Masks

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Beware of Lazada.

Post by tamada » April 4, 2020, 10:38 am

^^ Good work on securing locally made masks. There's a substantial cottage industry, especially in these provincial parts where honest Thai's are helping their fellow Thai (and farangs) by making masks and either selling them at nominal prices or more often for free, donating them to hospitals, health workers, police, etc.. I still have faith in human nature regardless of their nationality, race and religion.

The reason for the dearth of masks in Thailand has been debated back and forth with the great Sino-Thai mask hoarding conspiracy theory still favored by the least enlightened. I am not pretending to know otherwise as the sad truth is we probably never really know why.

More specifically, the reason for the dearth of masks on lazada is for the very reasons you mentioned in your post but maybe you didn't see as significant. Lazada got caught providing a market place for the gougers and greedy opportunists, both home-grown and in China. They have since taken down most everyone trying to sell a mask at any price. If you type 'mask' in their search engine, they don't seem to exist any more. However, like on craigslist when they decided to clean that marketplace up, traders can get creative in how they word their listing, even on lazada. Typing in 'face protection' in lazada search just now brought up the following among the increasingly popular 'splash guard' type visors.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/levto ... 96062.html

That's 35 baht for a 7 baht mask... with the seller in China.

As for deliveries from China, keep in mind that these supply lines are very challenged and delivery times may be longer than advertised, if they get delivered at all.

Mrs tam acquired a box of 50 tri-fold face masks about two weeks ago. Her niece works in a pharmacy and that was a box from their last shipment received. The price was reasonable, a few hundred baht IIRC, but that pharmacy refuses to buy masks at the over-inflated prices asked by suppliers because if he tried to sell them to recoup that purchase, he would be accused of being the price gouger and thief. Again, there's a huge preponderance of good-hearted Thai people trying to help so you shouldn't focus on the few that don't.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » April 4, 2020, 12:16 pm

Mex wrote:
April 3, 2020, 1:42 pm
Your OP was a complaint about Lazada. Thailand is not Lazada. Your problem is with Lazada..not Thailand Why mention Thailand and not the teeny weeny part of Thailand that is actually getting your bits in a twist?
of course you are completely wrong . my complaint is not with lazada but with lazada thailand . Lazada philippines , malaysia , singapore is ok . It is only the thai shops on lazada thailand with this problem . It is the thais on lazada that were price gouging therefore it is a thai problem , duh !
Also it is the whole of thailand with this problem . i can buy masks from nearly every country in the world except thailand so is there a teeny weeeny bit of you that can understand this . It is a thai problem which includes lazada .
My village has a government office and a small hospital and they all have good masks but nobody else in the village does . that is a thai problem .I do not have any mask because i cannot buy them where i live . That is a thai problem .

Cannot say what i want but why would you think not being able to buy masks in thailand amid a pandemic is not a thai problem . The mind boggles

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Corona Virus / COVID-19 Important Information

Post by 747man » April 4, 2020, 12:24 pm

Pattaya police confiscate more than 750,000 smuggled face masks.......Wonder Where they Put Them ??

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » April 4, 2020, 12:31 pm

That pretty much what i said in my original post which you attacked me for . Its thailand has this problem . I can buy masks online from anywhere in the world except thailand . even if they are a rip off price . the masks on lazada now are from china , there are no masks for sale online in thailand . none , zero .
I bought these from shoppee (china)
masks .JPG
they sare gone now so i suppose sold out.Mine were posted yesterday

Thailand have done something bad and corrupt to make no masks available to their population . Kill them for bahts . Pretty clear all the masks in thailand have been sold to china for a good high price then are being sold back at higher price same as usa .Chinese are evil but so are the people who want to make lots of money on the deaths of their citizens
https://www.ft.com/content/cee34681-5f4 ... 24e9eec68e
If u.s.a is doing this there is no doubt the sino chinese in bkk are doing the same
as an after thought after registering for shoppee for masks i found it is a lot cheaper than lazada , a football i was buying my son 540 baht on lazada 390 baht on shoppee and have found 3 more items i was buying today cheaper on shoppee , so lazadas loss

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by noosard » April 4, 2020, 5:49 pm

But oz has gone dont wear a mask unless sick road

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 4, 2020, 5:52 pm

noosard wrote:
April 4, 2020, 5:49 pm
Because the medical professionals believe a mask is only beneficial if you have the disease, maybe you know better than the doctors???

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 4, 2020, 6:39 pm

But that is not the reason to be wearing a mask
How does one know if they have contracted it
Not know for too long and out about sharing

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 5, 2020, 8:26 am

Only 190 cases yesterday. Mask or no mask, the strategy of encouraging and enforcing stay at home and high level of testing is proving to be very effective.

