Worries rise as baht scales six-year high...

General Udon Thani topics only!
Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Worries rise as baht scales six-year high...

Post by Stantheman » November 24, 2019, 6:15 am

I'm personally working on exchange rate of 29 to dollar when doing plans for spring time, already 30.05 TT rate at Bangkok Bank.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 24, 2019, 10:59 am

Stantheman wrote:
November 24, 2019, 6:15 am
I'm personally working on exchange rate of 29 to dollar when doing plans for spring time, already 30.05 TT rate at Bangkok Bank.
Yeah, I guess losing 3-4 small Leo's per $100 won't kill me, but it won't make me stronger either.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 24, 2019, 11:21 am

GT93 wrote:
November 24, 2019, 5:26 am
Yes, I'm already thinking how to cut back my expenses in Thailand a bit on my next trip.
Just don't come. If you cut back your expenditure you will completely destroy TAT's projections on how much tourism brings into the LOS's.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 24, 2019, 12:38 pm

arjay wrote:
November 23, 2019, 4:28 pm
dragonz wrote:
November 22, 2019, 11:36 am
jai yen yen wrote:
October 25, 2019, 3:52 am
I first went to Thailand in 2003 and I loved it. The people were happy, my Canadian dollar went a very long way, it was not crowded and the Thais liked us being there. The interesting thing that I noticed every year when I went back was costs going up and it is still doing so along with a poor exchange on my dollars, even my Thai wife hesitates on going back because of the cost now. I am not cheap but I am not rich either,back in 2003 I actually felt a little bit wealthy when I was there and it was a great feeling to know that I could enjoy myself and not worry about the cost. It really gave you a sense of freedom.
pretty much exactly how i felt . i came here 2004 . 76 baht for pound . excellent hotel in khon kaen for 500 baht a night with good buffet breakfast for 2 .Large beer 7/11 , 25 baht, noodles and street food 15 baht.
Now 38 baht for pound same hotel 1600 baht , beer 65 baht , street food 45 baht so income down at least 60% prices up 100-200%.
went home 3 yrs ago hotel in tenby wales overlooking the beach 1000baht a night with breakfast of all the things you could think of , lovely room lots of wardrobes . satellite tv . stella /budweiser beer from tesco 16 baht a can chinese take away 200 baht. I think cheaper for me to live back home which i would do tomorrow if not for my 2 adopted boys and still may do and see if the pound gets better
Be careful of your perspective on UK prices.

I lived in LOS from 2000 until I returned to the UK in 2015. The UK may now be on a par in terms of the cost of some things, e.g. food shopping, because of the exchange rate comparison, but you need to be careful to look at the wider range of costs, if one is comparing the cost of living in the UK.

For example, B&B locally here c £70 per person per night. A Travelodge maybe c £55 upwards exc breakfast.

If you hunt around you can get a small breakfast locally where I live from £3.50 up, but more usually £5.50 or even £7.50. A panini/sandwich eaten in a cafe £4.50 - £6.50. Coffee latte min £2.50, often £3.00. Meals out generally much more expensive. (OK Ready made sandwiches from Tesco to take away - £1.80-£2.50, or a loaf of bread 55p up).

But you need to consider things like council tax c £190 per month, utilities gas/electric c £50 -£60 pm upwards. Water c £40pm.

Then there are things like the cost of labour. You can't get an engineer, plumber or the like to visit for less than about £60. Travel - train fares extortionate. Buses expensive, coach travel cheaper (than train) for longer distances. Car annual service at a main dealer c £250.

You do need to be sure to look at a full range of things when comparing costs.

I am hoping that once Brexit is resolved, the £ at least will rise. And agreed we certainly want the baht to weaken.
P.S. I would like to come back and visit LOS but not at 36-38 baht to £1.
Maybe you should of moved to wales
I hear its exceptionally cheap there , and you get the benefit to watch the unicorns frolicking in the sunshine beneath the golden rainbow .
Whoever thinks it would be cheaper to live in the U K than here , is simply deluded . =; =;

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » November 24, 2019, 2:20 pm

