A weird insect

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mex
udonmap.com

A weird insect

Post by Mex » December 4, 2019, 3:40 pm

They are a grey color...about 1 cm long and about 3 mm wide. I have never seen them anywhere else except in Udon.

They do not appear to do anything except park behind pictures on the wall and just climb up walls.

It does not seem that they are on any gecko's food list.

The Thai's don't appear concerned about them at all.

They do make it look like the walls need a wash.

I usually just vacuum them off the wall but would appreciate any advice to permanently be rid of them

If it looks good..and smells good..go for it..

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: A weird insect

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 4, 2019, 3:49 pm

Looking at your recent posts it appears you are either paranoid and/or living in an environment that you should be nowhere near. Can I suggest you move MUCH closer to either Arctic or Antarctic Circle! DON'T try Australia = the flies would really drive you crazy!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 4, 2019, 4:00 pm

Probably a casebearer. For years we never had one inside the house....then we were gone for 6 months and they were all over. If you see them, best to remove from the walls/ceiling. Keep at it and they'll mostly be gone.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Mex
udonmap.com

Post by Mex » December 4, 2019, 4:20 pm

Ban Dung...the only insect I am paranoid about is mossies. I spent 2 years in a malaria area and managed to avoid malaria. The ritual of sprays, fans, fumigation and netting was a pain in the butt.

The gecko's only irritate me..and these case bearers just make the house look untidy.

I worked with a lot of Aussies and I asked one why the Aussies had hats with corks hanging from them. He replied it was for the flies. I responded by asking him if he had ever tried soap.

But you are right...our family home was very near horse stables and we always had issues with flies...and on the family farms they were bloody pesky.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » December 4, 2019, 4:59 pm

parrot wrote:
December 4, 2019, 4:00 pm
Probably a casebearer. For years we never had one inside the house....then we were gone for 6 months and they were all over. If you see them, best to remove from the walls/ceiling. Keep at it and they'll mostly be gone.
They’ve been turning up in my house for the last couple of months, mainly in the kitchen.I have lived in the house for about 5 years it’s the first time they’ve showed up.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 8, 2019, 9:28 am

Mex wrote:
December 4, 2019, 4:20 pm
I worked with a lot of Aussies and I asked one why the Aussies had hats with corks hanging from them. He replied it was for the flies. I responded by asking him if he had ever tried soap.
Soap hanging from hats is much too heavy.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Mex
udonmap.com

Post by Mex » December 10, 2019, 5:53 pm

Even the mini soaps?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » December 10, 2019, 6:10 pm

Mex,

I only see these in hotels, lets say you get two per visit per day, that would be a lot of hotel stays.

Now let's go back a consider corks, each cork represents an enjoyable bottle of wine, What would you rather do, mope around at hotels until you gather 25 plus mini soaps, or drink 25 bottles of great Australian wine?

Bit of a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

As for cleanliness, Australians appear in this chart to shower more often than Europeans, not surprising considering you sweat more in hotter climates. Sorry Max, the Dutch would be covered in flies if they did not improve their hygiene and lived in Oz.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/medi ... c82766.png
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 10, 2019, 6:43 pm

I suspect, based on his selfie avatar, that Mex would struggle with any type of hat. :D

As for the Aussie cork hat - it would be a very expensive proposition these days if you wanted to base it on wine bottle corks. :drunk:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”