Insurance advice warning

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
kakariki
udonmap.com

Insurance advice warning

Post by kakariki » August 16, 2019, 12:31 pm

When I booked my flight from Aust to Bkk with Thaiair I took up the insurance option that comes with the ticket for 299THB in addion to purchasing normal travel insurance. Yesterday I was admitted to Wattana after an incident, and stayed overnight and was to be released early this morning. The hospital would not let me leave because they hadn't recieved comfirmation of the claim back from the insurance company which may take all day adding more time to me inconvenience. After carrying on a bit they finally let me leave (also because I need my heart pills which were at home).
So be careful about using this policy, it caused a lot of inconvenience including me having to rechedule my flight home, getting a one day extension to my visa plus other costs which they won't pay. I've used other travel policies from Aust before, when I went to hospital, called them and they immediately gave the hospital payment clearence.
Barry

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Insurance advice warning

Post by tamada » August 17, 2019, 12:25 pm

kakariki wrote:
August 16, 2019, 12:31 pm
... I've used other travel policies from Aust before, when I went to hospital, called them and they immediately gave the hospital payment clearence.
Barry
So I wonder why you didn't avail yourself of this tried and tested travel insurance coverage this time?

Was the Chubb Samaggi Insurance offered by the airline cheaper?

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

I have the two policies, and showed them both, but they used the wrong one, a breakdown in communication while I was lying in ICU.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 17, 2019, 1:40 pm

kakariki wrote:
August 17, 2019, 1:23 pm
I have the two policies, and showed them both, but they used the wrong one, a breakdown in communication while I was lying in ICU.
Hope all is well kakariki, I imagine being crook put a dampener on travels.
I suppose a good lesson to come out of your misfortune is make sure the missus or some one close has the details.
I have always worried about being out to it when admitted.
My girl has my policies close at hand.
In the past I always had the Cigna gold card with my old companies and always had my card registered at the BKK hospital just incase of being in your unlucky circumstance, but, I now have a different policy and will check next time in town at the hospital.
I had a 6 month tourist visa recently between jobs and used Australia's Medicare Private travel and health insurance, they were the easiest for me to get coverage for riding a scooter up to 200cc and also my past history of an operation. Not cheap but was 1,000 AUD for the 6 months but full top coverage throughout SE Asia and also paid extra to reduce the first up cost.
Hope your on the mend.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 17, 2019, 2:51 pm

Luckily not too crook, just a Cobra bite.
I've used policies before without a problem, it's just they used the wrong one. To top it off the hospital claimed the medical bill which got paid, but because I didn't submit my extras with it, I need to do a new claim ;(

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 18, 2019, 2:29 pm

"The hospital would not let me leave because they hadn't received confirmation of the claim back from the insurance company which may take all day adding more time to me inconvenience."

Interesting comment and completely goes against the accusation that Foreigners were abusing the health system here and leaving with unpaid bills - and cited as a reason why they want to introduce compulsory health insurance. Hospital are a business and are unlikely to let you leave without paying your bill, or in some cases even begin treatment until you can show how you are going to pay.

Wish you a speedy recovery and thanks for sharing your experience.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 18, 2019, 4:23 pm

Thankyou

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 27, 2019, 10:02 am

So a further update on this, they have refused to pay because as the policy was taken out for the duration of my holiday which ended on the 17th Aug. My bite happened on the 15th Aug. and caused me a delay until the 24th Aug., they claim the policy ended on the 17th Aug and my costs for being delayed are not covered.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is one important part of taking out travel insurance, to cover for this very thing.
So members don't bother with this pocily as it's not worth the paper it's written on.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 27, 2019, 10:55 am

^ If the policy has a defined start and end date that coincides with the outbound and inbound travel dates that it is linked to and it is clearly stated in the small print that it can't be extended to cover something not intrinsically travel-related that happened during the period of coverage then there's not much that can be done to change that.

