Any special event planned for July 4th this year?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 25, 2007, 3:42 pm

Ba$$tard :oops:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » June 25, 2007, 5:02 pm

Thanks for your explanation rjb, now let me explain what I was told some seven years ago abouht the 4th's cellbration, it was a time that the Post came together with the community. The purpose was two fold to clelbrate withe holiday and also a a fund raiser to fund the free Christmas party given by the Post each year.

This dates back at least seven years ago when Dale Wages was the Post Commander and beyond that when the Tommy Thompson was the Commander.

Personally I have never seen either one of these events where in the Americans were not outnumbered. Why? because Post member bought books of tickets and gave them away to friends primarily Thai's, the farrang businesses such a Harry's and Steve Bar sold them to other farrangs, who supported the event.

Thier was never a Christmas event wherein every year individual members always dug down into thier own packets and supplemented th Christmas Party. The Commub niyt outside of the VFW dig down in thie pockets as well. John Poe always amazed me in that he and his family pain stakingly wrapped each Christmas present to be given away. Sure some of the VFW kids sit on Santa laps, but so did many underprivilaged children in the area. It was open to all and free. Somehow the chubbist guy amongst always ended up sitting with the itchy beard on.

Those were treated as community events not a celebration of our independence, there couldn't be country left in the world that does not understand our independence.

I belonged to that original Post and was proud of it, I don't belong to the one of today.

I think what you missed in your explanation was that it is not about hamburgers I doubt anyone on this forum can't afford to buy one. It's not about the music. It was about the Post making a tremenedous effort year after year to be a part of the community it was located in. The Community appreciated that and participated with us.

I realize that the Post lost money on the last event to this day I don't really understand why, I caused 200 tickets to be purchased myself. For whcih 186 people showed up for. Those were the orpahns, and I'm truly grateful for the activities the Post provided for them and also to John Oles and the Nissan Market for what they provided to those kids. My best guess is a new guy ran the party an over shot what was possible. Whatever reason it happened and people make mistakes, but it had nothing to do with the community failing to support the activity.

It was no accident I choose to take thoe chidren to that parety I wanted them to see omething beides farrang being bar hounds I wanted them to see famalies that functioned from the farrang community. I wanted them to see the giving nature of farrangs in this community not just Americans but them all. Don't kid yourself I didnlt pay fro those tickets, individuals from this forum paid for them, Thai Businesses like First Homes paid for those tickets and Tool Pro, who did a televison production of the activity and supplied transpoartation for 186 people. College kids came together and helped entertain and supervise those kids. Not one accepted money for it in my knowledge. Brits came out and helped, non members came out and helped. It didn't matter what nationality they were if they were asked they helped. So in the end there were 186 kids last year that looked at the VFW as being heros that day. I can still remember them begging me to bring that back again this year.

You know I had he money available to me I could have done other things that would have been much easier for me, but I believed by supporting the VFW activity I would be giving to the community in two ways. Seeing the VFW giving back at the Annual Christmas celebration which didn't happen either. Hey things happen but what a shame.

So please try to understand whats missing is a traditional community effort done twice a year led by a what was a very small group of Americans, not eating a hamburger and hot dog.

Cudos to Bill Brown for stepping up and helping with providing a celebration of some sorts. Like many other things in Udon a sign of the times I suppose it is really changing here.

But I have to tell you in the past it was not a celebration for Americans but an entire comminity. In my mind it is sad passing of an era.

mackayae
udonmap.com

Post by mackayae » June 25, 2007, 5:09 pm

ray23 wrote:Thanks for your explanation rjb, now let me explain what I was told some seven years ago abouht the 4th's cellbration, it was a time that the Post came together with the community. The purpose was two fold to clelbrate withe holiday and also a a fund raiser to fund the free Christmas party given by the Post each year.

This dates back at least seven years ago when Dale Wages was the Post Commander and beyond that when the Tommy Thompson was the Commander.

Personally I have never seen either one of these events where in the Americans were not outnumbered. Why? because Post member bought books of tickets and gave them away to friends primarily Thai's, the farrang businesses such a Harry's and Steve Bar sold them to other farrangs, who supported the event.

Thier was never a Christmas event wherein every year individual members always dug down into thier own packets and supplemented th Christmas Party. The Commub niyt outside of the VFW dig down in thie pockets as well. John Poe always amazed me in that he and his family pain stakingly wrapped each Christmas present to be given away. Sure some of the VFW kids sit on Santa laps, but so did many underprivilaged children in the area. It was open to all and free. Somehow the chubbist guy amongst always ended up sitting with the itchy beard on.

Those were treated as community events not a celebration of our independence, there couldn't be country left in the world that does not understand our independence.

I belonged to that original Post and was proud of it, I don't belong to the one of today.

I think what you missed in your explanation was that it is not about hamburgers I doubt anyone on this forum can't afford to buy one. It's not about the music. It was about the Post making a tremenedous effort year after year to be a part of the community it was located in. The Community appreciated that and participated with us.

I realize that the Post lost money on the last event to this day I don't really understand why, I caused 200 tickets to be purchased myself. For whcih 186 people showed up for. Those were the orpahns, and I'm truly grateful for the activities the Post provided for them and also to John Oles and the Nissan Market for what they provided to those kids. My best guess is a new guy ran the party an over shot what was possible. Whatever reason it happened and people make mistakes, but it had nothing to do with the community failing to support the activity.

