workers got paid last Thursday , did they not .
Go have a look in two weeks time when everyones done their dough
Good point.
Voiceover for hire.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 6, 2019, 9:57 am

Bangkok is not doing so well . << Shop space falls 10% in Bangkok >>.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/17 ... in-bangkok

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”