starter motor recon ??

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

starter motor recon ??

Post by maaka » June 30, 2020, 3:47 pm

anyone know of a shop in Udon that reconditions starter motors>? the bushes are going on mine

pal52
udonmap.com

Re: starter motor recon ??

Post by pal52 » June 30, 2020, 5:51 pm

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.42605 ... 8192?hl=en

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Sia ... 6924?hl=en

Try this place ,
He repairs motors a alternators.
He has fixed my swimming pools pumps by replacing bearings and seals.
Also got my motor rewound.
His prices are good and if he can not fix no charge.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 1, 2020, 5:46 am

sound just the ticket Pal..
is it the shop in the middle, or on the right of your google photo ??

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 1, 2020, 6:05 am

or on the left, as it is some sort of mechanic

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 1, 2020, 6:57 am

maaka wrote:
July 1, 2020, 5:46 am
sound just the ticket Pal..
is it the shop in the middle, or on the right of your google photo ??
Its the one in the middle with the GS sign and coffee stall outside.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 1, 2020, 7:08 am

Rodger that..thanks again.. I will give it ago before my starter motor burns out completely..

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 1, 2020, 9:44 am

Mech, are you out there..?
having trouble with my Massey 185...was all going sweet, start first time, never missed a beat, pushed down some jungle, then yesterday I ran out of diesel, fuel cock malfunction or whatever..5hrs on the roadside learning how to bleed the fuel system and get it going again..of course the battery went flat at the last stage, so fanged off and bought a new one...now on top of all this is the starter motor has smoke coming out when I crank her up..goes away after afew minutes, now today I notice the amp meter which has never read in the positive, is way down in the negative...zero at idle, but up to -25 near top speed...freaking out my new battery will go flat...is all this the starter motor..I could never work out why the amp meter never went into the positive, aand I sure as heck checked the wiring was right....any ideas..

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 1, 2020, 12:04 pm

you've got so many different things going on , i'm
scared you'll soon have a complete wiring meltdown . easy enough to replace the brushes in
the starter, you'd be surprised how uncomplicated
it is. but is solenoid shorting-out because you've
got multiple issues. probably disconnect the battery, then take starter motor to bench and see
if you can service it. the current draw is worrisome , you've got what appears to be a short which isn't surprising with old crusty wiring& gizmos pushed to limit. you really need to isolate the different circuits by pulling fuses or disconnecting things

if you pull-off a battery cable, you can place a 12v test lamp in series, this will show if you have a current draw. or use your VOM on starter directly to see if there is continuity between battery cable
post and case(short) you said your dash ammeter
gauge showing discharge. just so many crumbling systems on unit appearing to be failing. it's a process of elimination just work down list begin with starter motor. sorry would've sent pm can't
and i'd like to help as you're being so decent with
the other laid-up guy. you seem to have skills it's
just bouncing ideas around sometimes helps. so
i'll try and burp posts thru system it can take hrs

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 1, 2020, 12:21 pm

well there ya go..turn the wires around on the amp meter and she now reads right..
pulled the starter motor off, and of dear, it has been chewing the edge off the teeth on the fly wheel..
the more you dig the bigger the hole...well at least I am learning as I go..

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 1, 2020, 12:28 pm

typically when starter motor brushes get worn-out
you're left with "open circuit" turn key, nothing happens. you need to pull that off and give it a once over. sometimes even armature can be turned slightly on lathe if it's chewed-up . i fear
your solenoid is also suspect . so patch it up or
buy new starter ugh. every switch, relay, piece of
wire is an unknown. i'm surprised glow plugs work

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 1, 2020, 3:40 pm

think i lost a post somewhere " starter alignment"

so many different applications & motors is it even
the correct one or did it just " manage to work" on
this tractor .
is gear spacing ( lash) roughly correct , when solenoid engages, and pushes gear fwd does it
engage fully. could analyze with scale or vernier
some scooter starters noiseless& others scream

