Thai ID with chip to pay bills?

General Udon Thani topics only!
sgt
udonmap.com

Thai ID with chip to pay bills?

Post by sgt » January 16, 2020, 6:19 pm

A good friend went to pay his water bill today and couldn't. He was told none of identification was good as it had to be Thai with a computer chip. Luckily some Thai lady paid the bill for him. Ok, I don't know of any farangs with a Thai ID with computer chip, how are we to pay water, electric etc.?

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Thai ID with chip to pay bills?

Post by parrot » January 16, 2020, 6:25 pm

Something doesn't sound right. A few years ago, before we started auto-pay from our bank account, I often paid electric bills either at 7-11 or at the PEA office. All I had to show was the bill. No ID required.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 16, 2020, 6:35 pm

If you use an app such as Siam Commercial Bank or KrungThai Bank, you can pay electric bills easier than going to the office or 7-11. Simply scan in the QR code from the bill to pay the bill. No need for ID.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 16, 2020, 6:43 pm

we always pay the bill in local small bigc and they require for a few months already thai id ...7eleven , small lotus not ,and indeed if you have any online banking you can easy pay all... ;)

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 16, 2020, 7:02 pm

Just paid my water & electric bill at 7 11 today no problem

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » January 16, 2020, 7:56 pm

Ok i understand that they require a Thai computer-chip id card to pay the bill Do they scan the card ? Or they just look at it, like they want to see foreign passport at post office. What info is retrieved ?

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » January 17, 2020, 1:37 am

I will find out tomorrow if my friend ran into a one-off or it has become mandatory when I go to pay water bill tomorrow. I never use phone to pay anything, in fact have a smart phone well "dumbed down". I do not at present have internet banking but will soon. PITA to go to and deal with main BKK Bank.

I have no idea what they do with ID, scan, look or what.

Notification of reply is not working.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 17, 2020, 7:09 am

they scan the card in a card reader , however you can use any id card as they do not check if the card is connected to the bill address , i have also paid like this the bill of a friend who is staying abroad... ;)

gghh
udonmap.com

Post by gghh » January 17, 2020, 7:52 am

Most probably he wanted to pay by his ATM card. Since 15th this month all ATM cards need to be equipped with a chip

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2020, 4:07 pm

Unless one's water bill has gone beyond the 7-day(?) 'fast payment' date window, with there being more 7-elevens, Big C and Tesco-Lotus service desks than water department offices, why would someone want to go there, wait in line and experience what is an obviously quite a slow, bureaucratic procedure?

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » January 17, 2020, 8:10 pm

I always pay my water bill and electric bill at the respective main office. It's normally a short wait and I'm out. I rarely encounter more than 5 or 6 people waiting to pay. If for some reason there are a lot of people waiting to pay I just return later. Piece of cake for me.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”