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 24, 2019, 4:55 pm

saint wrote:
November 24, 2019, 12:38 pm
arjay wrote:
November 23, 2019, 4:28 pm
dragonz wrote:
November 22, 2019, 11:36 am
jai yen yen wrote:
October 25, 2019, 3:52 am
I first went to Thailand in 2003 and I loved it. The people were happy, my Canadian dollar went a very long way, it was not crowded and the Thais liked us being there. The interesting thing that I noticed every year when I went back was costs going up and it is still doing so along with a poor exchange on my dollars, even my Thai wife hesitates on going back because of the cost now. I am not cheap but I am not rich either,back in 2003 I actually felt a little bit wealthy when I was there and it was a great feeling to know that I could enjoy myself and not worry about the cost. It really gave you a sense of freedom.
pretty much exactly how i felt . i came here 2004 . 76 baht for pound . excellent hotel in khon kaen for 500 baht a night with good buffet breakfast for 2 .Large beer 7/11 , 25 baht, noodles and street food 15 baht.
Now 38 baht for pound same hotel 1600 baht , beer 65 baht , street food 45 baht so income down at least 60% prices up 100-200%.
went home 3 yrs ago hotel in tenby wales overlooking the beach 1000baht a night with breakfast of all the things you could think of , lovely room lots of wardrobes . satellite tv . stella /budweiser beer from tesco 16 baht a can chinese take away 200 baht. I think cheaper for me to live back home which i would do tomorrow if not for my 2 adopted boys and still may do and see if the pound gets better
Be careful of your perspective on UK prices.

I lived in LOS from 2000 until I returned to the UK in 2015. The UK may now be on a par in terms of the cost of some things, e.g. food shopping, because of the exchange rate comparison, but you need to be careful to look at the wider range of costs, if one is comparing the cost of living in the UK.

For example, B&B locally here c £70 per person per night. A Travelodge maybe c £55 upwards exc breakfast.

If you hunt around you can get a small breakfast locally where I live from £3.50 up, but more usually £5.50 or even £7.50. A panini/sandwich eaten in a cafe £4.50 - £6.50. Coffee latte min £2.50, often £3.00. Meals out generally much more expensive. (OK Ready made sandwiches from Tesco to take away - £1.80-£2.50, or a loaf of bread 55p up).

But you need to consider things like council tax c £190 per month, utilities gas/electric c £50 -£60 pm upwards. Water c £40pm.

Then there are things like the cost of labour. You can't get an engineer, plumber or the like to visit for less than about £60. Travel - train fares extortionate. Buses expensive, coach travel cheaper (than train) for longer distances. Car annual service at a main dealer c £250.

You do need to be sure to look at a full range of things when comparing costs.

I am hoping that once Brexit is resolved, the £ at least will rise. And agreed we certainly want the baht to weaken.
P.S. I would like to come back and visit LOS but not at 36-38 baht to £1.
I hear its exceptionally cheap there , and you get the benefit to watch the unicorns frolicking in the sunshine beneath the golden rainbow .
Whoever thinks it would be cheaper to live in the U K than here , is simply deluded . =; =;
the delusion is those who think thailand is cheap . It is cheaper to live here as i have no car which i think took about 30% of my money in uk . No council tax , no bt telephone bill , no sky satellite tv bill , no heating bill , no house insurance , no tv licence / no water rates or rubbish rates . I think all that took about 60% of my money but nearly everything i buy in thailand for living costs more than uk .
Also being cheap for deluded people is depending on how much money they have . The prices in thailand are extortionate for thai people . Buy a 7,000 baht mobile in uk work 3 days , thai buys one works for a month . If you had to work for a month in uk the phone would cost about 50,000 baht at minimum wage . A days min wage in uk 2,500 would buy you 50 beers at 50 baht a beer , days min wage in thailand would buy a thai 6 beers so it is not cheap but you just do not have a lot of things you would have in uk

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 25, 2019, 4:52 am

No wonder Wales is so cheap . Quote , buy a 7000 baht phone and work for 3 days . Man i wouldnt even get out of bed for that money , and that was in the last century !!!!
Im also not Thai and never will be . Dillusion is comparing apples for oranges , as you have .
But its your fantasy , so ill let you dream of a better life , someplace other than Thailand .

