U.S. Politics

GT93
udonmap.com

Re: U.S. Politics

Post by GT93 » October 31, 2019, 11:17 am

The Congressional Republicans don't seem be lining up right behind Trump just yet. Trump isn't much loved by them either.

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 31, 2019, 3:29 pm

Lone Star wrote:
October 18, 2019, 1:00 pm
NYT headline 19.1013.jpg
the Republican majority in the Senate made it their stated policy to refuse to consider any nominee to the Supreme Court put forward by Obama, arguing that the next president should be the one to appoint Scalia's replacement. Scalia's death was only the second death of a serving justice in a span of sixty years. They also stalled many appointments in the 113 and 114 congress.

Hard to blame Obama for a Republican controlled congress.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

RLTrader
udonmap.com

In "You Can't Make this Stuff Up" News

Post by RLTrader » October 31, 2019, 8:13 pm

In "You Can't Make this Stuff Up" News

Orange Jump Suits for Obama Admin? Time will tell.

A Must watch video as Michael Flynn case unravels.

US UK "Deep State" entrapment plan is exposed!
(55 mins - Video) well worth your time.

https://theduran.com/michael-flynn-case ... sed-video/

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 3, 2019, 10:04 am

Smugglers are sawing through new sections of Trump’s border wall"

When there is a will there is a way. "Build it and they will come"
When will they learn?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 3, 2019, 10:49 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 3, 2019, 10:04 am
Smugglers are sawing through new sections of Trump’s border wall"

When there is a will there is a way. "Build it and they will come"
When will they learn?
Never. This is nothing more than a waste of millions/billions of $ to satisfy an ego.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: trumps wall not so strong

Post by tamada » November 3, 2019, 10:52 am

This just in...

Smugglers are sawing through new sections of Trump’s border wall

"Smugglers are sawing through new sections in a matter of minutes using a popular cordless saw. The breaches — large enough for people and drug lords to pass through — have been made using a popular cordless household tool known as a reciprocating saw that retails at hardware stores for as little as $100."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html?

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Re: trumps wall not so strong

Post by anefarious1 » November 3, 2019, 11:16 am

GT93 wrote:
October 16, 2019, 12:16 am
Yes, that's odd. I thought Trump personally spent some time working on his wall's design.
Must have squeezed it in somehow in-between all the Twitter and Facebook childish rants, TV watch time (because you have to constantly monitor what people say about you) and of course golf (more play time than Obama by the way).

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 3, 2019, 5:06 pm

papafarang wrote:
October 31, 2019, 10:57 am
Trump i'm afraid is not loved by many..get over it or stop reading what upsets you.
Might be an jdea not to attend a baseball match .... or UFC ..... or any other event which is not "by invite only" if ya dont wanna hear what the public thinks ....

BTW why do you think Fox news interviewers keep talking to people at sporting events, and then looking so shocked when someone says that the team were totally cr*p but not as cr*p as Trump

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 4, 2019, 3:40 pm

WHEN THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY
Tariffs then we will move
"China Eyes Thailand for Factory Expansion"
The two ranking factors that did the heavy lifting for Thailand are dealing with construction permits and protecting minority investors. According to the Bangkok Post, six of the remaining eleven factors haven’t changed since last year.

These improvements are making Thailand an attractive location for China’s overseas industrial expansion. Due to the punishing hikes to US tariffs, China seeks to produce and export its goods in the guise of other countries. Chinese Board of Investment applications have doubled year-on-year, claims a report from the BOI. Most of the applications are coming from businesses involved in rubber and tyre manufacturing.

"GUISE"
swindles people under the guise of friendship or attended the masquerade in the guise of a court jester

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » November 5, 2019, 4:20 am

POLITICAL CARTOON
Pelosi and Schiff's Post Resolution Impeachment Push Summed Up by One Cartoon

Now that Democrats have passed their one-sided impeachment resolution what does the actual process look like?

Is it fair to the President and Republicans or is it a lop-sided kangaroo court witch hunt?
pelosi-schiff-impeachment-fairness.jpg

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 5, 2019, 9:50 am

TJ wrote:
November 5, 2019, 4:20 am
POLITICAL CARTOON
Pelosi and Schiff's Post Resolution Impeachment Push Summed Up by One Cartoon

Now that Democrats have passed their one-sided impeachment resolution what does the actual process look like?

