Udon Map wrote:
July 5, 2020, 8:41 pm
anefarious1 wrote:
July 5, 2020, 8:09 pm
Udon Map wrote:
July 5, 2020, 6:40 pm
Whistler wrote:
July 5, 2020, 6:17 pm
On top of that, internet and technology giants like google, Apple, Oracle and Microsoft use tax transfer mechanisms so they pay little tax in countries where they make large profits. Chevron is but one other example of dodgy tax arrangements.
Dodgy tax arrangements? What's wrong with arranging one's affairs to minimize income tax as long as it complies with the law? If Congress wants to change the tax law, it can.

Reminds me of when people say that someone charged with a crime got off on a technicality. Technicality? You mean the law?
But you failed to mention that the laws are written for the benefit of the elites. That's what lobbyists are for among many other ways the system is completely rigged to enrich the super rich and well connected. Hardly analogous with a technicality.
The law is the law. Different people will have different opinions about whether or not a particular law is fair.
Obviously! And many people are good sheep, believing the law always trump what is just and fair. They will even vigorously defend such laws because their role is to be sheep (unlike those who the law favors). Many sheep will comply if, for example, a law is passed to microchip heads including those of their children. The country can literally be stolen from them and, as long as it's done lawfully, that is OK with them. FREEDOM!!!!

Udon Map
Admin

Re: America coming apart at the seams?

Post by Udon Map » July 6, 2020, 12:12 pm

anefarious1 wrote:
July 6, 2020, 9:56 am
Udon Map wrote:
July 5, 2020, 8:41 pm
anefarious1 wrote:
July 5, 2020, 8:09 pm
Udon Map wrote:
July 5, 2020, 6:40 pm
Whistler wrote:
July 5, 2020, 6:17 pm
On top of that, internet and technology giants like google, Apple, Oracle and Microsoft use tax transfer mechanisms so they pay little tax in countries where they make large profits. Chevron is but one other example of dodgy tax arrangements.
Dodgy tax arrangements? What's wrong with arranging one's affairs to minimize income tax as long as it complies with the law? If Congress wants to change the tax law, it can.

Reminds me of when people say that someone charged with a crime got off on a technicality. Technicality? You mean the law?
But you failed to mention that the laws are written for the benefit of the elites. That's what lobbyists are for among many other ways the system is completely rigged to enrich the super rich and well connected. Hardly analogous with a technicality.
The law is the law. Different people will have different opinions about whether or not a particular law is fair.
Obviously! And many people are good sheep, believing the law always trump what is just and fair. They will even vigorously defend such laws because their role is to be sheep (unlike those who the law favors). Many sheep will comply if, for example, a law is passed to microchip heads including those of their children. The country can literally be stolen from them and, as long as it's done lawfully, that is OK with them. FREEDOM!!!!
You do have a point, but I'll take working within the system over anarchy any day.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 6, 2020, 4:35 pm

Re. UM You do have a point, but I'll take working within the system over anarchy any day.

You really only have three choices when it comes to a legal system
No 1 Country with Laws that are enforced equally for all.
No 2 Country with Laws of which only some are enforced for whatever/different reasons for selective people and some laws are just not enforced at all (i.e. for Political purpose, for Wealth or reason of Status in Society, or applied based on where you were born and the race of the individuals etc).
No 3 Country with No Laws or very, very very, few that ever get applied.

So lets all pick one, given many of us live in or plan to live in No 2 A and many of us came from a No 2 B or a 2C Country

Then try to find a No 1 Country. None spring to mind immediately, not from those countries that I have visited. :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 6, 2020, 4:46 pm

From a purely personal point of view, I feel that POTUS has spent the last 3 years and six months rubbing most people and countries up the wrong way , even the American people are now seeing beyond his bluster, lies and downright fairy tale stories of his successes. Divisive by nature his game plan always , but now concentrating more on trying to stay where he is so he can manipulate and create more division at home and overseas.
His speeches are in many cases pure fiction and lies embellished with a goodly portion of half truths. By using my old ways of discounting half of what he says as pure fiction or lies what is left is terrible to see and read and even hear.
Reading one or two editorials and reports about how he may attempt to cling on if he loses, tells me he is afraid of losing as then he will open to possible law suits that will keep him busy for years to come .
Having read many books about previous Presidents , he is undoubtedly the worst President in the last 100 years and as America is a mere 300 + odd years old, that is some claim to fame.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » July 6, 2020, 5:47 pm

The United States of America is 244 years old, as of two days ago. No presidents before that. Our first President was inaugurated 231 years ago.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 6, 2020, 6:21 pm

