Wall Fence around property

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
tony525
udonmap.com

Wall Fence around property

Post by tony525 » November 26, 2020, 9:42 pm

Does anyone know what is the required distance from the village road when building a permanent fence around your property ? The officials from mayor office are giving contradictory statements, one says 3 meters from the street ?! Guess they want some $$$

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Wall Fence around property

Post by tamada » November 26, 2020, 9:47 pm

Your legal boundaries should be listed, measured and diagrammed on the land title (chanote). I don't see many homes that have given up about 9' at the street boundary.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 26, 2020, 11:46 pm

There are loads of Thai government details on the web concerning chanotes and land rights. Using the attached photo of a piece of land that we owned, I'd say the four corner markings on the rectangle indicate the boundaries of the land and thus allow you to build a fence along that line. That said, the area with the dotted line along the long side of the rectangle indicate ทางสาธารณประโยชน์ which indicates a public road. If you were to build a wall on the lines along that public road, and the government decided to put in drainage pipes on the side of the road, they could end up digging along side your fence. If your fence is a solid structure, I'd be concerned that the excavation could affect the integrity of the fence (especially considering the way these drainage pipes are typically loosely installed. If your fence caves, you'd probably not have any recourse against the government.
Over the years in our village, the government has put in permanent roads throughout. Normally, the road goes in first. Then after a while (maybe years), the government decides to put in drainage on the side/sides of the road. As I read the tea leaves, the government can do anything they want right up to your fenceline. There are oogles of Thai websites that talk about people who planted a tree along the public road line........while that road was just a dirt footpath. Maybe decades later, the government decides to put in a road and takes down the tree. From the few sites I scanned, there appears to be little recourse to the people who thought they owned the tree.
Likewise, I've seen many people whose fence was affected by the property owners on the opposing side of the fence who built up their land so high that the fence on one side looked to be 5 feet high, but on the opposite side only 2 or 3 feet high. I know of one American who built in the early 90's just inside the ring road. He never had drainage problems until the big flood of 2000. Then, people built on two sides of his property and raised up their land a meter or more to avoid future flood problems. Their problem solved, but my friend's problems began as his rain water had no way to drain out naturally.
If you're just putting in a cement post/barbed wire fence, then that fence can be repaired/moved easily enough.
While there may be legal ways to fight such problems, they'd be fought in Thai courts. Food for thought for anyone buying/building in Thailand. I don't think it's a "$$$$" problem, it's more a problem of knowing how Thai laws work.
Attachments
20140816_125834.jpg

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » November 27, 2020, 3:13 am

When they measured out the land where i now live (14 years )the boundary was measured 15 meters from the centre of the rd ,that giving the base line that all other measures were taken from ,

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 27, 2020, 6:23 am

If you go to L:and Registry and ask for your land to me measured and documented as correct, I believe change form Green Chanote to a Red Chanote then they will advise you how far from the road as well as place the small concrete markers which shows others your land is correct.
I did that years ago and since then have had zero problems with any agency.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 27, 2020, 6:55 am

All good advice so far. Our land faces a narrow lane so the 15 m from the center of the road wouldn't work. May be they have different offsets for different grades of road?

Our narrow soi recently had storm drains set down both sides. Our side of the soi has the PEA power poles so the trenching was outside of that and snakes around them. Although an eyesore, I have three poles on my short frontage so it was easier for them just to dig in a straight line. However, our neighbor opposite, like all property on that side, had the trench right up against his walls and gate. They all now have steep slopes or steps to get in and out as they can't rebuild their ramps over the sluice covers. Some of the walls look dodgy too as their minimal foundations were taken out by the backhoe.

KP's suggestion is the best. For a nominal fee, you can get them to come and resurvey your plot and set new markers.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 27, 2020, 8:50 am

if there are electric poles? they mostly stand on the border of the land , best however is to go ask at tesaban or comtidin ;)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 27, 2020, 9:12 am

kopkei wrote:
November 27, 2020, 8:50 am
if there are electric poles? they mostly stand on the border of the land , best however is to go ask at tesaban or comtidin ;)
Well actually that remark is basically incorrect as the power pole next to my land is exactly one metre away from the boundary . However in smaller sois and lands you could be correct, but no guarantee they abide by boundary rules . My friend ( Thai ) had is land double checked and three power poles were inside , he now collects rent from PEA for those poles. That does have an upside as he stops most of the Cell phone companies from trespassing to hang cables from said poles.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 27, 2020, 10:07 am

The distance varies, my soi 3m on my side 1.5m on the other from the road edge
Adjourning soi seems 0.5m
There should have been survey markers put in on your boundary
When I built I did get the land office to send out surveyors as my block is not square
Some of the marks were there, missing ones were replaced
Cost about 10k if I remember correctly
Did not want trouble from the neighbours
The 2 rai that backs on to mine is in a extended family squabble, been going for a decade or more

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 27, 2020, 10:46 am

again,best info on this is given by the official instances of your area ...fe tesabaan,comtidin...,
about the same advice here as with immigration problems ...
we did build our wall 1m inwards so we can walk around the wall without trespassing...(we have the small landmark poles) ;)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 28, 2020, 8:49 am

tamada wrote:
November 27, 2020, 6:55 am
All good advice so far. Our land faces a narrow lane so the 15 m from the center of the road wouldn't work. May be they have different offsets for different grades of road?

Our narrow soi recently had storm drains set down both sides. Our side of the soi has the PEA power poles so the trenching was outside of that and snakes around them. Although an eyesore, I have three poles on my short frontage so it was easier for them just to dig in a straight line. However, our neighbor opposite, like all property on that side, had the trench right up against his walls and gate. They all now have steep slopes or steps to get in and out as they can't rebuild their ramps over the sluice covers. Some of the walls look dodgy too as their minimal foundations were taken out by the backhoe.

KP's suggestion is the best. For a nominal fee, you can get them to come and resurvey your plot and set new markers.
Ref surveying a land plot (or sub division) .. 1500 bt per marker post is the norm and a long wait for them to come unless wheels are oiled .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » November 28, 2020, 6:55 pm

Off-topic posts removed.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 29, 2020, 6:36 am

kopkei wrote:
November 27, 2020, 10:46 am
again,best info on this is given by the official instances of your area ...fe tesabaan,comtidin...,
about the same advice here as with immigration problems ...
we did build our wall 1m inwards so we can walk around the wall without trespassing...(we have the small landmark poles) ;)
Part of possible future problems IF you have not had the Land registry chaps out to properly survey and issue a Chanote in Red is that 1 metre of land could be a target for unscrupulous people , although I understand your reasons, here give an inch they take a mile and also other agencies etc can utilise that land for their use. So my suggestion would to be put up marker poles which shows without blocking views etc that that land belongs to you as shown on the Chanote. Cost minimal but removes possible stress later . From my memory the small markers used by Land registry are easily removed, but concreted in small posts, every 5-7 metres are not .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 29, 2020, 8:18 am

From my memory the small markers used by Land registry are easily removed...
yep true, but if you concrete them first in a hollow concrete pillar from 70cm and this one concreted also in the ground ,sticking out 20cm not so easily removed without noticing if the premises are inhabited , smashing them would also be a solution but you would always see the concreted piece in the floor ....
and yes if building 1m inwards (this is an option if your land is big enough anyway)your land could be claimed by the neighbors but this only if you let them ... as info.. ;)

Return to “House & Land”