Is it fair to the President and Republicans or is it a lop-sided kangaroo court witch hunt?

pelosi-schiff-impeachment-fairness.jpg
Nixon went through the impeachment proceedings for contempt of Congress, abuse of power, and obstruction of Justice. Clinton went through the impeachment proceedings for perjury to a grand jury and obstruction of Justice. It is more than fair this POTUS to have to answer what he is accused of doing and it is not a lop-sided kangaroo court withch hunt, it is the process.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » November 5, 2019, 10:15 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
November 5, 2019, 9:50 am
It is more than fair this POTUS to have to answer what he is accused of doing and it is not a lop-sided kangaroo court witch hunt, it is the process.
Completely agree. He is going to be impeached, there's little question of that at this point. And regardless of what you think of the process in the House, he will have a fair trial in the Senate. Think of the House process as a grand jury (where the defense has no right to anything, even to attend the hearing), and the Senate process as the trial, where procedural fairness is an integral part of the process.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » November 5, 2019, 11:25 am

Some may be interested in what the Demonrats are doing regarding the impeachment process.

"The Unfair Impeachment Process

I’ve been a prosecutor. I know what prosecutable crimes look like. And I can tell you Donald Trump didn’t commit one. There are no grounds for impeaching the president. What’s the point of the elaborate process now going in Congress? To get anything the Democrats can get. They want to defeat the man they couldn’t defeat in a fair election.

As Representative Tom Cole of Oklahoma, the top Republican on the Rules Committee, said, the process is geared to “a preordained result.” It’s not about the law. It’s about using the law to get a political enemy.

Behind Closed Doors
House Democrats are conducting the impeachment proceedings behind closed doors, only allowing members of the three committees involved to attend. Why would they do that? Are they discussing national secrets? No. They’re doing it to avoid public scrutiny. Closed doors decrease the chance the public will call out their unfair tactics.

Democrats are refusing to let witnesses favorable to Trump testify in the closed door hearings. Nor are they letting Trump’s legal team cross-examine witnesses. House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), who leads the impeachment inquiry, is halting lines of questioning he doesn’t like from GOP representatives who are part of the hearing. This is unfair because the whole picture isn’t being portrayed. Trump deserves due process and a fair, impartial proceeding. At the very least, he is due the same somber, bipartisan treatment and procedures afforded Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton.

The Democrats in the House will eventually start public hearings. They passed an impeachment inquiry resolution on Thursday to authorize them. But it doesn’t ensure minority subpoena power or the release of transcripts. It doesn’t equally allocate staffing between parties. It doesn’t allow Trump’s lawyers to be present to question witnesses and present evidence. Again, due process isn’t part of this process.

Quid Pro Quo Isn’t a Crime
The impeachment effort was hurriedly launched because someone claimed that Trump had engaged in a quid pro quo with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy. The anonymous “whistleblower” made his charges to Schiff.

The informant claimed that Trump threatened in a phone call to withhold aid from Ukraine in exchange for a political favor. Trump allegedly wanted Zelenskyy to find out why the prosecution was dropped against Joe Biden’s son’s business dealings.

Then Trump unexpectedly released the transcript of the call. Everyone could see what he actually said, and it’s clear he did not ask for a quid pro quo. Trump mentioned at the beginning that the U.S. had been very good to Ukraine. Later he asks Zelenskyy to look into the dropped prosecution. There is clearly no correlation between the two. The whistleblower’s depiction was fiction.

Troubling Inquiry
It is troubling that an impeachment inquiry would be opened when it’s not clear what crime has allegedly been committed. Consider the Clinton impeachment, where Whitewater prosecutor Ken Starr presented Congress with 11 clear possible grounds for impeachment. Here, the whistleblower fretted about possible campaign finance violations, which the DOJ quickly knocked down.

Whatever the vague phrase “quid pro quo” means, it is not a crime. Presidents have always asked governments we aid to do something in exchange for that aid. That can include investigating Americans possibly committing crimes abroad. Here, President Trump was looking for assistance in investigating the extent of Ukraine’s admitted role in interfering in the 2016 election. He was also curious about Biden in the wake of Biden publicly boasting about withholding $1.5 billion in aid to Ukraine if they didn’t fire the prosecutor investigating a corrupt company called Burisma. Burisma happened to be putting millions into the pockets of Biden’s son.

So what do the Democrats do? They expand the definition of the offenses for which Trump can be tried. Ezra Klein, arguing at Vox, asserts that the definition of “high crimes and misdemeanors” does not necessarily mean a crime. The article’s subtitle claims: “Abuse of power may not be a crime. But it is absolutely a high crime and misdemeanor.”

In 1828, Webster’s Dictionary defined it in 1828 as “ill behavior; evil conduct; fault; mismanagement.” Klein claims that it “wasn’t a light crime, but an abusive act.” Furthermore, a 2015 Congressional Research Service report surveyed every House impeachment in American history. It concluded that “less than a third have specifically invoked a criminal statute or used the term ‘crime.’”

Definition of High Crimes and Misdemeanors
Klein analyzes the definition provided by various legal scholars. But they undermine his claim. The scholars address more serious actions than Trump’s phone call — even if Trump had done something wrong.

