sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 26, 2019, 9:17 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
October 26, 2019, 8:31 pm
October 26, 2019, 4:48 pm
sgt wrote:
October 26, 2019, 4:20 pm
OK, I've read through it several times, still aren't sure what it says. But it appears to say all extensions of stay for Non O-A or rather extension of stay based on retirement.
The wording is that extensions of stay (for retirement) where the original visa entry was a Non-OA need insurance issued in Thailand. There is a document that may be accepted for foreign issued insurance.

It does not say that extensions of stay (for retirement) where the original visa entry was a Non-O need insurance.

Immigration officials may ask for insurance for all extensions of stay (for retirement) but that is not what is stated in the English translation.
So, if one is currently on an existing Non Imm O-A Visa, where the 12 months runs out in February 2020,
Q1. Does this latest revelation from them indicate or suggest that I will need to take out a Thai based Insurance on 01 November 2019
Q2. Or does it indicate or suggest that I will need to take out a Thai bases Insurance before February 2020, i.e. before I attempt to extend my Non Imm O-A Visa (in January 2020) for a second/another 12 months

I should say that I already have in place International Insurance Cover, current until 30 June 2020, but they (the Tahi Immigration) will probably ignore that .

pipoz4444
A 1. If you do not intend to travel outside Thailand before February 2020 you do not need insurance until just before your trip. Immigration officials are extremely unlikely to do anything until you need to extend a permission to stay.

A 2. The wording is that, YES you must have insurance when you reenter Thailand with a current OA Visa after October 31
Also even if you can get the form signed that validates your foreign insurance you would NOT get a 1 year permission to stay it would expire on the same day as your insurance 30 June 2020 not the expected January/February 2021

FWIW you can never extend a visa, you can exist before the multiple entry visa expires and get a new permission to stay.

I am on a Non Imm 0-A Visa, having entered Thailand on it in late March 2019. It was stamped when I entered as good until 27 March 2020

I have left Thailand and returned to Thailand four times since March 2019. Most recently having taken a trip to a neighboring Country and returned to Thailand onn 19 October 2019, with no questions asked, at the Bangkok Airport

Bangkok: Very recently I put a question to a person reasonably senior in the Thai Immigration Department in Bangkok.

Question: If I travel outside of Thailand on the 24 November 2019 and then return on 01 December 2019, will I need to have my Long Stay Visa insurance in place before I leave Thailand, so that I can return and stay/continue on with my 12 month multiple entry Non Imm 0-A Visa, through to March 2020.

Answer: Was an unequivocal "NO, you do not need to take out your Long Stay Insurance for this planned trip at the end of November 2019, because you are already on a 12 month multiple entry Non Imm 0-A Visa, which doesn't expire until March 2020. \:D/ \:D/

Udon Thani: Today I visited Udon Thani Immigration and asked the same question about my planned trip in late November 2019. I was referred to their Supervisor there. Today's Answer from the Udon Thani Immigration Supervisor, was - NO, you do not need to take out your Long Stay Insurance for this planned trip at the end of November 2019, in order to be able to return and continue on your Non Imm 0-A Visa. But you will need our Long Stay Insurance in place before you extend you our Long Stay Visa in February/March 2020. =D> =D>

Two Immigration Departments, and the same answer from both. I don't need my Long Stay Insurance in place before I travel in and out over the next 3 or so month. Only need it when my Long Stay Visa comes up for Renewal/Extension \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Mandatory health insurance for Non O-A visa effective from 31 October

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 28, 2019, 6:55 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 28, 2019, 6:47 pm
October 26, 2019, 9:17 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
October 26, 2019, 8:31 pm
October 26, 2019, 4:48 pm
sgt wrote:
October 26, 2019, 4:20 pm
OK, I've read through it several times, still aren't sure what it says. But it appears to say all extensions of stay for Non O-A or rather extension of stay based on retirement.
The wording is that extensions of stay (for retirement) where the original visa entry was a Non-OA need insurance issued in Thailand. There is a document that may be accepted for foreign issued insurance.

It does not say that extensions of stay (for retirement) where the original visa entry was a Non-O need insurance.

