Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

General Udon Thani topics only!
broon97
udonmap.com

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by broon97 » October 8, 2018, 4:14 pm

The petition has reached 100,000,
If you are a UK pensioner it is of interest to you.
if you haven't signed please do if it affects you.

You can sign the petition and also email the Prime Minister
Link : https://endfrozenpensions.org/

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » October 8, 2018, 4:29 pm

Yes, the portability seems generous although I might think otherwise if I knew all the shortcomings on the healthcare front.

I assume the frozen pension is politics. Brits abroad probably don't vote much compared to Brits in the UK. Governments usually find it really difficult to take from older voters so they see Brits abroad as a soft touch. I would think they are very unlikely likely to reduce pensions a bit for pensioners resident in the UK so that pensioners abroad can get the same level of pension. It seems the days of a portable pension are numbered as time passes with the freeze?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 8, 2018, 4:36 pm

=D> This may be somewhat related to the thread. Maybe I should have posted it under the Retirement Visa thread :-$

"THE PHUKET NEWS (Extract)

British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income letters
PHUKET: The British Embassy in Bangkok from Jan 1 next year will no longer provide British nationals with letters confirming their income, the embassy announced in a statement today (Oct 8).

A letter confirming income previously served as a supporting document for obtaining a Thai retirement or marriage visa (‘permit-to-stay’), the embassy noted.

“The British Embassy Bangkok is stopping the certification of income letters because it is unable to fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements to verify the income of British Nationals,” the statement said.

British nationals should now demonstrate that they have an amount of at least B800,000 in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the visa application, or a monthly income of at least B65,000 transferred into an account in Thailand for a retirement visa, the embassy advised......................................................."

Must be at least 50 years old;
1.Must have an amount of at least B800,000 in an account in Thailand for no less than three months prior to the application for a visa, or a monthly income of at least B65,000.

2.The requirements for a marriage visa were given as:
2.1 Must be legally married to a Thai national;
2.2 Must have an amount of no less than B400,000 in an account in Thailand for two months prior to the visa application, or an average annual income of no less than B40,000 per month.

So it begs the question what will the Embassy staff do with all their spare time?? =D> :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 8, 2018, 4:47 pm

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » December 3, 2019, 2:03 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 8, 2018, 4:47 pm
post524533.html#p524533

A discussion
I wonder whether anyone else has noticed the following stated in the Labour Manifesto:
"We will ensure that the pensions of UK citizens living overseas rise in line with pensions in Britain"

Anyone any thoughts on this ?
Fuzzyken

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 3, 2019, 2:24 pm

While they still refuse to use the qualifier 'all' anywhere in that statement, as in "all the pensions of all UK citizens living overseas", I would advise against holding ones breath.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 3, 2019, 3:08 pm

Fuzzyken wrote:
December 3, 2019, 2:03 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 8, 2018, 4:47 pm
post524533.html#p524533

A discussion
I wonder whether anyone else has noticed the following stated in the Labour Manifesto:
"We will ensure that the pensions of UK citizens living overseas rise in line with pensions in Britain"

Anyone any thoughts on this ?
Fuzzyken
Probably no change as the pension already rises in countries with an agreement in place. Thailand is not one, the Philippines is one.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 3, 2019, 4:15 pm

It is this disparity that went right up to the EU Court and got nowhere, Many whoa re33 here still pay UK taxes yet we get treated worse that immigrants into the UK. Unable to vote ( too long here ) just have to expect a change, do not turst Labour and in any event a Criminal Like Corbyn would be far worse

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » December 3, 2019, 5:06 pm

No way has Labour any chance of getting in
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » December 3, 2019, 5:26 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
December 3, 2019, 4:15 pm
It is this disparity that went right up to the EU Court and got nowhere, Many whoa re33 here still pay UK taxes yet we get treated worse that immigrants into the UK. Unable to vote ( too long here ) just have to expect a change, do not turst Labour and in any event a Criminal Like Corbyn would be far worse
I wonder whether we will do better when we are out of the EU and the jurisdiction of the EU court.
It puzzles me that "discrimination" is a dirty word but somehow the UK government have managed to skirt around it on this particular issue.
Ken.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » December 4, 2019, 3:37 am

Came across this awhile back ,but with all the brexit goingon and now an election , who knows when it will brought up again ,

Ribble Valley MP's plea to future PM to tackle issue of frozen pensions head-on
Ribble Valley MP Nigel Evans.
Ribble Valley MP Nigel Evans.
JULIE MAGEE
Email
Published: 09:40
Updated: 09:54
Wednesday 05 June 2019
Share this article
9 best ground coffees for 2019, from illy to Cru Kafe
Make your daily cuppa with minimal effort using one of these bags of pre-ground coffee.
Promoted by ibuys
Ribble Valley MP Nigel Evans has called on whoever takes the reigns as Prime Minister and Leader of the Conservative Party to uprate the frozen pensions of Brits abroad.

All British pensioners who have made National Insurance contributions during their working lives are entitled to a British state pension regardless of where they choose to live.

However, 4% of recipients of the UK state pension are denied their full pension because of policy that prevents their pensions being uprated in line with inflation.