One describes it as offenses that “so seriously threaten the order of political society as to make pestilent and dangerous the continuance in power of their perpetrator.” Another pair of legal scholars said that “impeachable offenses involve corruption, betrayal or an abuse of power that … risk grave injury to the nation.”

I’ve sat through EVERY interview so far of this so called “impeachment inquiry” & the President hasn’t done anything to possibly impeach him for.

NOTHING.

— Lee Zeldin (@RepLeeZeldin) October 19, 2019

Another aspect of political targeting is to go after the people beneath the target. It makes the target look bad. Even better from the prosecutor’s point, sometimes the underlings will turn on the target. They’re usually not powerful, wealthy and connected unlike the target so it’s easier to take them down. The bar came after me because I was I was an underling. Their real target was my former boss.

Similarly, the left is going after Trump’s private attorney Rudy Giuliani. New York prosecutors are looking into his dealings with Ukraine. This could lead to his disbarment. Going after people in politics who are lawyers is one way the left targets conservatives. State bars are generally controlled by people on the left, so it is easy to get them to go after conservatives. It’s no coincidence the left chose him to investigate. His law license makes him a ripe target.

The Outcome is Obvious
House Democrats will impeach Trump. They control the House. They have the votes. We’ve seen this type of witch hunt play out all too often. It’s all about insinuation. They don’t have a real crime to pin on Trump. Do they give up? No. They just act like he did something awful.

Fortunately, wiser heads in the Republican-controlled Senate should stop the process from removing Trump. The Democrats will never get enough votes to convict. They need 67. That means getting at least 16 Republicans to vote with them. That’s almost impossible.

Here’s a better idea. In fact, it’s such a good idea the Framers put it into the Constitution. Election Day is now less than one year away. We, the People will again go to the polls. Let them judge if President Donald Trump should be removed from office. And in the meantime, the House can finally get to the business of the people rather than the business of overthrowing the 2016 election.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3791477/posts

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 5, 2019, 12:12 pm

^
...I’ve been a prosecutor. I know what prosecutable crimes look like. ...
Not many prosecutors have any sort of professional familiarity with the concept of "high crimes and misdemeanors" especially those that only practiced law for TWO YEARS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Zeldin

"In 2008 he started a law practice in Smithtown. He operated it full-time until he was elected to New York's 3rd State Senate district in 2010."

Yeah, I guess I am shooting the message AND the messenger.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 5, 2019, 12:36 pm

^^
Here’s a better idea. In fact, it’s such a good idea the Framers put it into the Constitution. Election Day is now less than one year away. We, the People will again go to the polls. Let them judge if President Donald Trump should be removed from office. And in the meantime, the House can finally get to the business of the people rather than the business of overthrowing the 2016 election.
I can't see anywhere where the Framers allowed protections for an incumbent facing impeachment just because he is 'over the hump' on his term, only has a few more miles to go on his presidential term clock and he's too busy to deal with that stuff right now anyway.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 5, 2019, 12:48 pm

^^^

Thanks for the link to freerepublic. I was drawn to the imagery in their request for contributions.
free republic.jpg
And then I remembered this.
free caliphate.jpg
Which leads me to question who's inspiring who here?

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » November 6, 2019, 8:48 am

This is for those who wish to know more about the facts and issues related to the impeachment scenario.

Trump talks impeachment fallout on 'Hannity' | FULL INTERVIEW

https://youtu.be/1L5G8ngxkz0

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 6, 2019, 9:44 am

Who said Tariffs would bring jobs back to the USA???

US Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross and the delegation of executives representing 16 American companies are visiting Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam as part of the Trump administration’s efforts to promote its Indo-Pacific strategy, which has been seen as counter move against China’s Belt and Road Initiative.

Its all about the almighty $$$$$$ Keep products cheap, and quality up.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 6, 2019, 4:19 pm

TJ wrote:
November 6, 2019, 8:48 am
This is for those who wish to know more about the facts and issues related to the impeachment scenario.

Facts... Trump... Hannity...

Meh.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 7, 2019, 2:51 am

tamada wrote:
November 6, 2019, 4:19 pm
TJ wrote:
November 6, 2019, 8:48 am

Facts... Trump... Hannity...

Meh.
You beat me to the punch Tamara. But let me expand. There is no way possible you can put Trump and Hannity in the same sentence that includes "facts". And I doubt I will waste my time watching a compulsive liar and a news entertainer discuss "facts".

It seems all they are worried about is exposing the whistleblower, but this person is irrelevant now. Trump and Rudy have admitted to doing what the whistleblower stated. They just claim Trump can do whatever he wants.

Here are the only facts that matter, Trump will be impeached through the House and Trump will not be impeached through the Senate, Mitch has already stated this no matter what the evidence is.

Your facts are based on a habitual liar and a conspiring theorist, nothing more, nothing less, so I'll pass on the video.

Return to “U.S. Politics”