Personally I wear a mask for a couple of reasons, I know it will not prevent me from getting the virus but it is worthwhile

1. As pointed out, we unwittingly could have it.
2. Face touching is reduced
3. Thai people have adopted face masks, walking in public with a mask is fitting in and respecting their wishes.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 5, 2020, 10:40 am

noosard wrote:
April 4, 2020, 5:49 pm
Is that good or bad?
I suppose that depends on Trump's stance.
It's Udon Map's very own scientific method. All emotion, no science.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Post by noosard » April 7, 2020, 12:15 pm

92578534_10158281898607138_4745323736863866880_o.jpg
Some of the mask made
These for the monks
They bless them and all that use them

Mex
udonmap.com

Post by Mex » April 7, 2020, 7:37 pm

Plenty of gouging going on all over the world. Not exclusively a Thai problem. Members have indicated where you can get face masks. Alternatively you do have opposing thumbs and an IQ.
If it looks good..and smells good..go for it..

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 7, 2020, 8:31 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 4, 2020, 7:34 am
Important information on the effectiveness of masks, I honestly didn’t know this and assumed all masks would help.
Don’t forget that is the protection for you not from you
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 8, 2020, 5:59 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 7, 2020, 8:31 pm
vincemunday wrote:
Important information on the effectiveness of masks, I honestly didn’t know this and assumed all masks would help.
Actually that is wrong, the wearing of a MASK does NOT protect you from Coronavirus but is can deflect the droplets sneezed or coughed, as the Virus can also enter through the Eye socket then a mask ( most not tightly fitted) is useless. What the mask does is to protect others from you if you cough or sneeze. Well that is the theory anyway .

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 8, 2020, 6:29 am

The advice given for the benefits of wearing masks is somewhat conflicting, it’s quite easy to find advice that goes both ways, however, here is an extract from the WHO and it suggests the wearing of masks might yet be beneficial, me myself I would urge all to err on the side of caution and wear the masks particularly as there seems to be Facebook pages etc highlighting Farang that don’t and you might find yourself being berated at best.

“In addition to these factors, potential advantages of the use of mask by healthy people in the community setting include reducing potential exposure risk from infected person during the “pre-symptomatic” period”
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » April 8, 2020, 6:46 am

The effectiveness of any mask depends upon the density of the material used in the mask. :D If dense enough to stop the virus, you can't breath through it. :shock: The effectiveness of the 'average' mask as worn in Thailand is like using a chain-link fence to stop a marble.
Wearing a mask may make someone feel safer, and is therefore a comfort. On the other hand, it may make someone feel so safe that they are careless about close contacts. Take your pick.

In UK the 'standard' in the health service is a solid transparent face shield.

Culturally, face masks are frequently worn in Thailand and other parts of SE Asia as anti-pollution barriers, whereas this is not the case in Western Europe.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 8, 2020, 8:40 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 8, 2020, 5:59 am
sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 7, 2020, 8:31 pm
vincemunday wrote:
Actually that is wrong, the wearing of a MASK does NOT protect you from Coronavirus but is can deflect the droplets sneezed or coughed, as the Virus can also enter through the Eye socket then a mask ( most not tightly fitted) is useless. What the mask does is to protect others from you if you cough or sneeze. Well that is the theory anyway .
The N95 worn correctly and other masks illustrated and the numbers given refer to inbound protection to nose and mouth.
Hence my post.

Outbound protection is very different as for example the N95 has a valve that reduces the outbound protection by a lot

Please Look again at the picture and posts.

For reference
D24F984C-712B-4751-B16F-313E960ACB9B.jpeg
Inbound protection not outbound
D24F984C-712B-4751-B16F-313E960ACB9B.jpeg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

timmy
udonmap.com

Re: Masks

Post by timmy » April 8, 2020, 9:56 am

I noticed at the start of all this most if not all that visited my wifes shop in the village had a face mask on , but day by day fewer seem to be using them, and that's all ages and all Thai ..

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 8, 2020, 10:12 am

There has been lots of discussion about masks, how and when to use them, what various medical professionals recommend regarding masks, effectiveness of various types of masks, availability, etc. And the recommendations concerning the use of masks seems to be a moving target, as well. Let's consolidate all discussion related to masks in this thread.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 8, 2020, 10:33 am

Partly why I think masks might be a good idea for farang.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/f ... -in-phuket
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » April 8, 2020, 10:34 am

I have a big clear plastic bag. Air can come in where it ends around the chest area. It's going over my head while at immigration this month.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”