Coronavirus Now in Thailand !!

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Coronavirus Now in Thailand !!

Post by parrot » March 10, 2020, 8:29 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
March 10, 2020, 7:39 pm
I was opposite the Army Hospital today. A large notice outside apparently included Germany as one of the high risk countries. Yet, I haven't yet seen Germany mentioned in any of the Thai news.
Members may have friends or relatives recently arrived at Suvarnabhumi, so let's see if I can get some definitive answers here. I can honestly say I haven't certainty about any procedures, but surely they should be clear and advertised?
So a) What is happening with apparently healthy arrivals from the Thai recognised high risk countries?
b) If an apparently healthy German family arrived soon, with the intention of travelling on to Udon to live in their home, how is the family 'processed'?
From a few days ago about Germany: https://www.matichon.co.th/foreign/news_2029900

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 11, 2020, 1:56 am

I lifted this from the columnist David Von Drehle in The Washington Post:
Think about that for a moment. According to the World Health Organization, Italy had three confirmed covid-19 cases three weeks ago. Yes, three — as in, the number of contestants on “Jeopardy!” Now the entire nation of some 60 million people is essentially quarantined, at an untold cost to the economy of a highly developed nation.
:shock:
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 11, 2020, 4:10 am

GT93 wrote:
March 11, 2020, 1:56 am
I lifted this from the columnist David Von Drehle in The Washington Post:
Think about that for a moment. According to the World Health Organization, Italy had three confirmed covid-19 cases three weeks ago. Yes, three — as in, the number of contestants on “Jeopardy!” Now the entire nation of some 60 million people is essentially quarantined, at an untold cost to the economy of a highly developed nation.
:shock:
They quote numbers from 3 weeks ago then talk about a measure put in yesterday. Looks like the Post is cherry picking numbers. From what I just read the current count in Italy is 9,172 cases and 463 deaths -- the most of any country outside of China.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 11, 2020, 6:44 am

Earlier this week I was laughing at the hoarders. Not any more. Things can deteriorate really quickly. I'm going to build up the food I keep at home.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 11, 2020, 6:49 am

I thought I was going to lose the missus yesterday, we were going into Makro and she was stopped because her temperature was too high, we’d just come out of the sun but she was made to stand aside and was rechecked three times before she was allowed in, one guy was refused entry full stop.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 11, 2020, 7:55 am

New inbound passenger checks kicking off tomorrow at Thailand's international airports.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... y-measures

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » March 11, 2020, 9:41 am

GT93 wrote:
March 10, 2020, 3:11 pm
Perhaps the death rate number from Italy indicates if a country doesn't meet this challenge well, there will many more perhaps avoidable deaths. The Chinese number might be trending down as they wouldn't have known what they were initially dealing with e.g. not known how contagious the Wuhan virus was.

Can we as an individual really avoid the Coronavirus? It seems to me this virus will in the years ahead be forever out there circulating.
Hopefully vaccines will be available in the future, as well our bodies will develop some immunity. Right now is the most dangerous.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 11, 2020, 10:06 am

Another update from Texas......just FYI for anyone possibly traveling:
We're due to leave in mid-May......United from Texas to Chicago, then ANA to Japan to BKK.....all arranged by ANA. We received an email this morning from United saying the flight to Chicago is cancelled and we have to have ANA resked for us. No big deal.....under normal circumstances. But I'm reluctant to have ANA go through the motions today, anticipating that more domestic flights will be scrapped due to low pax levels. To be honest, I'm still expecting a 50% chance or greater than our ANA sked will be affected as well. We're fine here....we're fine in Thailand......but goes to show you that having a plan B, especially in these days, is probably your best bet if you're traveling....or not.
We've been in very busy stores here but not a face mask to be seen.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 11, 2020, 10:45 am

tamada wrote:
March 11, 2020, 7:55 am
New inbound passenger checks kicking off tomorrow at Thailand's international airports.

We should be grateful that some information has surfaced. It says ALL inbound passengers will have to provide the personal information. I'll avoid any arguments about privacy, freedoms etc.
It does seem that, unless there's a high temperature reading (that's what this scanner does, yes?), you can pass through Immigration.
But, presumably only some (from the risk countries?) will be required to actually quarantine? Others free to move about as normal?
Now we need to know just what being subject to quarantine involves. Is it only Thai citizens who are transferred to holding facilities? Can foreigners undertake to self-quarantine in hotels or homes? What checks have to be undertaken?
Lots of questions. I don't have the answers. Anyone?

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » March 11, 2020, 10:47 am

Regarding Italy, the situation has become extremely serious. Any expats from Italy on this forum?

The total number of deaths in Italy is 631 at this moment.

1.Italy had 2,502 TOTAL cases 7 days ago.

2.Italy have a total of 10,149 cases today.

In the case of no.1, the death rate is 25.21%.

In the case of no.2, the death rate is 6.21%.