Immigration officials may ask for insurance for all extensions of stay (for retirement) but that is not what is stated in the English translation.
So, if one is currently on an existing Non Imm O-A Visa, where the 12 months runs out in February 2020,
Q1. Does this latest revelation from them indicate or suggest that I will need to take out a Thai based Insurance on 01 November 2019
Q2. Or does it indicate or suggest that I will need to take out a Thai bases Insurance before February 2020, i.e. before I attempt to extend my Non Imm O-A Visa (in January 2020) for a second/another 12 months

I should say that I already have in place International Insurance Cover, current until 30 June 2020, but they (the Tahi Immigration) will probably ignore that .

pipoz4444
A 1. If you do not intend to travel outside Thailand before February 2020 you do not need insurance until just before your trip. Immigration officials are extremely unlikely to do anything until you need to extend a permission to stay.

A 2. The wording is that, YES you must have insurance when you reenter Thailand with a current OA Visa after October 31
Also even if you can get the form signed that validates your foreign insurance you would NOT get a 1 year permission to stay it would expire on the same day as your insurance 30 June 2020 not the expected January/February 2021

FWIW you can never extend a visa, you can exist before the multiple entry visa expires and get a new permission to stay.

I am on a Non Imm 0-A Visa, having entered Thailand on it in late March 2019. It was stamped when I entered as good until 27 March 2020

I have left Thailand and return to Thailand four times since March 2019, most recently having returned on 19 October 2019, with no questions asked

Very recently I put the question to a person reasonably senior in the Thai Immigration Department in Bangkok.

Question: If I travel outside of Thailand on the 24 November 2019 and return on 01 December 2019, will I need to have my Long Stay Visa insurance in place before I leave Thailand, so that I can return and stay/continue on with my 12 month multiple entry Non Imm 0-A Visa.

Answer: Was an unequivocal "NO, you do not need to take out your Long Stay Insurance for this planned trip in three weeks time, because you are already on a 12 month multiple entry Non Imm 0-A Visa, which doesn't expire until March 2020. \:D/ \:D/

Today I visited Udon Thani Immigration and asked the same question about my planned trip in late November 2019. I was referred to their Supervisor there. Today's Answer from the Udon Thani Immigration Supervisor, was - NO, you do not need to take out your Long Stay Insurance for this planned trip at the end of November 2019, in order to be able to return and continue on your Non Imm 0-A Visa. But you will need our Long Stay Insurance in place before you extend you our Long Stay Visa in February/March 2020. =D> =D>

Tow Immigration Department, and the same answer from both. I don't need my Long Stay Insurance in place before I travel in and out over the next 3 or so month. Only need it when my Long Stay Visa comes up for Renewal/Extension \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444
Thanks for the report and taking the the time to get information from people who probably know what they are talking about.

I’m sure it’s good news for anyone who currently has a Non-OA that they have more than a year before they have to be concerned.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 28, 2019, 8:02 pm

The intention now is that I will fly out for a week just before my Non-Imm Type O-A Vista expires, sometime in March 2020, and then re-enter Thailand on a 30 Day Tourist Visa.

After being back a week, I will then apply for a Non-Imm Type O Visa (not a extension of my O-A), which when the Type O is approved, will give me 90 Days. During that 90 day period, at some later point, I will apply to convert my Type O Visa over to a Retirement Visa.

Thus, I wont at this stage (unless the rules change) be required to take out Long Stay Visa Health insurance or any other Insurance cover, for that matter

I should add that I already have International Health Insurance cover (which is good for Thailand), so there is no point in me duplicating it. Its a different risk matter, for those who live in Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) with no health Insurance cover

Regards

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 28, 2019, 8:20 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 28, 2019, 8:02 pm
The intention now is that I will fly out for a week just before my Non-Imm Type O-A Vista expires, sometime in March 2020, and then re-enter Thailand on a 30 Day Tourist Visa.

After being back a week, I will then apply for a Non-Imm Type O Visa (not a extension of my O-A), which when the Type O is approved, will give me 90 Days. During that 90 day period, at some later point, I will apply to convert my Type O Visa over to a Retirement Visa.

Thus, I wont at this stage (unless the rules change) be required to take out Long Stay Visa Health insurance or any other Insurance cover, for that matter

I should add that I already have International Health Insurance cover (which is good for Thailand), so there is no point in me duplicating it. Its a different risk matter, for those who live in Thailand (or anywhere for that matter) with no health Insurance cover

Regards

pipoz4444
From your information from the immigration officers you spoke to you will certainly be able to postpone the need to switch to a Visa exempt and Non-O until 2021.

