Bespoke Tailors?

General Udon Thani topics only!
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Bespoke Tailors?

Post by mathusalah80 » August 23, 2019, 12:48 pm

It seems only a few short years ago, prior to the Centara development, there was an abundance of Tailors in Udon. Sadly, my recent searches of the town's highways and bye ways have proved fruitless.
I am looking to have a couple of pairs of trousers made up. Can any member please help? If not seems I will have to resign myself to waiting until my next visit to Khon Kaen; where surely there must be at least one tailor! :-s
Thanks.

saint
udonmap.com

Re: Bespoke Tailors?

Post by saint » August 23, 2019, 12:59 pm

Same street Mayer restaurant , same side , about 10 shops before Mayer if coming from Phonsi road .
Lots of uniforms in the window .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 23, 2019, 1:12 pm

While there are fewer, there are still many around town. Suit Center, behind the jail house and directly across from my favorite noodle soup shop has been in business for decades. On SriChomCheun road, about 75m before the 4 way intersection behind the jail. I've never used them but they seem to do a steady business.
Suit Center (Thai sign) https://www.facebook.com/pages/%E0%B8%A ... 6302720410

Also, The Suit House 33 Thahan Rd, Tambon Mak Khaeng, เมือง Chang Wat Udon Thani 41000
เดอะสูทเฮาส์ อุดรธานี
33 ถนน ทหาร ตำบลหมากแข้ง เมือง อุดรธานี 41000
CQ3V+3Q Udon Thani, Mueang Udon Thani District, Udon Thani

089 619 9077

Open now: 9AM–6:30PM

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 26, 2019, 5:39 pm

Thanks gentlemen.

Suit Centre. Somewhat cramped for space, and very few bolts of cloth, the Proprietor using swatches from which you choose the material you want. After waiting some five minutes or so for him to finish his lunch, (!), looked through several swatches, and found some possibles, whilst trying to explain to him the general style of the trousers I wanted made up. Unfortunately, it quickly became obvious, put diplomatically, he and I were not compatible, and on completely different wavelengths, so we terminated the negotiations by mutual consent. Price quoted, per pair of trousers, Baht 900.

Next visited the Tailor's shop suggested by Saint. Owned by a lovely elderly couple who greeted us pleasantly and courteously immediately upon arrival.The husband, (tailor), listened attentively to my requirements, (as translated by my wife), and asked a few questions. He then pulled out from his substantial supplies on display, seven bolts of cloth from which I was happy to be able to select, without fuss or bother, exactly the clothes for which I was looking. Whilst taking my measurement, he made two or three helpful suggestions, which I adopted. The price agreed upon is Baht1900 per pair; which I consider prohibitive, (members views please). However, I decided to give myself next year's birthday present in advance, since I doubt I'll be around to celebrate it!
Incidentally, a couple of considerable discernment,as demonstrated by the fact that they sent two of their children to Australia to be educated, and both of whom had the good sense to marry Aussies and now live there permanently; although why they chose Sydney & Melbourne over Perth does puzzle me!!
I am scheduled to pick up the trousers 2/3 September, after which I will report back.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 27, 2019, 3:33 am

During my many vacations in Thailand I must have have purchased a dozen or more tailored suits and many sport coats and pairs of pants. My experiences taught me that as many of the tailor shops had poor lighting I should take the cloth samples outside where sunlight would enable me to clearly determine the color, texture and other before I made my selection.

The one general complaint I have is that Thai tailors use cheap zippers. I have had some zippers fail after moderate use. I now would request to see an example of the zipper. If it looked cheap, I would request a better quality zipper, preferably metal, before making a purchase.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 27, 2019, 7:03 am

I guess the price is dependent on the material selected , and how much of it is needed !
I think the price of 1900 baht reasonable for a tailor made fitted pair of slacks , when you consider a pair of Levi 501s would cost a lot more than that , even in a sale .
Anyways happy you found the place .

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 27, 2019, 10:46 am

Absolutely correct Saint. Forgot to mention I selected top quality Italian and English cloth.
Oh dear TJ, you have got me worried about the zipper ! I will just have to hope for the best, as I cannot get back to the Tailor until next Monday.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 27, 2019, 11:25 am

You should be OK Mat, although I am a bit surprised you didn't go for buttoned flies. :D

ps I hope the chap got it correct while determining which side you "dress" on. :oops:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 27, 2019, 12:14 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
August 27, 2019, 10:46 am
Absolutely correct Saint. Forgot to mention I selected top quality Italian and English cloth.
Oh dear TJ, you have got me worried about the zipper ! I will just have to hope for the best, as I cannot get back to the Tailor until next Monday.
Worry not . He makes a lot of uniforms that people wear on a daily basis , so doubt he would be using crap zips .
Buttons is not the way to go if youve got sausages for fingers .

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » September 2, 2019, 10:20 am

Picked up both pairs of trousers last Saturday. Excellently made and an excellent fit. Top quality zip, Saint, and yes Jackspratt, he did correctly guess, ( without personally checking), which side I 'dress' on; although at my stage in life this now small matter is no longer of any importance!!
Very courteous, and excellent, tailor, who I unreservedly recommend. Just a reminder; his name is Khun Thawee, and telephone numbers are 087-637-9939 mobile, and 042-241397 landline.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”