Getting snakebit doesn't happen too frequently and you already had more comprehensive travel and accident insurance running concurrently. I would take it as a 300 baht learning experience.

Good of you to point out that limitation though. I have always considered those cheap, add-on travel insurance deals as SOLELY travel-related such has flight delays, missed connections, unscheduled overnights, lost luggage and the like.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 27, 2019, 2:32 pm

Yes I'm lucky I have a backup, so for those who want to know, this insurance is offered when booking online with Thaiair and ThaiSmile, it comes up as option when your nearly on the last page.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 27, 2019, 3:35 pm

Kakariki
I’m interested in your Cobra bite. If you care to share the experience? It’s not every day you hear of this about an expat in Udon.
What did you and the Thai’s do with the initial bite. Was help at the hospital forthcoming in knowledge of cobra bites. Antivenin available? etc
Curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 29, 2019, 12:38 pm

Barney wrote:
August 27, 2019, 3:35 pm
Kakariki
I’m interested in your Cobra bite. If you care to share the experience? It’s not every day you hear of this about an expat in Udon.
What did you and the Thai’s do with the initial bite. Was help at the hospital forthcoming in knowledge of cobra bites. Antivenin available? etc
Curious
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well riding my scooter about 300 metres from my house to buy some iced coffee, and a large cobra crossed the road in front of me, but on the angle. So as I couldn't ride over him squarely for fear of falling off, I had to brake and line him up squarely, my front wheel went over him by the time I stopped, and I had to put my feet down for balance, and snap, he was under the scooter and bit me on the ankle. I knew I had at least 10 minutes so I just took off to Wattana hospital and went in and told them what happened, straight into ICU for monitoring although no major symptoms yet. They didn't have antivenin, but immediately got some from BKK hospital. I was monitored overnight with no symptoms and left the next day, but needed to stay near the hospital just in case, a final check 5 days later and I was all clear.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » August 29, 2019, 4:04 pm

Just to be clear, you stopped, lined up the bike and then rode over him ?
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » August 29, 2019, 4:32 pm

Sorry to hear your encounter with a not so friendly local.
Did you study the PDS for this policy and verify the exclusions?
You should be covered as the incident occurred during your paid for nominated dates.
It is very unusual that they denied your claim.
Who was/is the underwriter of the policy?
Voiceover for hire.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 29, 2019, 9:13 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:
August 29, 2019, 4:32 pm
You should be covered as the incident occurred during your paid for nominated dates.
Chubb Samaggi Insurance..

I would guess that for 300 baht, outside of flight delays and missing bags, their exclusions are long and complex.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 30, 2019, 4:58 am

joepai wrote:
August 29, 2019, 4:04 pm
Just to be clear, you stopped, lined up the bike and then rode over him ?
No, I rode over him whist braking as I couldn't go around him.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 30, 2019, 5:01 am

tamada wrote:
August 29, 2019, 9:13 pm
Raoul Duke wrote:

I would guess that for 300 baht, outside of flight delays and missing bags, their exclusions are long and complex.
The policy is offered by Thai Air and is underwritten by Allianz Th

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 30, 2019, 10:52 am

kakariki wrote:
August 30, 2019, 5:01 am
tamada wrote:
August 29, 2019, 9:13 pm
Raoul Duke wrote:

The policy is offered by Thai Air and is underwritten by Allianz Th
The Thai Smile insurance I purchased mid-July was underwritten by Chubb Samaggi Insurance. Maybe they've changed recently, maybe they have multiple carriers or THAI has a different carrier.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » September 1, 2019, 5:26 am

The Thai Smile insurance I purchased mid-July was underwritten by Chubb Samaggi Insurance. Maybe they've changed recently, maybe they have multiple carriers or THAI has a different carriers.

That's interesting, I purchased this on the 30th June. and definately Allianz Travel Insurance, they won't even return my emails now or discuss it further, just shows what a crap company they are.

Return to “Travel & Transport”