Sony's new ground-breaking technology

General Udon Thani topics only!
ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Sony's new ground-breaking technology

Post by ajarnudon » December 17, 2019, 8:13 am

Well, Sony has invented new technology that has the potential to save the world. As a matter of fact, this piece of equipment uses only 70 Watts to produce an output of 1 kW. This will save burning huge amounts of fossil fuels. Click on the image to make it larger and clearer.
Sony pony Watts.jpg

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Re: Sony's new ground-breaking technology

Post by Kenr6583 » December 17, 2019, 9:21 am

ajarnudon wrote:
December 17, 2019, 8:13 am
Well, Sony has invented new technology that has the potential to save the world. As a matter of fact, this piece of equipment uses only 70 Watts to produce an output of 1 kW. This will save burning huge amounts of fossil fuels. Click on the image to make it larger and clearer.Sony pony Watts.jpg
Actually these specs are pretty standard on all home theater package systems. First of all, the subwoofer is a powered subwoofer, it is powered by it's on internal amplifier, so that would negate some of the power going to the speakers. Second, these package systems will never put out 160 watts per channel running simultaneously, and I doubt even in stereo mode. Even your high end power amplifiers such as Anthem, Nad, Yamaha, Cambridge, cannot produce that many watts per channel in 5 channel mode, and these are $2,000+ 5-9 channel power amplifiers. If you look at some of the other packaged systems similar to this by Yamaha, other Sony's, Polk Audio, and Onkyo, you will see similar unrealistic specs. These home theater in a box package systems specs are always misleading.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » December 17, 2019, 9:43 am

Actually I am wrong about this particular system. It is actually a passive subwoofer.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » December 17, 2019, 3:07 pm

Quote: '................. to save the world. As a matter of fact, this piece of equipment uses only 70 Watts to produce an output of 1 kW....... :D

One of the basic Laws of Physics can be explained as: 'Energy can be neither created nor destroyed, and where it appears to have done s0 it has merely changed form'. :?

So, you can't get 1Kw of power from 70 watts - the balance has to come from somewhere else. Just a matter of finding where. :-k Is one watt of electrical power the same as one watt of sound? (like American gallons being different from British gallons).

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » December 18, 2019, 8:44 am

All said tongue in cheek of course. They refer to what is mostly termed PMPO (Peak Music Power Output), a vaguely defined term that most likely equates to what theoretically could be produced for two seconds before the internal power supply implodes. You won't find these type of wild claims on most large manufacturers' Western websites or packaging. Seems to be an Asian thing. The only true measurement of power in waveforms is RMS (Root Mean Squared) - however the clown who wrote this up for Sony's Thai site even had the audacity to use the term RMS instead of PMPO - or, more likely, doesn't know the difference. If Sony's heirarchy in Japan saw this, they would have a heart attack.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » December 18, 2019, 9:15 am

I actually looked at the specs on this, and because this particular unit is not sold in the United States, it was limited. This 167 Watts is more than likely rated at 4 ohms, which means at 8 ohms, it would be around 80 Watts. Still, you are not going to be able to get 80 Watts of quality sound out of a speaker that weighs only 2.7 kgs. And given the fact that they are claiming it only consumes 70 Watts, the wattage claim is for 1 channel driven only.

Ajarnudon, this false representation of specs actually comes from a Sony Asian Pacific website, I know, pretty hard to believe. But they also had a Samsung 500 watt system that only consumed 39 Watts of power from a different website.

I don't claim to be an expert, but over the years I've owned quite a few higher-end systems that I've pieced together. But now that I am single and living in an apartment, I had to tone it down and I'm currently running a small system consisting of a Yamaha RX-A670 receiver, Kef q100 speakers, and a Cambridge x201 subwoofer, and I can barely take it to 2/3 volume without it becoming unbearable and starting to distort, and that's and 80 watt per channel receiver, 2 channels driven.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't get caught up into the specs of a sound system because in cases like this they are very distorted and misleading because like someone said earlier, you can't produce 1100 Watts from 70 Watts.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » December 18, 2019, 9:19 am

Sorry Bonanza, you were the someone, no disrespect.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”