Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
Barney
udonmap.com

Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Post by Barney » June 9, 2019, 9:48 am

Couple of photo’s of mum and the kids having a swim yesterday down the back of my place. Had to have a second glance as I rode past.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Post by parrot » June 11, 2019, 2:03 pm

If you continue north from Wat Pha Phu Khon you'll encounter a long stretch of twists and turns that reminded my wife and me of the road from Chiangmai to Maehongson (1544 hairpin curves, as I recall). On one of the curves was this display of red Fanta bottles. No doubt, there were other things occupying that piece of turf.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 12, 2019, 5:08 pm

I considered running this photo in the "Is Udon in a Recession?" thread, but this is probably a more appropriate place. I'll spare the location....but it is a new Udon business....and yes, the name for the beauty clinic is "Oops Clinic"
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.18 KiB) Viewed 5807 times

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 13, 2019, 7:30 pm

It's one of my favorite signs.......easily qualifies as an international sign as no additional explanation is necessary. This one posted in the men's bathroom at Makro.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 13, 2019, 9:03 pm

If you think this is novel, you really need to check your reality meter. You've been about 20 years behind the curve since 2005.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 15, 2019, 2:15 pm

There are a number of things I'd love to try back in the US........just to see the reaction: 4 on a 125cc motorcycle, 18 packed in the back of a pickup, a VIGO (or similar) truck loaded 14' high with cabbage......and this guy, selling donuts at the kilo 5 ring road intersection near the airport. He's there everyday, but every time I think of taking his photo, the light is either green or he's turned away from me. Today I got him at a distance.
He wears long pants, a long sleeve shirt, gloves, a form fitting lower face mask that covers his mouth and nose, a knit hat, sunglasses, and one of those bunny-sort-of-hats on top of the knit hat. He's dressed like this everyday.......blazing hot or not.
I'm not sure what the reaction back in the US would be......say, if he were panhandling at an intersection in Houston on a steamy hot day......while the other panhandlers were in shorts and a muscle t-shirt. Would people call police because his face were completely hidden? I don't know.....but I've long wondered.
Any way you look at it, it's another one of the quintessentially Isaan photo ops.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 22, 2019, 6:45 pm

When I encountered this truck yesterday, a few memories:
Of the time in Taiwan, 5AM-ish, on the way to work in an AF bus, a motorcycle passed by with a naked body slung across the back. I was too shocked to say anything and only realized some time later that the body was a pig on the way to the market.
Of the time our neighborhood iced-coffee (no powder) had just died in a motorcycle accident. We were on the way to town. My wife consoled the husband a bit and we were off. On the way, my wife told me we were going to buy a coffin. A coffin it is.........near the C.A.T. office we selected one and they loaded it into the back of our truck. But first a quick bite to eat, then the 18km ride home to drop the coffin off. I had a strange feeling driving that day.

The coffin in this photo is obviously not empty.......and the body, I'm guessing, needs to get to the crematorium or to a refrigerated unit quickly. The woman with the facial mask is holding a single fat incense stick.
Things you probably never get to see in your home country.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 23, 2019, 7:30 pm

one time we were driving back around the ring road from the airport.. We got behind a covered song-taew type pickup truck that had about 8-9 uniformed soldiers in it on the bench seats. on the floor between them was what appeared to be a tightly wrapped shrouded body with the head, shoulders and crossed arms visible through the wrapping.. We followed them onto the Sakon road and they continued on that way. I could only figure it was a fellow soldier that they were "taking home" to his village for cremation..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 3, 2019, 4:16 pm

I spotted these 4 sardines as I was on my way to my lunch noodle slurp. They made it about 1/3 the way into the intersection as the light was turning. The driver apparently thought better of running the light and was back pedaling her way behind the white line....apparently to avoid 'violating the law'....ha ha. All immediately behind the jail.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 9, 2019, 1:04 pm

I'll guess that you could find a quintessentially Isaan photo every time you go to the jungle market in Ban Hui Deua (บ้านห้วยเตื่อ). Today, I spotted this OSHA approved baby swing, built out of four long springs attached to a coat hanger that had a circular cloth wrapped around it. The grandfather was swinging the girl up and down trying to put her to sleep.....then I came and asked to take a photo and she popped up.
I see contraptions like this and I occasionally read stories of children dying in baby chairs back in the US......and I wonder whether we're overdoing it in the US or under-doing it in Thailand.
I'm always on the lookout for a Thai vehicle with child safety seats in the back..........but I don't think the country has gotten there yet.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 17, 2019, 1:24 pm