It seems clear from their conversation with you that the insurance requirement on reentry will only apply to people who have had to get insurance with their visa or renewal.

So as you will not have to apply for an extension or leave to void the current Non-OA at least until November 2020 and if you take another trip before the visa itself expires in March 2020 then you will have until February/March 2021 to do the swap.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on October 28, 2019, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 28, 2019, 8:39 pm

STWW , not quiet sure about all that?

I understood it, that if I want to/try to extend my current Non Imm O-A Visa in March 2020 (out to 2021), then I will need to have my Long Stay Health Insurance in place by next March 2020

But between now and say February 2020, I can come and go from Thailand without the need for Long Stay Health Insurance, under my current Non Imm O-A Visa conditions. The change (or requirement for having any Health Insurance in place) will come if and when I try to extend my Non Imm O-A Visa out to March 2021

Anyway, I will dump my current Non Imm O-A Visa next March 2020

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 28, 2019, 9:12 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 28, 2019, 8:39 pm
STWW , not quiet sure about all that?

I understood it, that if I want to/try to extend my current Non Imm O-A Visa in March 2020 (out to 2021), then I will need to have my Long Stay Health Insurance in place by next March 2020

But between now and say February 2020, I can come and go from Thailand without the need for Long Stay Health Insurance, under my current Non Imm O-A Visa conditions. The change (or requirement for having any Health Insurance in place) will come if and when I try to extend my Non Imm O-A Visa out to March 2021

Anyway, I will dump my current Non Imm O-A Visa next March 2020

pipoz4444
I think that you may have missed the point you will NOT have to (actually can not) extend your permission to stay until late 2020 or 2021. Again VISAS are never, can never be, extended.

You will be getting a new 1 year permission to stay each time you enter until your VISA finishes (you mentioned March 2020 as the finish date) no extensions involved.

For example you take a trip in February next year (2020) when you return you get a new permission to stay (based on your current VISA) [you are not extending anything at that point ] that takes you through until February 2021 no insurance requirement as you have been told by the immigration officers

To keep that permission to stay if you need to leave after your VISA has expired you will need a reentry permit again no insurance requirement

When that final permission to stay is in its last 30 days (February 2021) you can apply for an extension at that time, 2021, you would need insurance but not before

So Yes if you apply for an extension after the 1st of November you need insurance so that is absolutely correct.
But that doesn’t affect you for at leat 12 to 16 months depending on when you last enter Thailand with your current visa.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 29, 2019, 7:45 am

according to a friend of mine ,at immigration office are documents stapled at every booth explaining about the new rules ,so go ask info there , he did not take a copy or picture ...sorry ;)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 29, 2019, 10:31 am

I am on a 1 year permission to stay on OA visa. The Visa was June 2018 to June 2019. I purchased a multi entry re-entry permit and have re-entered twice since (last time mid October) with no issues.

My plan is to take at least 2 more trips before expiration of permission to stay and I dont envisage having problems re-entering.

I plan to call the consulate in the UK next time I am over for verification and also discuss requirements for getting a new OA Visa in June 2020. I have an all singing, all dancing Travel insurance policy as part of my Bank account with a blue chip Insurer

The only issue is that it is for a maximum trip of 90 days (ties neatly in with reporting period!). In the past I have taken out a one-off travel policy on the rare occasions that my trip has been >90 days. Not sure if this will be acceptable

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » October 29, 2019, 10:35 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
October 28, 2019, 8:02 pm

Regards

pipoz4444
For all that 'shag & hassle' is it not worth getting a quote for the most basic health insurance available and taking it out. Also lets you get free health treatment should you need it?

I currently dont have health cover for myself or family and in past year has spent approx 250,000 baht on health care for the 3 of us. A Big part was an operation my wife needed but still I'm sure I could have got insurance cover for that or less.

Interested to hear prices people are being quoted.

Thanks.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 29, 2019, 11:04 am

samster wrote:
October 29, 2019, 10:31 am
I am on a 1 year permission to stay on OA visa. The Visa was June 2018 to June 2019. I purchased a multi entry re-entry permit and have re-entered twice since (last time mid October) with no issues.

