A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Barney
udonmap.com

A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » August 31, 2020, 6:50 am

31st AUGUST 1882 . . .

On this day, 31st August 1882, cricket's legend of The Ashes is born with the first of two mock obituaries lamenting England's loss to Australia.

Cricket in Australia has a history that goes back to the nation’s early colonial days. Although Australia has no official sport, cricket is regarded as the country’s unofficial sport. The first reported cricket game took place in Hyde Park, Sydney in January 1804. Inter-colonial games began when a team from Victoria travelled to Launceston, Tasmania for a game in February 1851. The first visit by an English cricket team to Australia occurred during Australia's summer of 1861-62. Australia reciprocated with a team to England, made up of indigenous players, in 1868. Thus began a tradition of the “Mother Country” against the colonial underdog.

The Ashes refers to a Test series played between Australia and England, made up of five Tests, hosted alternately by Australia and England. The legend of the Ashes began after Australia won its first Test cricket match on English soil. The victory was achieved by just seven runs. The English media mourned its loss with a satirical obituary first published on 31 August 1882 in the magazine ‘Cricket: A Weekly Record of the Game’. The obituary read:

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF
ENGLAND'S SUPREMACY IN THE CRICKET-FIELD
WHICH EXPIRED ON THE 29TH DAY OF AUGUST, AT THE OVAL
"ITS END WAS PEATE"

This was followed by another mock obituary in British newspaper ‘The Sporting Times’ on 2 September 1882 and is the basis upon which the Ashes developed. Written by Reginald Shirley Brooks, it read:

In Affectionate Remembrance of
ENGLISH CRICKET,
which died at the Oval on
29 August 1882
Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances
R.I.P.
N.B.—The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia.

After the Australian cricket team returned to Australia in December 1882, the Sydney ‘Bulletin’ wrote about ‘the revered ashes of English cricket which had been lain on the shelf of the Australian Eleven’. As the next test was to be hosted by Australia, the English media began to report on ‘the quest to regain the Ashes’. Thus was the legend of the Ashes consolidated.

Pictured: The death notice that appeared in The Sporting Times.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 31, 2020, 6:57 am

interesting fact Barney ..never knew thats how it all started.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 3, 2020, 9:19 am

3rd SEPTEMBER 1901 . . .
Image On this day, 3rd September 1901, the Australian flag is flown for the first time.
Image Following the proclamation of the Commonwealth of Australia on 1 January 1901, the Commonwealth government held a design competition for a new national flag. There were 32,000 entries in the competition, and most featured the Union Jack, the Southern Cross, or native animals.
Five almost identical entries were selected to share the 200 pound prize. The entries belonged to Ivor Evans, a fourteen-year-old schoolboy from Melbourne; Leslie John Hawkins, a teenager apprenticed to an optician from Sydney; Egbert John Nuttall, an architect from Melbourne; Annie Dorrington, an artist from Perth; and William Stevens, a ship’s officer from Auckland, New Zealand. On 3 September 1901, the new Australian flag flew for the first time from the top of the Exhibition Building in Melbourne. The flag was simplified, and approved by individual Edward VII in 1902.
Pictured: The edition of the Review of Reviews front cover signed by Egbert Nuttall, after the winning designers of the 1901 Federal Flag design competition were announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 3, 2020, 10:58 am

This here is the wattle,
The emblem of our Land.
You can stick it in a bottle,
Or hold it in yer hand.

Good on ya blue, ya beaut!!
wattle (Small).png
https://www.pmc.gov.au/government/austr ... ral-emblem

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 4, 2020, 2:00 am

Abbott is still sitting in the sunshine in the UK:
The UK government is facing increased pressure over its proposed appointment of Tony Abbott as a trade envoy because of his views about women, equal marriage and climate change, with Labour calling for the idea to be scrapped.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rade-envoy

I don't think he's as flash on trade as the UK Tories assert. A PM is somewhat removed from the nitty gritty of a trade portfolio.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 4, 2020, 7:11 am

^ I had to laugh at Matt Hancock's flailing defence of Abbott for UK trade negotiator when he claimed in an interview on Sky TV that Abbott was "obviously an enormous expert in the field of trade." This coming from the UK Health Secretary who, based on the UK's Covid numbers, is not an enormous expert in the field of public health.

In Australia, his own party ousted him then his own constituents kicked him into touch. A failed statesman... just what Johnson needs to throw under the bus when the rubbish trade deals ultimately get inked.

https://news.sky.com/story/tony-abbott- ... e-12062211

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 4, 2020, 7:52 am

A Kiwi works out how to get into Oz:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-t ... to-his-aid

He opted to wait in transit in an airport hotel room rather than spend time in the Covid Lounge at Changi Airport. I've read elsewhere before of a transiting passenger catching Covid 19 when travelling through Singapore.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 4, 2020, 8:03 am

4th SEPTEMBER 1937 . . .

Born on this day, 4th September 1937, Dawn Fraser AC, MBE, Australian freestyle champion swimmer and former politician.

