Car Wifi

General Udon Thani topics only!
dunroaming
udonmap.com

Car Wifi

Post by dunroaming » July 28, 2020, 10:00 am

I would be interested to know if anyone have car Wifi installed, what type of dongle they used and service provider and any issues after installed

Many thanks in advance

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Car Wifi

Post by tamada » July 28, 2020, 10:16 am

I had a spare O2 (UK) dongle with an AIS SIM with a data package that ran off cig lighter power and sat inside the arm rest junk box between the front seats. Worked fine but they're designed to auto disconnect when there's no data being streamed which was kinda inconvenient if you'd forgotten to turn it "on" before driving away.

Now I just use my mobile phone with a 200 baht/month data package with audio connected to the vehicle audio by Bluetooth. If anyone needs Wi-Fi, I just turn on the phone's Hotspot.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 28, 2020, 10:23 am

That's what we are doing fed up when going around the town have to reconnect every time

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 28, 2020, 11:11 am

I have a different setup, which I find very simple and effective.

Using the phone as the wifi (data) source, I simply connect to the website I want (via the Global Player app https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ayer&hl=en), and then use a 3.5mm jack cable to connect the phone to the car audio.

When I stop, I just disconnect the phone from the cable and stick it in my pocket ( leaving the app running on the phone), and plug the cable back in when I get back in the car. I sometimes need to touch the "play" arrow on the app to start it again.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 28, 2020, 4:49 pm

I have a Kenwood - Garmin sat nav/player set up and I couldn’t recommend it more, I just leave Spotify running on my phone and connect via BlueTooth, faultless.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 28, 2020, 5:49 pm

vincemunday wrote:
July 28, 2020, 4:49 pm
I have a Kenwood - Garmin sat nav/player set up and I couldn’t recommend it more, I just leave Spotify running on my phone and connect via BlueTooth, faultless.
Vince

Decided easiest option would be to plug in a dongle into the back of the unit using usb connection with will keep the dongle charged and buy a internet plan from Ais or other supplier, unfortunately dongles are a rare breed in Udon so must wait for Lazada to arrive. Shop kindly said they would set up when it arrives for free

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”