I frequent a Yasotorn Lahb place along the Nongbualamphu-Udon Hwy. I've seen a variety of customers use this sink and not a one has complained.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 9, 2019, 4:28 pm

If you've lived in Thailand for any amount of time and haven't tried to carry a load of fruit or freshly harvested rice on your shoulders, you haven't experienced Thailand.
Today, while waiting for my wife's crown to be fitted, this man plodded by with his load of fruit. Just as he was passing the dental clinic, he let out a huff and put down his goods. I couldn't resist.....went out and bought some peanuts and yakked.....he's 51, 2 kids, lives in Udon. I asked how long has he been selling things this way. He looked at me quizzically and said 'a long time'. I asked if he'd eaten lunch yet......no. I paid 100 baht for the peanuts and a photo. Things like this aren't likely to be around for much longer.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 9, 2019, 7:20 pm

back so many years ago after a number of false starts and spilled pails I learned to "dak nam" using the carrying stick and two 2.5 gallon pails. Back in the past in order to fill up the big clay water jars we had to go to the temple and pull water out of a 35 foot deep well and carry the pails back to the house. A relatively short walk of about 150 meters but until I fully got the sway and bounce down there was a lot of spilled water.. Tossing an empty bucket down the well on a rope and having the knack of jerking the rope to flip the bucket over so it would fill was another lesson learned.
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 10, 2019, 6:13 pm

I got this (photo) at the market today. I don't recall ever getting such a thing in Bangkok or Phuket or Chiangmai. So it seems a reasonable quintessentially Isaan sort of thing.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 10, 2019, 6:27 pm

parrot wrote:
November 10, 2019, 6:13 pm
I got this (photo) at the market today. I don't recall ever getting such a thing in Bangkok or Phuket or Chiangmai. So it seems a reasonable quintessentially Isaan sort of thing.
Still all the ragen common in rural.areas .. im.guessing you were given.in a market of some kind ??

I like this thread .. nice idea mr parrot

Dm.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 10, 2019, 6:52 pm

"Still all the ragen common in rural.areas .. im.guessing you were given.in a market of some kind ??"

There's a Sunday market along the Udon-Nongwahsaw Highway, about 16km from Udon. It's near our home. Probably 50% of the vendors are nearby villagers selling their fruits/veggies/meats. Unlike bigger daily markets, I'd guess most of these fruits/veggies come from their own farms, rather than from the big wholesale market near Makro.
As with most all market vendors, they like it when you give them loose change......my wife and I can unload a pocketful of change in one market trip. I think I'll unload this 10 baht "coin" in one of the big stores like Lotus or a restaurant like MK.......just to see what kind of reaction I get.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 10, 2019, 6:57 pm

Quite a few markets around me ...from.frogs to flip flops rats to remote control.cars .. today to big sellers seemed winter jackets as dropped to 17 here last night ..bloomin lovely twas too sat on mi porch n my boxera with a horlicks .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 10, 2019, 6:58 pm

All the old ladies on the market are armed with the 5 n 10 bt 100bt sets you posted

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 11, 2019, 11:15 am

..bloomin lovely twas too sat on mi porch n my boxera with a horlicks.....Jon, I'll bet THAT Was a sight to Behold,Were the Boxers PINK ??

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 11, 2019, 3:04 pm

747man wrote:
November 11, 2019, 11:15 am
..bloomin lovely twas too sat on mi porch n my boxera with a horlicks.....Jon, I'll bet THAT Was a sight to Behold,Were the Boxers PINK ??
No ..LILAC

Back on topic bought some Khao Tom.Gluay today at village market n knock me over with a feather the old dear gave me change all in coins as per parrots pic...she also said i look.strong and fat (thanks)but more impressive also.
.told me the next winning lotto.numbers

Isaan village theme another large hornets nest was removed from.the local temple roof overhang ..smoked out then to be eaten .. not b4 badly stinging a small child and 3 dogs .. i didnt hang around to take a pic as these things pa k a serious paralysing bite n can be fatal.if numerous .The nest itself looked like a big cardboard box super glued to the roof overhang ..

Dm.

Return to “Society and culture”