Udon Thani Immigration:Is Affidavit still valid for non USA, UK, DK, AUS retirees?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Tartempion
udonmap.com

Udon Thani Immigration:Is Affidavit still valid for non USA, UK, DK, AUS retirees?

Post by Tartempion » August 17, 2019, 7:55 am

Is Affidavit still valid for non USA, UK, DK, AUS retirees at Udon Tani Immigration?

As a Belgian national I have been using the affidavit from my embassy since ages (2002 onward somewhere)

My extension expires 03 November and I just read Rayong immigration no longer accepts the Belgian embassy affidavit.
In fact from what I understand the problem is not the affidavit in se, but the proof of income of the amounts mentioned.
He showed bank transfers into his Thai bank account but immigration did not recognize the transfer codes as international transfers...

They want to see 800K in the bank or 12 DIRECT payments from a pension institution into a Thai bank, not from a foreign account, because you could repatriate that amount each month and re-transfer endlessly...this on the orders of Bangkok immigration...

My Rayong friend extension has been bluntly refused, he got a 2 months stamp to have 400K in the bank using the marriage extension as a humanitarian gesture...

Thus my question: has anyone used the affidavit embassy letter recently from other countries than USA, UK, DK, AUS?

My way out would be to open an 800k fixed account Monday, money needed for two months before applying.

Not sure I want to risk a wall in October...
I still would prefer the embassy affidavit letter.
I find the money trail ridiculous: we are in the 21st century. I pay hotel bills for Thai related holiday and airline tickets with my Belgian credit card, no need to transfer all my funds.
Last edited by Tartempion on August 17, 2019, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: Is Affidavit still valid for non USA, UK, DK, AUS retirees?

Post by RLTrader » August 17, 2019, 11:19 am

If you are talking about Udon Immigration? It would be best to stop by and ask. As far as I know they are still accepting as proof of income, and the Doc they are handing out on requirements, lists #5 it as acceptable.

But of course come Nov anything could happen.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani Immigration:Is Affidavit still valid for non USA, UK, DK, AUS retirees?

Post by Giggle » August 17, 2019, 2:33 pm

If your money is in Belgium, they can't seize it. If its in a Thai bank, they can.

They have no tolerance for getting stuck with dead farang hospital bills -- that's not the purpose of hosting this herd of milking cows. It's a one-way street.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Tartempion
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani Immigration:Is Affidavit still valid for non USA, UK, DK, AUS retirees?

Post by Tartempion » August 17, 2019, 3:17 pm

I asked if someone recently used an embassy affidavit.
I stopped asking Thai people questions long time ago, immigration or any kind of professionals.
The answer you get is always rubbish.
Asking advice for a vacuum cleaner 10 years ago at Home Pro the sales guy said the green one was the better. Then I ordered a car at a Nissan garage and several months later they delivered something different from what was on the order.

I now buy directly from Lazada.

The save thing to do now is to open an account with 800k, but I still will try the embassy affidavit, just for fun, thanks.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 17, 2019, 4:24 pm

the problem with the belgian embassy (and some others) is that the affidavit is made on a declaration of honor by the applicant , the embassy is not going to start inquiries if these declarations are true ,neither asks for any proof this declaration is legit , and yes the declaration need to be certified by foreign affairs , but this only means they vouch for the consuls signature not the declared amount ..., i know a guy from holland before who did the same , pension about 28.000 baht/month , but his declaration of honor said 70.000 baht... :-k , maybe immigration finally got a smell of this? ;)

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 17, 2019, 5:30 pm

Tartempion wrote:
August 17, 2019, 7:55 am
Is Affidavit still valid for non USA, UK, DK, AUS retirees at Udon Tani Immigration?

As a Belgian national I have been using the affidavit from my embassy since ages (2002 onward somewhere)

My extension expires 03 November and I just read Rayong immigration no longer accepts the Belgian embassy affidavit.
In fact from what I understand the problem is not the affidavit in se, but the proof of income of the amounts mentioned.
He showed bank transfers into his Thai bank account but immigration did not recognize the transfer codes as international transfers...

They want to see 800K in the bank or 12 DIRECT payments from a pension institution into a Thai bank, not from a foreign account, because you could repatriate that amount each month and re-transfer endlessly...this on the orders of Bangkok immigration...

