Philippine Adventure

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
vlad
udonmap.com

Philippine Adventure

Post by vlad » July 16, 2019, 11:57 pm

As some of you know ive decided to give Thailand a miss at the mo and im looking at the Phillipines for a month before trying Vietnam. I have trawled over site after site but nothing realy excites me most of the Islands I have liked at are two quiet and not for me. I am looking for a good beach place lively nightlife and a hotel wih a pool. Can any of the members recomend anywhere I dony want to go to Manila and Cebu doesn't realy look like Beachy place. cheers.

arjay
udonmap.com

Re: Philippine Adventure

Post by arjay » October 7, 2019, 2:53 am

vlad wrote:
July 16, 2019, 11:57 pm
As some of you know ive decided to give Thailand a miss at the mo and im looking at the Phillipines for a month before trying Vietnam. I have trawled over site after site but nothing realy excites me most of the Islands I have liked at are two quiet and not for me. I am looking for a good beach place lively nightlife and a hotel wih a pool. Can any of the members recomend anywhere I dony want to go to Manila and Cebu doesn't realy look like Beachy place. cheers.
Hi Vlad,

I'm interested to know, if you went to the PI's and if so, what you thought of the places you went to?

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » October 7, 2019, 6:02 pm

Giving it a miss Arjay getting bad reports about crime and even kidnappings in holiday islands I've booked a week in Cambodia instead

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 20, 2019, 11:36 pm

vlad wrote:
October 7, 2019, 6:02 pm
Giving it a miss Arjay getting bad reports about crime and even kidnappings in holiday islands I've booked a week in Cambodia instead
Ok, understood. I look forward to a report on Cambodia in due course, then. :D

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » October 23, 2019, 10:53 pm

a brit and his wife were kidnapped recently
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... hilippines

A British national and his Filipina wife have been abducted from a resort in the southern Philippines.

Armed men took the couple from a resort they own in Tukuran town, Zamboanga Del Sur, at 6.50pm on Friday.

The man is a dual national who has lived in the province, where he and his wife own and operate several businesses, since 2013.
Philippines: Isis claims bombing that killed five on Jolo island
Read more

A police spokesperson, Maj Helen Galvez, told the Guardian two of the suspects checked into the resort a day before the abduction and waited for the couple to arrive.

“They own a lot of properties and business so they are always moving. The suspects waited for the victims to arrive at the resort,” Galvez said.

More gunmen arrived and entered the resort on Friday, taking the couple to the shore, and forcing them into two motorboats. The vessels left in two directions but it was not clear if the couple were in one boat or were separated.
the only good Tory is a lavatory

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » October 23, 2019, 11:05 pm

Terrorism Risk in the Philippines

Terrorism is perhaps the biggest threat to tourist safety in the Philippines and continues to be an increasing and ongoing problem.

The whole of the far south is a no-go zone: the areas of Mindanao, the Sulu Archipelago, and the Zamboanga Peninsula are all considered extremely dangerous and travelers are advised to stay away. The terrorist group Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has been blamed for numerous violent incidents, kidnappings, and frequent clashes with the Filipino security forces.

Spin-off terrorist groups, including the Abu Sayyaf Group and Jema‘ah Islamiyah, have broken away from MILF, and are particularly dangerous. They are responsible for bombings which have resulted in property damage, injury and death. The more rural areas of the country, including the island of Luzon to the north, should be avoided as it has seen the increased presence of the terrorist organization, The New People‘s Army (NPA).

Over the past few years, terrorist acts, involving explosive devices in North Cotabato Province, Basilan, Isabela City, Jolo, Cotabato City, Makati and the Zamboanga airport, have resulted in 41 deaths, and severe injury to well over 100 more. Most of the bombings took place on public transportation, and in crowded locations including restaurants and cathedrals.

The unpredictability of terrorist acts makes them much more dangerous, so steer clear of the locations where they are more likely to occur.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 24, 2019, 3:50 am

Izzix, what is the source for this analysis? It is obvious that you did not write it. I am surprised the Huks did not get a passing mention.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » October 24, 2019, 9:48 pm

worldnomads.com

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 24, 2019, 10:12 pm

Thanks.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 24, 2019, 10:41 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
October 24, 2019, 3:50 am
Izzix, what is the source for this analysis? It is obvious that you did not write it. I am surprised the Huks did not get a passing mention.
The Huks have basically been gone since mid 50's

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » October 27, 2019, 5:14 pm

vlad wrote:
July 16, 2019, 11:57 pm
I have trawled over site after site but nothing realy excites me most of the Islands I have liked at are two quiet and not for me. I am looking for a good beach place lively nightlife and a hotel wih a pool. Can any of the members recomend anywhere I dony want to go to Manila and Cebu doesn't realy look like Beachy place. cheers.
I wouldn't recommend the beaches in Manila, Vlad, especially the one at Ermita, but I would say go to Occidental Mindoro and Puerto Galera. It might have changed since I was last there as the Locals were dynamiting the coral reefs to catch fish.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » October 27, 2019, 7:14 pm

Mindanao is the go-to place for Brittles. Zamboanga and points south. Especially Isabella.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 1, 2019, 8:19 pm

vlad wrote:
Be careful where you go in Cambodia vlad....
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GO TO SIHANOUKVILLE.... used to be a nice laid back beach resort but the Chinese have taken it over. It's just a large building site now... a dump... nearly all the expats have left.
Siam Reap is OK although more expensive than other places in Cambodia.Angkor Wat well worth seeing.
For a newcomer Phnom Penh is probably your best bet. Get a hotel within walking distance of the river. Very lively nightlife... streets 104 and 136 you will like... very cheap beer too. Quite a few decent restaurants in the city.
Kampot appears to be the latest "in place ".A lot of expats from Sihanoukville have relocated there.