My plan is to take at least 2 more trips before expiration of permission to stay and I dont envisage having problems re-entering.

I plan to call the consulate in the UK next time I am over for verification and also discuss requirements for getting a new OA Visa in June 2020. I have an all singing, all dancing Travel insurance policy as part of my Bank account with a blue chip Insurer

The only issue is that it is for a maximum trip of 90 days (ties neatly in with reporting period!). In the past I have taken out a one-off travel policy on the rare occasions that my trip has been >90 days. Not sure if this will be acceptable
My interpretation of the new rules are as follows:

- you should be OK to re-enter (without insurance) up till June 2020. More will be known after 1 November, and I will experience first hand when I re-enter early next month on a re-entry permit issued on a 2nd year permission on an OA visa.

- you will need approved health insurance when you apply for a new OA visa next year, and current indications are that travel insurance issued as part of your credit card/bank may not qualify. This could of course change, and it will be up to the consulate/embassy as to what they will accept.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 29, 2019, 11:23 am

My interpretation is the same as yours JS. I will fight tooth and nail (and probably lose!) to prove my insurance is acceptable next June.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 29, 2019, 12:10 pm

deankham wrote:
October 29, 2019, 10:35 am

Interested to hear prices people are being quoted.
yes , family plan would be what most fellas were after . that 30b thai scheme just isnt all that. seen
care thais get at govt hospital, often pitiful

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 29, 2019, 12:20 pm

For those interested in the Thai insurance companies that can provide long visa stay insurance are listed below. The embassy link was on my previous post. This is straight of the Thai embassy Sydney visa application website. Insurance requirement for O-A visa applications after 31 October 2019.
https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Websites below some with policies and costs. Some even cover up to 90 age group on individual review after 70's.
Have a long look and take you pick which ever suits.

https://www.aetna.co.th/en/long-stay-visa/
https://www.asiainsurance.co.th/en/prod ... insurance/
https://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/produ ... hy_eng.php
https://www.navakij.co.th/page/88?lang=EN
https://www.thaivivat.co.th/non-immigrant/
https://www.axa.co.th/SmartCare-Executi ... -Stay-Visa
https://www.pacificcrosshealth.com/en/h ... stay-visa/
https://www.viriyah.co.th/en/longstay-f ... bfF17BWGHs
https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Produ ... eries.aspx
https://www.sompo.co.th/
https://www.tipinsure.com/
https://www.falconinsurance.co.th/index ... ck-product

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 29, 2019, 12:30 pm

samster wrote:
October 29, 2019, 11:23 am
My interpretation is the same as yours JS. I will fight tooth and nail (and probably lose!) to prove my insurance is acceptable next June.
You can also try to see if your bank will sign the certificate, as with that you may have a slightly better chance, still remote but better.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 29, 2019, 2:07 pm

I have read a number of times this most recent Police Order which contains 11 pages, the first 6 of which are in Thai and the last 5 in English. Only the 2nd page of the English translation is applicable to any discussion about an insurance requirement for those applying for an extension of stay, and it pertains only to Article 2.22 For Retirement.

In all of the above posts I have not heard anyone mention being able to avoid the mandatory Insurance requirement by simply changing the reason for the annual extension (which originated from a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa) from retirement to marriage, thus avoiding the requirement to have the insurance. When referring to extensions of stay, nowhere in the police order does it say that the insurance is required for any other category other than extensions based on retirement.

One possible misunderstanding of the new Police Order comes from the fact that the pages are not numbered and the order of the information doesn't flow properly. The English translated page number 2 should have been included as the last page, then it makes more sense. Only page 2 applies to extensions of stay, and all others apply to requirements to obtain Non-Immigrant O-A visas from outside of Thailand.

