America coming apart at the seams?

World news discussion forum
mickojak
udonmap.com

Re: America coming apart at the seams?

Post by mickojak » June 2, 2020, 9:06 pm

Probably the same pols that predicted sour puss to win in a landslide?

How many protesters out of the 330 million americans?
I said a tiny, tiny percentage.
Prove me wrong

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 2, 2020, 9:27 pm

Mick,

We both know that the people that get off their bums and attend a protest is no where near those that share their values. Opinion polls towards the end of the Vietnam war in Australia showed 66% opposed the war, but biggest day of protest was 200,000 people. The number on the street is less significant than the prevailing view, so dont try to snow us about peeps on the street, it is only a small part of the overall picture. However I can say large protests have taken place in over 200 cities in all 50 states.

If 78% of Americans believe there is sympathy for people protesting against police brutality against black people, that is hugely significant.

Pushing for estimated figures protesting is plain irrelevant frankly I am astounded at the percentage of Americans who thinks the protests as justified,

But if you think feet on the street is the figure, let me ask you how many protests think the police brutality is justified and protest on the street to support that view. I can tell you straight off......zero
Last edited by Whistler on June 2, 2020, 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 2, 2020, 9:31 pm

Sorry, can't play guessing games right now. Joe's delivering a pretty good speech in Philly right now. I think he sounds presidential but to be honest, it's been so long it's kinda hard to remember what a presidential speech sounds like.

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » June 2, 2020, 9:47 pm

Kinda like this...

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 2, 2020, 10:30 pm

The first thing to do is charge all 4 police officers with murder, show the people that this will not be tolerated.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 2, 2020, 11:31 pm

jai yen yen wrote:
June 2, 2020, 10:30 pm
The first thing to do is charge all 4 police officers with murder, show the people that this will not be tolerated.
I would think that "show the POLICE that this will not be tolerated" is closer to the mark JYY

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 2, 2020, 11:43 pm

Prior to 2016, I mused, "I try to visualize someone like Colin Powell riding atop a Bradley tank, crashing the White House gates, and announcing 'I'm in charge now'. Try as I may, I never get a clear high definition picture of the event in my mind."

Then since 2016, there have been a few times where such an image wasn't such a mirage.

Now, it seems, I've got to alter my line of thinking to, a Bradley tank making the short dash through the White House gates (Colin wouldn't be onboard) with a microphone blasting out, "I'm in charge now" as the tank makes it's way through the streets of DC.

I've been in Okinawa during the American control of the island, Korea under Park Chung-hee, Taiwan under Chiang Kai-Shek, Philippines under Marcos, Saudi under absolute rule of an individual, and simiilar conditions in LoS. The type of authority in those countries, at the time, would appeal to those who don't get their way.

Of course, it's still entirely possible that the Bradley could crash the WH gates going in......but, for today, the opposite picture dominates.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 2, 2020, 11:49 pm

I'm curious what the legal team of UM says about third-degree murder charges. I googled 'people convicted of third-degree murder', but couldn't find anything. Just curious.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » June 3, 2020, 12:35 am

At the End of the day you only have to blame yourselves for the state your in now. This is not a yank bashing this is History. First you kicked out the Native Indians then you stole there land and forced them into Reservations. Then you moved onto killing and Enslaving the rest and forcing them into Slavery. Sadly this post will not be allowed but the blame lies at your door as History has proven. Racism is still rife in the US with white Supremacy groups and Black para military gangs and the odd KKK thrown in. So look into the Mirror and think who truly is to blame and reflect your History.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » June 3, 2020, 1:21 am

anefarious1 wrote:
June 2, 2020, 10:30 am
Anyone see Trump's photo op holding a bible?

How would the United States respond if the leader of any other country used tear gas and flash bombs to violently disperse a peaceful protest in order to walk over to a place of worship and pose for the cameras with a religious text?

Really? A photo opp in front a church that didn’t want him there, holding a Bible from which he cannot name a single verse, all to prove he’s not a coward hiding in his bunker again.

America could very well be coming apart at the seams.
Trump bible.jpg
Trump bible.jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Trump once said, “Nobody reads the Bible more than me.” Guess he must have skipped over these parts:

Luke 1:46-56 And Mary said, My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, .... He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty.

Ephesians 5:3-4 Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes—these are not for you.

Colossians 4:6 Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.

Titus 3:2 [Leaders] must not slander anyone and must avoid quarrelling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.

James 3:13 If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom.

Romans 12:18 Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus replied, ‘‘‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

Luke 6:31-33 [Jesus said,] “Do to others as you would like them to do to you. If you love only those who love you, why should you get credit for that? Even sinners love those who love them! And if you do good only to those who do good to you, why should you get credit? Even sinners do that much!”

Romans 12:21 Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good.

Matthew 6:24 24 No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and be enslaved to money.