My Rayong friend extension has been bluntly refused, he got a 2 months stamp to have 400K in the bank using the marriage extension as a humanitarian gesture...

Thus my question: has anyone used the affidavit embassy letter recently from other countries than USA, UK, DK, AUS?

My way out would be to open an 800k fixed account Monday, money needed for two months before applying.

Not sure I want to risk a wall in October...
I still would prefer the embassy affidavit letter.
I find the money trail ridiculous: we are in the 21st century. I pay hotel bills for Thai related holiday and airline tickets with my Belgian credit card, no need to transfer all my funds.
I seem to recall past discussions about this income letter to include the fact that since Thai Immigration would no longer accept it after January 1, they were allowing a grace period of six months for those who got their letters in December BEFORE the cutoff period. That grace period would have ended in June.

Maybe someone like STWW can refresh our memories. He keeps up with all of that very well.

The officers themselves don't seem to want to go through the meticulous calculations of monthly deposits, so they seem to be discouraging that process and much prefer seeing 800,000+ in an account and pounding those rubber stamps in about 15 minutes.

If you want to try the income letter, go for it; but my advice would include your own acknowledgement that the easiest way is to put 800,000 in the bank.

Good luck!
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 18, 2019, 6:41 am

it should read ,easiest way WAS to put 800,000 in the bank, i did this too as i still have to wait 10 years to get pension ,what i don't like is now immigration wanting to control my own money by telling 400.000 can not be touched ?,
i will go back to the marriage extension with his ridiculous requirements ... again a shot in their own foot as many people will do this giving io more work ...:(

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 18, 2019, 7:19 am

kopkei wrote:
August 18, 2019, 6:41 am
it should read ,easiest way WAS to put 800,000 in the bank, i did this too as i still have to wait 10 years to get pension ,what i don't like is now immigration wanting to control my own money by telling 400.000 can not be touched ?,
i will go back to the marriage extension with his ridiculous requirements ... again a shot in their own foot as many people will do this giving io more work ...:(
I feel the same way about them freezing 400,000; but there's not much anyone can do other than do what you plan to do: go back to the marriage extension requirements. As you correctly pointed out, it's probably going to create more work for the IOs. Do you know if you can withdraw any of the 400,000 in a marriage extension? I never investigated that.

I haven't read anything yet about the penalty for withdrawing funds within three months of renewing the visa. I haven't read anything yet about the penalty for withdrawing below the 400,000 baht threshold. I wonder how they plan to handle that if someone has an emergency or is sick, etc; and the funds are restored in time to meet the 3-months-prior deadline when it's time to renew again. Case by case basis? Deportation? Disallow that falang from having any further one-year extensions? I've never heard.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 18, 2019, 7:25 am

an other option i have been thinking about is switching every year , first year putting 800.000 on bank for retirement , next year using the 400.000 for based on marriage ...enc....and like this you have time to know if they will apply the new rules correctly ? ;)

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 18, 2019, 7:29 am

kopkei wrote:
August 18, 2019, 7:25 am
an other option i have been thinking about is switching every year , first year putting 800.000 on bank for retirement , next year using the 400.000 for based on marriage ...enc....and like this you have time to know if they will apply the new rules correctly ? ;)
That's a pretty good idea.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 18, 2019, 9:27 am

If I remember what I read a while back the account, be it 400k or 800k, can not be a joint account. If this is correct and the owner dies how does the Thai spouse get access to the funds?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 18, 2019, 10:56 am

Stantheman wrote:
August 18, 2019, 9:27 am
If I remember what I read a while back the account, be it 400k or 800k, can not be a joint account. If this is correct and the owner dies how does the Thai spouse get access to the funds?
She goes to the bank with death certificate.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » August 18, 2019, 5:29 pm

Lone Star wrote:
August 18, 2019, 7:19 am

I feel the same way about them freezing 400,000; but there's not much anyone can do other than do what you plan to do: go back to the marriage extension requirements. As you correctly pointed out, it's probably going to create more work for the IOs. Do you know if you can withdraw any of the 400,000 in a marriage extension? I never investigated that.