Therefore, for those of us who are legally married, we should change our reason from retirement to marriage to extend our 12 month stay to avoid the insurance requirement while at the same time reducing our proof of income from 800,000 baht to 400,000 baht with no requirement to leave a portion in the bank past the date of our extensions. Now that's a win-win. What say you on this sometimewoodworker? Can you confirm this?
Attachments
Insurance O-A Visa New Police Order.pdf
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 101 times
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 29, 2019, 4:03 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
October 27, 2019, 8:46 am
Hoopoe wrote:
October 27, 2019, 8:13 am

PM sent a few days ago

Please let us know what you find out Hoopoe! I am here on an O-A and retirement extension of stay and plan to change to the Marriage basis next June, but it's my understanding that the mandatory health insurance is only a requirement for extension of stay based on retirement. It's pretty clear in the latest Police Order.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 29, 2019, 4:17 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
October 29, 2019, 2:07 pm
I have read a number of times this most recent Police Order which contains 11 pages, the first 6 of which are in Thai and the last 5 in English. Only the 2nd page of the English translation is applicable to any discussion about an insurance requirement for those applying for an extension of stay, and it pertains only to Article 2.22 For Retirement.

In all of the above posts I have not heard anyone mention being able to avoid the mandatory Insurance requirement by simply changing the reason for the annual extension (which originated from a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa) from retirement to marriage, thus avoiding the requirement to have the insurance. When referring to extensions of stay, nowhere in the police order does it say that the insurance is required for any other category other than extensions based on retirement.

One possible misunderstanding of the new Police Order comes from the fact that the pages are not numbered and the order of the information doesn't flow properly. The English translated page number 2 should have been included as the last page, then it makes more sense. Only page 2 applies to extensions of stay, and all others apply to requirements to obtain Non-Immigrant O-A visas from outside of Thailand.

Therefore, for those of us who are legally married, we should change our reason from retirement to marriage to extend our 12 month stay to avoid the insurance requirement while at the same time reducing our proof of income from 800,000 baht to 400,000 baht with no requirement to leave a portion in the bank past the date of our extensions. Now that's a win-win. What say you on this sometimewoodworker? Can you confirm this?
Thank you for your trust in my understanding of the police orders.

I think that you are completely correct in the reasoning and probably the conclusion.

Personal choice if I had had a Non-OA Visa my action would be to leave THAILAND without a reentry permit (Or when the extension finishes) to Savannaket and get a Non-O based on marriage then extend that. You then fit none of the requirements to need insurance.

At the moment the insurance requirement is certainly limited to OA original visa holders extending for retirement, together with new OA Visa applications

Speculation: it is foreseeable that this may well transition (a single report suggests this) to all extensions and visas for the purposes of retirement.

There has been no suggestion that it will apply to marriage extensions and many reasons to think that it will not.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » October 29, 2019, 6:30 pm

[quote=semperfiguy post_id=557269 time=1572332839 user_id=20643]
Therefore, for those of us who are legally married, we should [b]change our reason from retirement to marriage to extend our 12 month stay[/b] to avoid the insurance requirement while at the same time reducing our proof of income from 800,000 baht to 400,000 baht with no requirement to leave a portion in the bank past the date of our extensions. Now that's a win-win. What say you on this sometimewoodworker? Can you confirm this?
[/quote]

Please forgive me if this has already been answered.
I am here on a NON-Immigrant O-A Vise Based on retirement.
So is my Thai Wife she is a Thai citizen/U.S. Citizen residing here on her U.S. passport and on the same type of visa as me.
What is involved in changing the reason from retirement to marriage to extend our 12-month stay?
Thanks
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 29, 2019, 7:05 pm

pf-flyer wrote:
October 29, 2019, 6:30 pm
semperfiguy wrote:
So is my Thai Wife she is a Thai citizen/U.S. Citizen residing here on her U.S. passport and on the same type of visa as me.
What is involved in changing the reason from retirement to marriage to extend our 12-month stay?
Thanks
It is rather strange that your Thai citizen wife is staying on her U.S. citizenship and getting either a visa or extension of stay based on that

The first thing you need to do is for your wife to exit thailand on her U.S. passport by air and return using her Thai passport. It must be by air as you cannot change passports on a land border.

Your wife has to be in Thailand using her Thai citizenship for you to get an extension based on marriage to a Thai national.

Once she has done that the marriage documents needed depend on where you were married.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 29, 2019, 7:14 pm

pf-flyer wrote:
October 29, 2019, 6:30 pm
semperfiguy wrote:
Thanks
pf-flyer, I have that information in a written format that I can give to you when we next meet. I'll be contacting you for a time to see you, hopefully this weekend.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”