Some pointers about Cambodia generally....
Be careful if you are on your own after midnight... applies to a lot of countries I guess.
Take some Imodium with you just in case. Some of the food can be a bit hit and miss.
For expats it's easy to get a long term visa. No proof of income requirements. If things went "tits up" for a retiree in Thailand,Cambodia is a good option if you wanted to buy a bit of time to get things sorted. (doesn't apply to you vlad I know)

Enjoy your trip...
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » November 1, 2019, 8:54 pm

Thanks Zidane I'm staying in PP I have a friend who owns 2 bars and my hotel has a pool with walking distance. To the areas you mentioned I won't be going to Sinook I've heared all the bad reports so I'll have a beer with you in Udon if you fancy it when I arrive on the 8th Dec cheers

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 3, 2019, 2:37 am

Giggle wrote:
October 27, 2019, 7:14 pm
Mindanao is the go-to place for Brittles. Zamboanga and points south. Especially Isabella.
Brits don't fit in, in the PI.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 3, 2019, 12:02 pm

Zamboanga ?? My Mate and I Had flight tickets to there in 1980....I Was ADVISED Not to go there by The Staff at Philippine Airlines office in Manila ( So THEY Knew of the Dangers We Would face ) They advised that they would change the ticket & send us to Cebu,Which they Did it was Nice & Peaceful There,Only one Problem We Both got Acute Food Poisoning from eating Seafood ( Prawns ) We were Ill for about a Week & in the end We were Medivaced back to Manila & On to Hong Kong then onto Blighty ( Paid for by Our Travel Insurance )Flown 1st Class from Hong Kong to London Gatwick in 1st Class on a British Caledonian Airways..DC10......

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 3, 2019, 2:19 pm

747man wrote:
November 3, 2019, 12:02 pm
Zamboanga ?? My Mate and I Had flight tickets to there in 1980....I Was ADVISED Not to go there by The Staff at Philippine Airlines office in Manila ( So THEY Knew of the Dangers We Would face ) They advised that they would change the ticket & send us to Cebu,Which they Did it was Nice & Peaceful There,Only one Problem We Both got Acute Food Poisoning from eating Seafood ( Prawns ) We were Ill for about a Week & in the end We were Medivaced back to Manila & On to Hong Kong then onto Blighty ( Paid for by Our Travel Insurance )Flown 1st Class from Hong Kong to London Gatwick in 1st Class on a British Caledonian Airways..DC10......
A couple of mates tried PHillies instead of Thailand this n last year (Cebu n Mindanao), all have had slightly negative comments n will return to LOS over the PH but may try other Asean countries , i presume they mean Cambodia etc .. they also suffered with serious food poisoning in the PH.

Sounds like a fabulous holiday Alan .. i bet you cried all the way back , 1st class free champers n caviar n you had dodgy guts.

sorry :lol: :lol:

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 3, 2019, 5:05 pm

747man wrote:
Only one Problem We Both got Acute Food Poisoning from eating Seafood ( Prawns ) We were Ill for about a Week & in the end We were Medivaced back to Manila & On to Hong Kong then onto Blighty ( Paid for by Our Travel Insurance )Flown 1st Class from Hong Kong to London Gatwick in 1st Class on a British Caledonian Airways..DC10......
Did you have enough clean underpants for the flight home, old chum?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 3, 2019, 11:16 pm

Earnest wrote:
November 3, 2019, 5:05 pm
747man wrote:
Only one Problem We Both got Acute Food Poisoning from eating Seafood ( Prawns ) We were Ill for about a Week & in the end We were Medivaced back to Manila & On to Hong Kong then onto Blighty ( Paid for by Our Travel Insurance )Flown 1st Class from Hong Kong to London Gatwick in 1st Class on a British Caledonian Airways..DC10......
Did you have enough clean underpants for the flight home, old chum?
I DON'T Wear Them.......

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 4, 2019, 12:06 am

Zidane wrote:
November 1, 2019, 8:19 pm
vlad wrote:

Some pointers about Cambodia generally....
Be careful if you are on your own after midnight... applies to a lot of countries I guess.
Take some Imodium with you just in case. Some of the food can be a bit hit and miss.
For expats it's easy to get a long term visa. No proof of income requirements. If things went "tits up" for a retiree in Thailand,Cambodia is a good option if you wanted to buy a bit of time to get things sorted. (doesn't apply to you vlad I know)

Enjoy your trip...
It appears you have spent some time there? I'm from the U.S. and my intention in the near future is to start my retirement in Cambodia because of the ease of getting a visa then eventually work my way to Thailand after a year. My question is how to get money in from the U.S.? Because I want to use the dollar and not the Riel, I am not able to find any alternatives except Western Union. Any advice?

Return to “Travel & Transport”