There's no mention of having to maintain 400,000 bht on a marriage extension ,only having 2 months prior to extension application and they are checking again before issuing the extension , usually 14 days before

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less
than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht
400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau
is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.
(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 19, 2019, 5:38 am

Hoopoe wrote:
August 18, 2019, 5:29 pm
There's no mention of having to maintain 400,000 bht on a marriage extension ,only having 2 months prior to extension application and they are checking again before issuing the extension , usually 14 days before

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less
than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht
400,000 to cover expenses for one year.
For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau
is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.
(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income
of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in
Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.
Never saw that anywhere. Thanks!

That process, if they stick to it, is an easy way to maintain cash in-hand without tying it up for the whole year in a bank account. The way I read it, as long as there is 400,000 in the account 2 months before renewal, everything is fine and dandy.

I don't need to do this, but I may go see my friendly, neighborhood IO and ask him about it.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » August 23, 2019, 7:33 am

I've done this for 16 years , the answer is in the last sentence (6) to cover expenses for one year , this is from their official translated pages , NOT thai visa .com

Tartempion
udonmap.com

Post by Tartempion » August 25, 2019, 5:28 am

I opened a fixed deposit account (6 months) with 800k at Siam Commercial Bank, at TMB where I previously had a fixed deposit account I was refused a new account with the blabla I needed to figure in my partner's tabien ban (we are not married) and some other requirements I did not listen to more nonsense and walked out their office not until having emptied my partners 800K baht account. The idea for her account was if I d not wake up in the morning she has no hassle, now she will: I will need a will to allocate that account to her.

Anyway, I will get an affidavit from my embassy in October and use that for my extension renewal as I did for some years.
I have the 800k account for just in case and always could return the 800k to my partner...

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » August 25, 2019, 6:05 am

RLTrader wrote:
August 18, 2019, 10:56 am
Stantheman wrote:
Or you could simply keep simply keep the account in just your name but make her a joint signatory, which means it's your money but either can withdraw it at any time, works well for me .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » August 25, 2019, 7:56 am

[background=]
Old Grumpy wrote:
August 25, 2019, 6:05 am
RLTrader wrote:
August 18, 2019, 10:56 am
Stantheman wrote:
Or you could simply keep simply keep the account in just your name but make her a joint signatory, which means it's your money but either can withdraw it at any time, works well for me .

Stan you are correct , the requirements for retirement or marriage funds in the bank cannot be joint account ,
As for taking death certificate that's ok if your married ,,if your not LEGALLY married ,(little village ceremony doesn't count )then a can of worms will be opened , with the bank refusing to hand over dosh due to lack of proof ,
In June i needed to get 100,000 bht to pay up front at Q S heart hospital for an OP , sent the wife to BKK bank with withdrawal slip counter signed on the back (i've done this before ) they refused as had changed the rules ,BUT the bank sent one of their tellers to the hospital so i could sign it in front of them , on coming out of hospital i opened another account and deposited enough funds into it to cover any further emergencies , it's a joint account only one signature needed ,
But the easiest way to get round if you pop your cloggs , is write out a simple Will (i've done two ,one for England ,the other for Thailand ,) There's plenty of free templates on the internet that you can use ,

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 25, 2019, 9:06 am

Check with your bank, and then DON'T take their word for it. A legal spouse with a death certificate will not be able to access your cash in your individual account in the event of your death. You'd better have a Last Will and Testament for the Kingdom of Thailand, and that will have to be probated in the court and a Letters Testamentary issued before your surviving spouse can access your funds. Also, you can give your spouse a Power of Attorney provided by the bank on a single account to access that account while you are still living, but in the event of your death the POA ceases to be valid. I was advised by the Bangkok Bank main office in Bangkok to just make sure that my wife doesn't mention that I have died, then clean out the account before they find out. If she tells them you have passed on, then they will freeze the account and she's screwed if you haven't provided her with a Plan B.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 3, 2019, 5:21 pm

Stantheman wrote:
Setup your account with internet banking, give the internet account access information to your spouse. They can then immediately transfer the money out on your death. If trust is an issue then have someone who you do trust hold an envelope with full details to be handed over on your demise. You can work out other safeguards.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”