Around 510,000 British pensioners are currently affected by the policy, which differs country-to-country.

Included amongst these pensioners is Monica Philip, who emigrated to the UK in 1959 as part of the Windrush generation. She worked in the UK for 37 years and was a devoted public servant.

In 1996, Monica returned to Antigua to look after her ailing mother and, as a result, her pension was frozen at £74.11 per week. In contrast, Monica’s sister, who remained in Leicester, receives a full up-rated pension.

More than 90% of "frozen" pensioners live in Commonwealth countries, such as Canada and Australia, which have close cultural and political ties with the UK but still face penalisation when retired. For example, somebody retiring in the US would receive an uprated pension whereas somebody in Canada would have theirs frozen.

Speaking from Westminster, Mr Evans said: “The leadership election taking place over the coming weeks will settle not only who leads the Conservative Party, but also who will become the next Prime Minister. Whoever this may be, they need tackle the issue of frozen pensions head-on, and I hope the front runners will make this into an election pledge.”

He added: “The DWP have estimated that the uprating of pensions would cost around £600 million per year, but this cost is meagre compared to the money that the UK saves when pensioners move abroad and do not use our social services or NHS. This policy needs an urgent rethink and I will be putting pressure on the new leader to urgently adopt new legislation on the issue of frozen pensions.”

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 4, 2019, 7:28 am

We will all wait with bated breath and clenched teeth

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 4, 2019, 10:17 am

Khun Paul wrote:
December 3, 2019, 4:15 pm
I don't think the EU (probably that European Court of Human Rights?) got anywhere near this. AFAIK, the Brexit hiatus and subsequent parliamentary dissolution including the hopelessly inept prorogation meant the Bill, along with several others, went undebated and thus got thrown out with the bath water.

I suggest one should actually visit the UK and check on how the illegal immigrants are raping and pillaging the welfare services before self-flagellating over how hard done by us 'old colonials' are.

Not maintaining ones right to vote in the UK is NOT the fault of any UK government.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » December 4, 2019, 1:39 pm

"Not maintaining ones right to vote in the UK is NOT the fault of any UK government."
So who implemented the rule.If not UK Government?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 4, 2019, 3:08 pm

No it is a statutory declaration by the UK Government once you have been outside ( expat ) for 15 years continuously then you are unable to vote.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 4, 2019, 5:03 pm

choi choi wrote:
December 4, 2019, 1:39 pm
"Not maintaining ones right to vote in the UK is NOT the fault of any UK government."
So who implemented the rule.If not UK Government?
Yes the UK government did make a rule but the onus always was on the now disenfranchised voter to make sure they retained their voters rights. It's another aspect of the increasingly common expatriates 'burned bridge' philosophy that has probably been brought sharply into focus by the current strength of the Thai baht and recent Thai immigration long stay qualification rule changes.
Khun Paul wrote:
December 4, 2019, 3:08 pm
No it is a statutory declaration by the UK Government once you have been outside ( expat ) for 15 years continuously then you are unable to vote.
There are ways and means to retain or regain the UK voting right that some cavalierly discarded as no longer relevant. They are also 100% legal.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 5, 2019, 7:43 am

Yes initially I did retain some aspects of my UK life, to enable me to keep what rights I had, but Census and Voting rights go with addresses and as my preferred choiceof address was changed by the owner , it also meant if my name was on the house Council tax would be increased, I understand these options have changed but still a time consuming paperwork exercise .
I would just rather they say after 15 years we will no longer take your Income tax , that would be very nice

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » December 5, 2019, 7:45 am

Having the good fortune to live in the bootifull south west of England I get my annual pension increase which this year was £6.92 a month or £83.04 a year.
For convenience sake I have rounded it up to £7 multiplied by today's Superrich FX rate of 39.35 equates to 272 baht a month or 3,268 baht a year.
With these piddling amounts which should I assume that the bitching in this thread is on principle alone or just bitching alone?
For those who have been receiving their pensions for a significant period of say 10 years or more. You are now possibly 33,000 baht a decade worse off since you retired.
What are you going to spend it on you daffy old bastard?
From my perspective it is far better off in the UK than in your wife's bank account.

I almost forget to add that I have recently had a £200 winter fuel allowance and a £10 Christmas bonus from my good friend the DWP.
Eat your hearts out those who are stuck in depressing Udon....555
Last edited by karonsteve on December 5, 2019, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » December 5, 2019, 7:53 am

Piddling amounts maybe.But over 20 years I'd like to know how much I lose out.
My pension was frozen in year 2000.My pension is 397 pound a month.
I wonder what the present day pension is.
I'm thinking quite a substantial amount more than I get now

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » December 5, 2019, 8:38 am

choi choi wrote:
December 5, 2019, 7:53 am
Piddling amounts maybe.But over 20 years I'd like to know how much I lose out.
My pension was frozen in year 2000.My pension is 397 pound a month.
I wonder what the present day pension is.
I'm thinking quite a substantial amount more than I get now
Pension now is 168.60 pounds per week.
Which is 730.60 pounds per month.
Quite a significant difference nearly double.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”