Dawn Fraser was born on 4 September 1937 in Balmain, New South Wales. She was fifteen years old when coach Harry Gallagher noted her exceptional swimming talent and took her under his wing, preparing her for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.

Fraser was the first female swimmer to win Gold in three consecutive Olympic Games, doing so in 1956, 1960 and 1964. Her career spanned some fifteen years, during which she broke and held 41 World records, and remained undefeated in the 100 metres freestyle. Between 1956 and 1964, Fraser broke the women’s world record for the 100-metre freestyle nine successive times.

In 1999, Fraser was awarded “World Athlete of the Century” at the World Sports Awards in Vienna. In the same year, she was also inducted into the Australian Sports Hall of Fame when she was awarded “Athlete of the Century”.

Image Pictured: Dawn Fraser in 1958.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 4, 2020, 8:09 am

555 She looks like a young woman in that photo. Female swimmers these days are usually built more like a Balmain Tiger rugby league player.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 4, 2020, 8:54 am

Barney wrote:
September 4, 2020, 8:03 am
4th SEPTEMBER 1937 . . .

Born on this day, 4th September 1937, Dawn Fraser AC, MBE, Australian freestyle champion swimmer and former politician.

Dawn Fraser was born on 4 September 1937 in Balmain, New South Wales. She was fifteen years old when coach Harry Gallagher noted her exceptional swimming talent and took her under his wing, preparing her for the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.

Fraser was the first female swimmer to win Gold in three consecutive Olympic Games, doing so in 1956, 1960 and 1964. Her career spanned some fifteen years, during which she broke and held 41 World records, and remained undefeated in the 100 metres freestyle. Between 1956 and 1964, Fraser broke the women’s world record for the 100-metre freestyle nine successive times.

In 1999, Fraser was awarded “World Athlete of the Century” at the World Sports Awards in Vienna. In the same year, she was also inducted into the Australian Sports Hall of Fame when she was awarded “Athlete of the Century”.

Image Pictured: Dawn Fraser in 1958.

A bloke I worked with in Longreach back in the 1980's used to wear a "Harpoon Dawn Fraser" t-shirt.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fro ... i6sgw.html

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 5, 2020, 1:32 am

Silly UK government. Abbott's form is well known.

An Aussie wit takes the piss:

https://twitter.com/jonkudelka/status/1 ... 05856?s=20

:lol:

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » September 5, 2020, 7:27 am

GT93 wrote:
September 5, 2020, 1:32 am
Silly UK government. Abbott's form is well known
What form are you talking about.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » September 5, 2020, 9:16 am

Apparently in some people's view, the right to life and the belief that marriage is between a man and a woman is so abhorrently wrong that they have form. The accusation that Tony Abbot is a misogynist is laughable when you consider that Peta Kredlin was Tony Abbot's Chief of Staff for 2 years whilst he was the Prime Minister.
Next we will have a push from the loony left saying we shouldn't marginalize pedophiles, we need to be a more inclusive society.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 5, 2020, 9:29 am

Sport wrote:
September 5, 2020, 7:27 am
GT93 wrote:
September 5, 2020, 1:32 am
Silly UK government. Abbott's form is well known
What form are you talking about.
Probably the same form that got him tossed by his own party, and then by his own electorate.

Interesting appointment by Johnson, given that the Onion Muncher has no direct experience in trade matters - other than trading his country's self-respect.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 5, 2020, 11:04 am

Was in Udon mid week for an over nighter and shopping. Out of the blue I was contacted by my cardiologist from Adelaide just inquiring into my current health status. Just mentioned to him I was fine but down to rationing my medication and looking for alternatives locally.

He tells me that due to the pandemic the Aust. Government had introduced an "over the phone" consultation system - get a blood test done (I was staying in the Pannarai, BKK hospital just over the road) had test results (1706 Baht) in 1 hour. Email the results to him, he prepares a script for 6 months supply which my sister can pick up and send to me = saves me 1000's of AUD! Very timely and well worth perusing if in the same situation yourself.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 5, 2020, 4:50 pm

Just to add:-
Informed a friend who immediately contacted his medical practitioner re getting the same service = was knocked back, the doctor agreed the facility was in place BUT the patient had to be in contact with the practice within a 12 month period prior the phone consultation. Been 18 mths since my friend had been home.

Not a right off yet, looking at other avenues.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 5, 2020, 5:46 pm

Did Albanese fall out of bed today
Has a go at Sco for corona virus failures
These problems go back to the cruise boat stuff up when about March or April

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 5, 2020, 7:50 pm

noosard wrote:Did Albanese fall out of bed today
Has a go at Sco for corona virus failures
These problems go back to the cruise boat stuff up when about March or April
He was perhaps dropped on his head at birth.
Does he have any original thoughts?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 5, 2020, 7:54 pm

It would be nice to know what he actually said before passing judgement.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 5, 2020, 9:44 pm

jackspratt wrote:It would be nice to know what he actually said before passing judgement.
Look it up

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”