My Home cable is stuck on the Fox News channel since the battery went flat on the remote so I get more of their news and opinions than I would typically listen too. One thing that did get my attention is an overall negative opinion from both Fox presenters and their guests about Donny Jon's Independence Day speech from Mt Rushmore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 6, 2020, 6:45 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
July 6, 2020, 4:46 pm
From a purely personal point of view, I feel that POTUS has spent the last 3 years and six months rubbing most people and countries up the wrong way , even the American people are now seeing beyond his bluster, lies and downright fairy tale stories of his successes. Divisive by nature his game plan always , but now concentrating more on trying to stay where he is so he can manipulate and create more division at home and overseas.
His speeches are in many cases pure fiction and lies embellished with a goodly portion of half truths. By using my old ways of discounting half of what he says as pure fiction or lies what is left is terrible to see and read and even hear.
Reading one or two editorials and reports about how he may attempt to cling on if he loses, tells me he is afraid of losing as then he will open to possible law suits that will keep him busy for years to come .
Having read many books about previous Presidents , he is undoubtedly the worst President in the last 100 years and as America is a mere 300 + odd years old, that is some claim to fame.
KP, why the flattering opine?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » July 7, 2020, 12:07 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
July 6, 2020, 4:46 pm
I couldn't agree more except to say that you have downplayed how much of a POS he really is! There are people who for years have claimed he is playing some sort of "3D or 4D chess" but by now it is plainly obvious to anyone with an IQ over say 80 that Trump is nothing more than a manipulative buffoon.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 8, 2020, 2:13 pm

manipulative buffoon, maybe, but Sleepy Joe will be 78yrs old come election time.. Hell Pelosi is 80yrs old..and Donny was at his inaug, the oldest president at 70yrs..in there lies the rub..to many senile old farts playing politician when they should be home on the settee watching TV..

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 8, 2020, 2:29 pm

maaka wrote:
July 8, 2020, 2:13 pm
manipulative buffoon, maybe, but Sleepy Joe will be 78yrs old come election time.. Hell Pelosi is 80yrs old..and Donny was at his inaug, the oldest president at 70yrs..in there lies the rub..to many senile old farts playing politician when they should be home on the settee watching TV..
=D> =D> =D>
Spot on Maaka. Trump was the better of the offered opposition last time and don't see much better for the next election. Surely somewhere in a population of 350 million there must be some worthwhile candidates who are capable of putting up a fight and are able and willing to lead the Leaders of the World.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 8, 2020, 2:54 pm

If your life depended on it, who would you back for the highest IQ score, if they had to sit for a test and could not cheat.

Clinton, Bush jr., Trump or Obama.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » July 8, 2020, 3:53 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
July 8, 2020, 2:54 pm
If your life depended on it, who would you back for the highest IQ score, if they had to sit for a test and could not cheat.

Probably Obama at this moment in time because Clinton just about ready for an assisted living home.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » July 8, 2020, 3:56 pm

maaka wrote:
July 8, 2020, 2:13 pm
Trump, each day, on the settee watching TV much more than playing politician. Of course he also Tweets how unfair the coverage is while hurling insults. That's about it!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 8, 2020, 4:10 pm

As a community organizer who never worked at a productive job, Obama got elected twice with only his gift of gab. Anyone who can fool that many people for eight years has to have a fairly high IQ.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 8, 2020, 4:17 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
July 8, 2020, 2:54 pm

Why did you not name the latest offerings of potential POTUS's from the Democrats. Seriously, USA needs better.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 8, 2020, 4:31 pm

How do you define a "productive job", glalt - and where do you fit Ronald Reagan's pre-Presidential career within that definition?

We can then have a closer look at what Obama did before he hit the White House if you like.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 8, 2020, 4:59 pm

glalt wrote:
July 8, 2020, 4:10 pm
As a community organizer who never worked at a productive job, Obama got elected twice with only his gift of gab. Anyone who can fool that many people for eight years has to have a fairly high IQ.
Huh??? Far from just that:

Obama taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School for twelve years, as a Lecturer for four years (1992–1996), and as a Senior Lecturer for eight years (1996–2004).[73] During this time he taught courses in due process and equal protection, voting rights, and racism and law. He published no legal scholarship, and turned down tenured positions, but served eight years in the Illinois Senate during his twelve years at the university

In 1993 Obama joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a 12-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate for three years from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004, with his law license becoming inactive in 2007.

Seems quite accomplished to me....I'm just saying....

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 8, 2020, 5:07 pm

Obama inherited the GFC and guided America back on a recovery trajectory, he made serious inroads into reversing the deficit, Wall St recovered and made huge gains under Obama. Before the COVID crisis, Trump through tax cuts and plain dumb decisions has driven the US deficit skywards. Now the COVID crisis is making the US economy look perilous.

Trump is incapable of making balanced economic decisions, he is a one trick pony. Cut taxes, drive the economy up....well it did not work.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 8, 2020, 5:13 pm

Probably would have worked if not for the China Virus. USA economy was on the up and up before our wee friends in the east unleased an economical disaster to the World.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 8, 2020, 7:59 pm

Alex,

Did you see any graphics of US debt after the tax cuts? Staggering!

Return to “World News”