U.S. Politics

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: U.S. Politics

Post by Lone Star » August 31, 2019, 4:54 pm

ABC-Democrat-Debate-Lineup-640x480.jpg

Beto got bumped by Yang? Wow.

AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 31, 2019, 5:04 pm

"Specific words always mean something,"
This is only if you hear the words and what state they were said in. As an example saying "I am going to Kill you" can take on different meanings unless the person hears the actual words being said. This is why so many articles are misconstrued when read. The author means one thing while the reader(s) read another and the battle begns

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 31, 2019, 5:45 pm

The world as we know it seems to be coming to an end. :shock:

First this:
poll5.png
And now this - a piece of Fox propaganda really worth watching:

:D

Beware if the Dirty Digger aka Rupert Murdoch is having a change of heart. \:D/

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 1, 2019, 6:41 am

:lol:

Trump should be kissing the Dirty Digger's arse more than Putin's and Kim Jong-un's.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 1, 2019, 8:37 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 31, 2019, 5:45 pm
The world as we know it seems to be coming to an end.
. . .
Actually, your post shows that you haven't been paying attention. Cavuto is and has been a Never Trump guy for a long time. He's not the only one at Fox either. Research his commentaries on Trump.

You and the Head Cheerleader could host his show, and no one would realize that he's not there.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 1, 2019, 8:43 am

out of control.jpg

That's why the Left hates Trump. He doesn't take their nonsense.

GHWB 41, Dole, GWB 43, McCain and McRomney all hid under their desks. They didn't fight back. They didn't call out the liars. They didn't fight for anyone -- not even for themselves.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 1, 2019, 9:42 am

I don think he likes the Golden Wonder
I've taught US government for 40 years. Thanks to Trump, I'm doubting the Founders' plan.
Ross K. Baker, Opinion columnist,USA TODAY Opinion Fri, Aug 30 5:00 PM GMT+7

The day after Labor Day, I will stand behind a lectern in a lecture hall on the campus of Rutgers University and teach a course that I have taught for 40 years. I have always approached the first day eager to teach about the establishment of our republic and how government works today. In the past three years, the eagerness has curdled into apprehension as I debate with myself how even-handed I should be in dealing with a national government that I can no longer recognize, much less approve of.
It would be pointless for me and boring for the students to spend the semester assailing President Donald Trump for casting public service as contemptible with his unjustified disparagement of everyone from scientists at the Environmental Protection Agency to the chairman of the Federal Reserve. His contaminating influence has even spread beyond the executive branch to transform the United States Senate, an institution that I have long revered, into a pitiable amen corner that either assents to his most outrageous statements or passively cringes in silence.
Whom did they learn that from?: When one of my students grows up to be a moral adult, I'm shocked. And inspired.
I am now hesitant defending what I used to refer to as the “genius” of the framers of the Constitution because I no longer have confidence in the checks and balances that James Madison assured us were “auxiliary precautions” to prevent our government from going off the rails at times when the wisdom of the American people is faulty. The faultiness of that wisdom is, in my mind, on vivid display by the man they chose to lead the nation.
Serious flaws in the political system
It is hard for me now, in discussing the voting behavior of Americans, to grasp what kind of desperation prompted so many of my fellow citizens to choose and now enthusiastically support a man who has degraded the office of the presidency. How can American citizens in whom sovereignty resides have acted so irresponsibly? I will grant, however, that the alternative was not a good one. But that also speaks to serious flaws in the system.
I have searched for historical examples to reassure the students, and myself, that we have sometimes made poor choices in the men we have elected president, but that the damage that they inflicted on the country was slight and things turned out all right. I find it harder these days to use these historical examples, because they were part of a different time in which partisan strife was not so intractable and there were individuals who enjoyed universal respect to whom we could turn to help right the ship. Recently, people looked hopefully on the the prospect of William Barr as attorney general — another Elliot Richardson or William Ruckelshaus perhaps — only to see him mutate into a stooge for the president.

More distressing even than lacking good people to restore the nation such as in the aftermath of Watergate and Richard Nixon’s resignation has been the failure of those exiting the Trump administration to speak openly about the mismanagement, capriciousness and venality of the president and his entourage.
Many individuals who spoke privately about Trump’s ignorance and caprice, such as former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, slunk silently into retirement without getting on the record their obvious contempt for Trump. Even the vaunted truth-teller Defense Secretary James Mattis, whose departure was attributed to policy differences with the president, has not aired those differences so that the public could be able to evaluate whose version was the more credible.
Pulling my punches on Trump
Few of our past presidents were wholly conversant with constitutional law, but most seemed to be wary of the electrified wires of the system of separation of powers that defined limits they dared not transgress. Attributing to President Trump the most innocent interpretation of his abuses of power, such as the recent order to American companies to leave China, he has been exposed as a constitutional imbecile.
Just for the looks: My school's lockdown drills, active shooter training are security theater. Yours are, too.
More ominously, he is a man with dictatorial tendencies that exceed even of those past presidents most contemptuous of checks and balances. He has elevated the Second Amendment’s protection of gun ownership to a level above that of the First Amendment’s protection against the abridgment of a free press, and he tampers dangerously with the 14th Amendment’s clear message on birthright citizenship.
Ultimately, I will probably pull my punches because I don’t want to come across as a scold, and I will temper my words because I don’t want to give my students the idea that all is lost. It would be truly be the worst message of all.
Ross K. Baker is a distinguished professor of political science at Rutgers University and a member of USA TODAY's Board of Contributors.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 1, 2019, 9:50 am

For those who have the desire to learn . . .

There is a distinct difference between definitions of different words that communicate different statements vs the same exact words used with different intent.