Acts 26:20 All must repent of their sins and turn to God—and prove they have changed by the good things they do.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 3, 2020, 2:12 am

I love that photo. That's one for the history books on the Trump presidency.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 3, 2020, 4:23 am

i see the photo-op as " symbolism" , let's kindly return to order. not " i am an avid churchgoer".

these abstract concepts sail over brit's heads

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 3, 2020, 4:28 am

Whistler wrote:
June 2, 2020, 8:00 pm
Perhaps you can be so kind as to answer the question.

I am guessing a left handed,red haired person with a hair lip and is over 185 centimetres tall qualifies as tiny, tiny percentage of the population. Is that who you identify?

Or is it another tiny, tiny part coming away at the seams, Democrats, Texans without guns, West Virginians who did not marry their cousins, Arkansas folk who know both parents, New Yorkers who speak perfect English, Frenchmen who are not arrogant, Germans that shower every day, Thai's that speak nothing but common sense, motorbike riders who only drive safely, Grab riders who do not cut you off, or protesters, blacks or others pertinent to this thread.

Shirley you know, but the rest of us do not. prey tell us, then I promise not to call you Shirley
lot of pent-up anger there whistler . did the texans
not like a whining, complaining scot in their midst? what about the 40% latinos or 5%asians
or 2% native americans? no racial anecdotes about any of them? only the 10% blacks were targeted? sounds like you're " misremembering"

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 3, 2020, 4:39 am

Whistler wrote:
June 2, 2020, 12:17 pm
I am so glad that my children grew up for some of their formative years in Austin Texas. They had great friends of all flavours, learned a bit of Spanish with youngest son's best mate an African American.

They have grown up fine individuals, recognising the dreadful trait of racism, they heard first hand from a school friend whose father was a cop, of his boasting going to East Austin and harassing and beating niggers. They witnessed first hand of families coming to BBQ's and social events, then turning tail on arrival when they saw coloured people in our home.

They were exposed to the bigotry ingrained in a significant percentage of the American population. They also were exposed to good people who spoke out against that ugly truth.

My children are better people for that experience.

I traveled extensively while living in the USA, visiting and doing business in more than 20 states, I found it was not just Austin and not just rednecks who embraced racism, I found it in many places even amongst highly educated people, it is a blot on American society
well, coming from scotland with less than 1% blacks you certainly are an authority on racial diversity. " the scotland model of tolerance" seems to be the way forward. the most racially
diverse country in world, by-and-large peaceful
even with nearly open borders could learn from scots

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » June 3, 2020, 7:42 am

mickojak wrote:
June 2, 2020, 9:06 pm
How many protesters out of the 330 million americans?
I said a tiny, tiny percentage.
Prove me wrong
I asked this,

You, did not answer, because you know that you are wrong, and posted the following BullshYt, which is what you do every time you lose an argument in this forum
Whistler wrote:
June 2, 2020, 9:27 pm
Mick,

We both know that the people that get off their bums and attend a protest is no where near those that share their values. Opinion polls towards the end of the Vietnam war in Australia showed 66% opposed the war, but biggest day of protest was 200,000 people. The number on the street is less significant than the prevailing view, so dont try to snow us about peeps on the street, it is only a small part of the overall picture. However I can say large protests have taken place in over 200 cities in all 50 states.

If 78% of Americans believe there is sympathy for people protesting against police brutality against black people, that is hugely significant.

Pushing for estimated figures protesting is plain irrelevant frankly I am astounded at the percentage of Americans who thinks the protests as justified,

But if you think feet on the street is the figure, let me ask you how many protests think the police brutality is justified and protest on the street to support that view. I can tell you straight off......zero
Please, just answer my question, and prove to everyone that you were wrong.

Like I said, your pedestal is shrinking every day.
now i'll add,
along with your credibility.

Starting to see a pattern in your BullshYt

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 3, 2020, 7:54 am

GW Bush is trying to sew the US back together:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 3, 2020, 8:01 am

Mik
Whistler doesnt need to prove anything to me right or wrong
You need to stop fishing
Its over move on

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » June 3, 2020, 8:16 am

Doodoo,
'With due respect,
Whistler constantly calls other poster liars, conspiracy theorists, spreaders of false information etc.

Yet, when he makes an incorrect statement, he never accepts it, and just twists the story to suit himself.

I've seen it time and time again, and I wish more posters would call him out as well.
Mick

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 3, 2020, 8:18 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 2, 2020, 11:31 pm
jai yen yen wrote:
June 2, 2020, 10:30 pm
I would think that "show the POLICE that this will not be tolerated" is closer to the mark JYY
Both those statements are true
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 3, 2020, 8:24 am

parrot wrote:
June 2, 2020, 11:49 pm
I'm curious what the legal team of UM says about third-degree murder charges. I googled 'people convicted of third-degree murder', but couldn't find anything. Just curious.
Vasquez was convicted of third-degree murder,
https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/cr ... 80216.html

Googled people convicted of third-degree murder charges
skipped to page 10 as all new stuff was about George's death

Return to “World News”