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 25, 2019, 5:47 am

saint wrote:
November 25, 2019, 4:52 am
No wonder Wales is so cheap . Quote , buy a 7000 baht phone and work for 3 days . Man i wouldnt even get out of bed for that money , and that was in the last century !!!!
Im also not Thai and never will be . Dillusion is comparing apples for oranges , as you have .
But its your fantasy , so ill let you dream of a better life , someplace other than Thailand .
Yeah, I was a little lost and what he was trying to say.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 25, 2019, 8:18 am

lol
The delusion is apples and oranges
Either that or the Uk is a land of milk and honey

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 26, 2019, 5:23 pm

saint wrote:
obviously same as a lot on here lived with your mother then came to thailand with no knowledge of the world
Minimum wage for the uk 3 days 7,680 baht earned by about 1.8 million people in uk who do get out of bed for it or they and their families would go without and a further 1.4 million unemployed so your statement makes me feel sick that people can say i would not get out of bed for that

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 1:01 pm

dragonz wrote:
November 26, 2019, 5:23 pm
saint wrote:
obviously same as a lot on here lived with your mother then came to thailand with no knowledge of the world
Minimum wage for the uk 3 days 7,680 baht earned by about 1.8 million people in uk who do get out of bed for it or they and their families would go without and a further 1.4 million unemployed so your statement makes me feel sick that people can say i would not get out of bed for that
Do you realize you wrote this post that was very confusing and made no sense?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 1:02 pm

And then you want to bring somebody's mother into it?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 1:04 pm

I think mama jokes are on a different thread here.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 27, 2019, 1:08 pm

dragonz wrote:
saint wrote:
Sorry to burst another of your fantasy bubbles , but i stopped living with my dear old mum when i was 15 . Yes 15 , and just fifteen at that .
As for knowledge of the world , ive lost count of the countries ive been to , well above 50 i would guess .
Minimum Wage , never worked for a minimum wage , had no idea what the rates were , but thanks for enlightening me .
Do not assume you know me , or how i have lived , and do live my life , by the few comments i post on here .
You dont and never will because i stopped associating with idiots many years ago , and my life got a whole lot easier .
Be sick all you want , i do not care . =;

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 27, 2019, 3:49 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
November 27, 2019, 1:01 pm
dragonz wrote:
saint wrote:
Do you realize you wrote this post that was very confusing and made no sense?
ok i will explain . the fact that a place is cheap or expensive is not determined by the tourist or expats who live there on their money earned abroad but by the people who live and work there
Example about thailand extreme costs . when i came her i bought a 32 inch tv in uk and then bought one a few weeks later in udon for roughly the same price . tv in uk made by sony in wales . workers get 400 pound a week , holiday pay , sick pay and money paid into thier pension fun . tv in thailand made in chonburri , workers then on about 20 pound a week , no holiday pay , no sick pay or pensions . How can the both tvs cost the same ?If pay in uk is 10 times more then goods in thailand should be 10 times cheaper or at least cheaper.
You must understand that in uk 1 days minimum wage buys you about 50 beers and 1 days wage in thailand about 5 beers.If you were all getting 1 baht to the pound would be the same as thais

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 27, 2019, 3:57 pm

Of course you do not care that probably 70% of the world gets less than $10 a day but i do .We not all as callous as you, and if you had to , would you not work to feed your kids if the wages were not high enough ?./ To live your life without knowing the minimum wage or nearly all the shopkeepers , maids , cleaners , hotel workers , caterers , street cleaners , all domestic workers ,7/11, tesco , big c etc workers are all on minimum wages show that there is def something wrong with you . The fat you do not know and do not care is so comforting to me that i do not know anyone like you ever in my life . Ignorance is bliss .
I am not an idiot just because i know

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 27, 2019, 8:14 pm

dragonz wrote:
November 27, 2019, 3:57 pm
Of course you do not care that probably 70% of the world gets less than $10 a day but i do .We not all as callous as you, and if you had to , would you not work to feed your kids if the wages were not high enough ?./ To live your life without knowing the minimum wage or nearly all the shopkeepers , maids , cleaners , hotel workers , caterers , street cleaners , all domestic workers ,7/11, tesco , big c etc workers are all on minimum wages show that there is def something wrong with you . The fat you do not know and do not care is so comforting to me that i do not know anyone like you ever in my life . Ignorance is bliss .
I am not an idiot just because i know
Wow! You went from a positive explaining yourself to a negative without any provocation. Are you okay? Have you taken your daily medication yet?

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 1:56 am

Shut down in Pattaya hoteliers.

Sorry I still can't cut and paste on my phone. I just read an article that stated the average Indian traveler spends 10,000 baht per day per person, while the average Chinese tourist spends 5,000 baht per day per person. Does anybody believe these numbers are even close to being correct? I am a pretty free spender on my holiday, and I don't spend that much including, room and board.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 2:00 am

Let me correct that.
5,000 baht on average per day, pretty easily, 10,000 baht on average per day, no. That's a pretty damn good night for me.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » November 28, 2019, 2:48 am

It's actually "shutdown hits Pattaya hoteliers". Darn spell check.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”