Example 1:
• It didn't happen.
• I'm not aware that it happened.

Those two sentences do not communicate the same thing and use different words (except for 'it' and 'happen') that are defined differently and are not synonymous.

Then there is the interpretation of intent using the same words that are also defined the same in the same statement:

Example 2:
• I am going to kill you. (Serious)
• I am going to kill you. (Joke)

Those two sentences communicate the same thing in the same words. The only thing to determine is the speaker's or writer's intent. Defined, all the words in the 'kill' sentences mean the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Sometimes it's impossible to believe that anyone could be so damn wrong so often. However, if they don't care, then that explains the recurring stumbles.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 1, 2019, 10:05 am

China's factory orders and exports taking a huge hit.

Factory activity fell for the 4th straight month. Export orders fell for the 15th straight month.

All of this points to a further slowdown in the Chinese economy. This will probably require even more cash stimulus from Central Planning. China can't keep throwing money at losses in trade.

Global demand for China exports is also down due to a slowing global economy.

New orders domestically within China have also fallen.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 1, 2019, 10:13 am

Starting today, the US will impose a 15% tariff on apparel, footwear and other textiles from China.

Many US retailers are moving factories, suppliers and vendors out of China. I'm betting never to return to the risk of doing business in a communist country.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 1, 2019, 10:29 am

Establishment and political class rush to defend Biden's gaffes, misstatements, phony stories.

"Biden might embellish, but he's not a liar."

"Too much information in his brain."

If the Leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all. You can't be a Democrat without being a hypocrite.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 1, 2019, 10:33 am

invasion 19.0831.jpg

Mounting costs of illegal aliens are real.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 1, 2019, 10:43 am

"Many US retailers are moving factories, suppliers and vendors out of China. "

Such as ???? or is this once again just words

"Global demand for China exports is also down due to a slowing global economy."
I wonder where the slowing of the World economy came from?

Lets call on the Alarmists them bad bad people Why would they tell us months ago to be careful and now certain people are trying to blame them??

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 1, 2019, 10:49 am

nytimes headline 19.0901.jpg

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 1, 2019, 11:27 am

The move was already on a year ago BUT not back to the USA
and some companies will Consider moving. Moves could be to Taiwan, Communist Vietnam, certainly not Thailand we haven't heard much about North Korea now that could get them to stop building nuclear and nuclear subs

"Pressured by the surging tariffs on Chinese-made products imposed by the Trump administration, a majority of American companies that have manufacturing facilities in China are considering relocating production outside of China, but most of them have no plans to move back to the U.S. just yet, a recent poll found.
According to a survey of 219 companies by the American Chamber of Commerce in South China, a U.S. Chamber of Commerce-affiliated nonprofit representing over 2,300 American businesses in China, more than 70 percent of U.S. companies operating in southern China, the national hub for consumer product manufacturing, are considering either delaying investment there or moving production to other countries in order to keep the prices of final products stable for consumers."

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 1, 2019, 12:29 pm

Lone Star wrote:
September 1, 2019, 10:49 am
nytimes headline 19.0901.jpg
Really? Do you have a YouTube or other link? I'd love to see it. How sad.

Edited to add: Never mind, I just watched the whole video, a little over 10 minutes. This quote was taken out of context, a bit. And Chris Hayes undoubtedly wrote it that way for the comedic value. He clearly believes in abolishing the Electoral College. He does have a point, in that it doesn't work in the way that was envisioned by the Founding Fathers. There are certainly valid arguments on both sides of this question.

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » September 1, 2019, 2:26 pm

idiotdaughter-1.jpg
Lone Star wrote:
September 1, 2019, 10:13 am

Starting today, the US will impose a 15% tariff on apparel, footwear and other textiles from China.

Many US retailers are moving factories, suppliers and vendors out of China. I'm betting never to return to the risk of doing business in a communist country.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 1, 2019, 3:46 pm

My limited understanding of the Electoral College system was improved by watching the following video - which hopefully is an accurate reflection of how it works.

The system is clearly undemocratic. To be otherwise, the number of votes received by each candidate in the respective states would need to be reflected in the number of College votes received. =;

I wonder if anyone has done this calculation for the 2016 election?

I realise it is not going to change - more American exceptionalism I guess.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 2, 2019, 2:04 am

There is no need to be surprised. The USA is a Federal Republic. Nowhere in the constitution does it say the USA is a democracy.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » September 2, 2019, 5:25 am

First, regarding the essay by the political science teacher at Rutgers. As I read I began to think it would be a useful tool if Obama was substituted for Trump along with the names other Obama administration agents. If in fact he taught political science at Rutgers for forty years he could only be a Progressive committed to brainwashing students in the Postmodern/Marxist ideology. If he hadn't been a leftist, he would never lasted 40 years. At present he wouldn't have lasted three years if he did not toe the far left line.

The video discussing the Electoral College may generally be true, but it does not tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Among my personal library are many books describing the people and circumstances concerning the deliberation and construction of the U.S. Constitution which was created by a committee involving a great many negotiated compromises among the participating state representatives. There is much more to be told about this particular aspect.

The Electoral College was one of many compromises necessary for persuading the weaker and less populated states to sign and submit their states to a governing federated state. When nine of the thirteen states signed on to the U.S. Constitution the United States was formed. The pressures and considerations that brought the remaining four states to join the union is another interesting piece of U.S. history. And at the time every one of the thirteen states knew that they had the right to leave the U.S. union whenever their citizens demanded. This right was universally known and respected up to the time of the invasion by the North following the secession of the southern Confederate states in the early 1860s.

Return to “U.S. Politics”