Now, due to the population share of old people in Italy, the death rate at 7 days delay is skewed, and it is the maximum possible.

Maybe a 5 day delay from infection to death would be a better denominator for Italy.

So, we have no.3 :

Italy had 3,858 total cases 5 days ago.

In this case, the death rate is 16.35%.

Because of a collapsed healthcare system, the death rate of COVID19 patients in Italy is between 16.35% and 25.21%, or, reported to the total cases to date, it's 6.21%.

To understand what 15-20% death rate means for an epidemic of this scale...it's DOUBLE the death rate from Spanish Flu.

If 60% of Italian population (36 million people) get the virus, in a collapsed healthcare system, over 15% of them WILL DIE...and that is over 4,800,000 people.

And that is only deaths from COVID19...

But almost anyone else that is ill from anything that require ICU to SAVE their lives, accidents, common flu, etc....will die, because there won't be any ICU beds for them.

I don't exactly know how big that number is, but it is probably over 1 million in 1 year.

The numbers are staggering, and I don't know ANY NATION on Earth that can survive such a high death rate.

Adding the economic side on this scenario...it's just too much.

Too much.

This is why FULL LOCK-DOWNS and STOPPING EVERYTHING for at least 3 months is the ONLY way to avoid a nightmare scenario, where economic collapse AND healthcare collapse will lead to SOCIAL COLLAPSE. A social collapse with the potential to be an existential threat to our civilization.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 11, 2020, 10:55 am

A lockdown for 3 months will kill the economy
but you cant lock everything down
as people will need to get food supplies maintance will need to done

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 11, 2020, 11:01 am

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/115268 ... paign=news

Coming back from a country with Virus , best read this

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 11, 2020, 11:43 am

Lets hope she’s wrong... again... If not this is a scary bit of news.

https://summit.news/2020/03/10/merkel-e ... ronavirus/
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 11, 2020, 11:49 am

Perhaps the best time to catch it is early when ICU beds ares still available. Just in case. Most of us won't need one.

Anyone want to meet up for a beer in Wuhan? Or for a glass of wine in Milan?

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 11, 2020, 12:14 pm

tamada wrote:
March 11, 2020, 7:55 am

I can just see the tourism industry grinding to a halt all around the world in a matter of months as both the Governments and the Airlines impose their respective restrictions, on who can fly from where to where, which nationalities are permitted to enter each country, more lock downs in certain parts of each country. Plus you have the personal decisions by people not to take holidays or fly in the current circumstances.

All this is not good for the Airlines and or the Hospitality industries, or many other industries that depend on them. :-k

One Airline (Korean Air) has already signaled the potential for financial collapse.

News Extract: "Korean Air has warned the coronavirus outbreak could threaten its survival in a memo sent to employees. South Korea has been hit hard from travel restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of the virus. The national carrier has cut more than 80% of its international capacity while encouraging employees to take voluntary leave. In the memo, Woo Kee-hong, Korean Air's president said the airline couldn't predict how long the crisis would last.

If the situation continues for a longer period, we may reach the threshold where we cannot guarantee the company's survival," he said in the memo, which was seen by Reuters...................."

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » March 11, 2020, 1:16 pm

Anyone have any input as far as the best airline/transit point for a Thailand to Seattle flight? Seems like every flight I look at has layovers in S. Korea, Taiwan or Japan. Or does it matter?

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » March 11, 2020, 1:47 pm

Seattle will be on lock down within 7 days. Forget it

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 11, 2020, 2:37 pm

This is a great documentary about the spread in America of the Spanish Flu in 1918 and the extreme measures that were taken to control the pandemic. As the hysteria grows over the Coronavirus, it appears we are headed for the same restrictions on our personal freedoms, so here's a preview of what is likely coming our way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDY5COg2P2c&t=308s
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » March 11, 2020, 2:43 pm

noosard wrote:
March 11, 2020, 10:55 am
A lockdown for 3 months will kill the economy
but you cant lock everything down
as people will need to get food supplies maintance will need to done
Governments have two options (there isn't a third) :

1.Stop the pandemic, save the people, control the flow of patients to hospitals, stop the economy BUT save it, and bring it back on-line in several months, or

2.Keep the economy running and end up with BOTH a pandemic AND an dead economy that will take 10 times longer to get back on-line.

Currently, the governments are choosing no.2, making a very risky bet, based on this idiotic mantra that "warm weather will slow it".

Yes, it will slow it, but this pandemic is already the FASTEST spreading pandemic ever. It won't matter for ---- if it's going to get slower by 10-15%.

This week will show that choosing the second option, will have catastrophic consequences, BOTH medically and economically.

Italy will HAVE TO GO FULL MARTIAL LAW by tomorrow, at the latest on Thursday, if they wanna keep any hope in avoiding a full blown catastrophe.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 11, 2020, 2:53 pm

It's the start of autumn downunder. We look at Italy with alarm.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”