with these issues and you got high comp diesel

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 1, 2020, 7:04 pm

heck, that was a mouthful of mechanical jargon..
anyway, the story goes that I took the plunge and removed the starter motor, which of course only comes away from thee tractor if you are holding your tongue a certain way. Then I strapped it on the carrier of my Phantom, with the flames painted on the tank, which always reminds me of a hotrod, and fanged the 100km into the Big Smoke of Udon. I found the shop that Pal suggested, but one mention of tractor starter motor, and I got the short sharp shift, and the vague pointed directions north, and the word ' tractorwan ' green shop ' tractorwan ?? well I tell ya I hate these sort of directions especially when one has come so far, but off I went, looking for a shop the colour of Ireland. Well I dont think I found it, but almost to the railway line and there was a GS battery shop with abit of green, and a couple of cars with the hood up, so as a last resort I pulled in..
No one understood me, but dad stopped what he was doing under the hood and came and looked at the object on my carrier..' Massey ' I says..and before I could say another word he had it off the motorbike and onto the cluttered shop floor..He was going to sell me a replacement, but it didnt fit..so he changed tack and said ' tomorrow ' and I must have looked dismayed, because the wife came punched in some buttons on her smart phone and a translation to say ' He check it first.' then again, '.maybe he can change inside for new ' ok '..he checked it with a battery and sure enough smoke came out even though it worked..

now this old fella could have been in anyone of F1 pit crew, thats how fast he worked..he had the arse off the thing in no time, and the guts out, checked this and checked that, showed me everything..I said to the missus I come 100km but came come back tomorrow if he busy ' and translation, car he fix no ready until tomorrow ' ok ..
Bugger me days he disappears out back and comes back with an identical starter motor, minus the internal shaft and cog..he split that one in a jiffy, and indicated he make one out of the two..as my one has a bad short in the guts somewhere..he cleaned them all up and wacked it together, and showed me it worked..he then wasnt happy with the threaded nut that the battery lead goes to, so set about to solder a brass circle thing onto it...and voila, 30minutes later a new reconditioned starter motor, 1200bt. I rode home in the pissing rain a happy chappy as I need my tractor this weekend

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 1, 2020, 7:12 pm

a happy ending then . mostly i hadn't played around with this stuff since i was a teenager . sounds fair to me. thought you'd pay 4-5 k

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 2, 2020, 6:28 am

he could only speak the odd word of English, but man, did he know his stuff. I will use him again for motor car or Tractor gumpf

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » July 2, 2020, 7:25 am

Maaka,
Make sure you tell us how it works out

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 2, 2020, 7:32 am

yup. just about to get out there and throw in back in the tractor..fingers crossed

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » July 2, 2020, 9:16 am

mech_401 wrote:
July 1, 2020, 12:04 pm
easy enough to replace the brushes in
the starter, you'd be surprised how uncomplicated
it is.
Could have been a misprint, but o/p was bushes.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » July 2, 2020, 11:17 am

two photos , one of bronze shaft bushings and other carbon/copper elec motor brushes.
images-1.jpg
images-1.jpg (3.97 KiB) Viewed 943 times
images.jpg
the starter shaft alignment bushings probably are
worn and need to be replaced. but this is purely
mechanical, the elec motor will still run if sloppy
the brushes on the other hand, will bring things
to a halt rather abruptly. but good call should get
snap-gauges&micrometers out and check clearance. reminds me friendgirls scoopy screams when starter engages. think boys at shop left out some shims or thrust washer or
somethings off. makes me cringe hearing it

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 2, 2020, 3:15 pm

yes I originally thought the bushes / brushes were going because I believed in youtube, but on opening up the baby they looked fine, just needed a clean up and a squirt of goo..

Today was abit of a failure..Oh I got the starter motor on and wired it back up, and cranked it over, slight hesitation, then fired, not smoke..tried again, slight grrr and then she was away again..I let it run as I was thinking battery was not full, but is new battery yesterday, and full charged as of yesterday..on doing all this and inspecting things as I went along I noticed the end of the solenoid lifted up on one size as I cranked the motor over ...it seems somewhere between the black stump and Udon yesterday, I lost a screw /bolt off the solenoid ..

the solenoid is a jack in a box type of thing, a spring loaded gizmo, so every time you crank, the spring wants to push the cap off..cant have that..of course being a Lucas solenoid the bolts are not metric, and I dont have any american fine or sae..

so I fanged back to Udon to get a bolt off the second motor we used yesterday..but different solenoid, different screw. The nice mechanic gave me the solenoid, tested it , wrote on it what wires went where, as I hadnt taken my starter motor to Udon this time, bugger it. , it was still on the tractor...anyway got home, screws dont fit, and the second solenoid looks like it is to long for the first ones casing...might be back to Udon again tomorrow with all the stuff, and try and get a screw for the old solenoid..I want to keep all the original parts together if I can...got to get it right

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”