It was no accident I choose to take thoe chidren to that parety I wanted them to see omething beides farrang being bar hounds I wanted them to see famalies that functioned from the farrang community. I wanted them to see the giving nature of farrangs in this community not just Americans but them all. Don't kid yourself I didnlt pay fro those tickets, individuals from this forum paid for them, Thai Businesses like First Homes paid for those tickets and Tool Pro, who did a televison production of the activity and supplied transpoartation for 186 people. College kids came together and helped entertain and supervise those kids. Not one accepted money for it in my knowledge. Brits came out and helped, non members came out and helped. It didn't matter what nationality they were if they were asked they helped. So in the end there were 186 kids last year that looked at the VFW as being heros that day. I can still remember them begging me to bring that back again this year.

You know I had he money available to me I could have done other things that would have been much easier for me, but I believed by supporting the VFW activity I would be giving to the community in two ways. Seeing the VFW giving back at the Annual Christmas celebration which didn't happen either. Hey things happen but what a shame.

So please try to understand whats missing is a traditional community effort done twice a year led by a what was a very small group of Americans, not eating a hamburger and hot dog.

Cudos to Bill Brown for stepping up and helping with providing a celebration of some sorts. Like many other things in Udon a sign of the times I suppose it is really changing here.

But I have to tell you in the past it was not a celebration for Americans but an entire comminity. In my mind it is sad passing of an era.
Great post Ray. Thanks for the reminder.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 25, 2007, 5:25 pm

I have too concur with Ray on this. I've been a life member of this post since 93. Due to being on active duty I haven't been actively involved here. The few times I did attend a meeting I can recall that it was always about the community and ways of giving back. I remember getting emails from Tommy Thompson about how successful these events were. Whether it was giving gifts at Christmas time, having a Easter egg hunt at T.J.s or a picnic at 4th of July it was never about us and them. Happy 4th of July....

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 25, 2007, 5:28 pm

Edited, double post

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » June 25, 2007, 6:42 pm

RAY, I wasn't here 7 years ago and anyway it is histroy. Many things change in 7 years or one year if you look at last year. Seven years ago you weren't married. Seven years ago I lived in Colorado. MY OPINION (and that is valid to me) is that whatever was intended or started out to be by whomever, gradually got out of hand and certaintly was not truly an American Independence Day celebration. Fund raisers can be had without ignoring what the 4th is about. As for the price of hamburgers and hotdogs Ray, you didn't read far enough back to pickup on the snide comment about them, it wasn't about price it was a crack at the traditional American BBQ or picnic food by a disgruntled person. I think it is a situation typical of the culture here about what can we do for them. I appreciate that the VFW has reached out to the community in the past, maybe it is time for someone else to pick up the slack, get some friends together call yourselves whatever you want and set up the committees to organize and run an event for any occasion you want, or just name an occasion and run with it. I especially don't think the VFW should be the whipping boy because it has stopped opening up to the community. It is more involved than just stopping. As in all organizations the few carry the load and frankly those few are pretty burned out. Others are sideliners who contribute little if anything, like a few forum contributors who specialize in sharpshooting (criticizing) but have no substance beyond that.

valentine

Post by valentine » June 25, 2007, 7:12 pm

Well if 4th July is going to be purely for Americans can we not expect to see any around at the the Chinese New Year, or, the Thai New year, Songklan. Maybe chocolate easter eggs should only be for Christians? What nonsense, like it or not these have become international celebrations,.I for one enjoyed celebrating along with my many yankee friends on the 4th, and I come from the losing nation.The point was it was all the farang community showing a touch of life from the other side of the world, working in a spirit of cooperation, to our Thai hosts.I realise this years sounds like a private party . Okay, send invitations to those you want to go like most folk do, not publish in public the details, and say no other nationalities are welcome.Not nice.
Ray I fully endorse your comments. I know how hard you worked last year. I can tell you so did the kids from the home. Congrats.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » June 25, 2007, 7:45 pm

Well RJB enjoy your 4th as I will mine.

The Post position of withdrawing from the community, is thier business not mine.

I have my opinnion of change. I also gave time, effort and money to past events.

I have never seen a organization, where just a few carried the load, just life.

I hope you have success with upcoming fund raisers.

Who did you think would be the target if the activity stopped. This entire discussion probably would not have occured if a simple explanation was offered in the first place. Then maybe the Post wouldn't have been the target of snide remarks.

I'm keenly aware of the problems within the Post, I have never discussed them in a open forum and have no intention of doing so now.

In all honesty I don't think it ever was simply a celebration of the American independence day. But it's your Post if that is what you guys want, that again is your business.

How the community views the actions is thier business. I did read the entire postings in this and I didn't see any surprises.

I would say off hand that you like the approach taken, personally I don't. Could be why I'm no longer a member, but that part was my business.

You know if you guys would have asked for a bit of help you probably would have gotten it.

Well it is what it is.

I wish the Post no harm, but I honestly believe seperating yourselves from the farrang community, is a mistake. But again not my business. Of course my opinnion is as valid to me as yours is to you.

So I've had my say, you've had yours. Hope the party goes well for all that attend.

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » June 25, 2007, 7:49 pm

Valentine, as in my later comments above, anybody so inclined can organize a get together anytime, for any reason. Have a go!!!! Don't let the VFW be the only game in town. You can organize a Farang Celebration so any and all can come, or make it an International Day and open it to farangs and Thais but don't fault the Americans for wanting to get back to the basic of our holiday. I believe the farang communitee understands and appreciates the signifance but I doubt if many Thais understand or really care. American Independence Day is not an international holiday no matter how you shake it. Your comparison to Chinese NY or Thai NY or Songkhran is, as you said nonsense. I have no fault with the international community and don't take it that I do. The VFW members decided not to have an open function this year so let it go at that without everyone sulking and crying foul. FYI I was at least responsible for introducing Ray to the orphanage and played a minor role in the kids attending.

valentine

Post by valentine » June 25, 2007, 8:06 pm

rjb wrote:Valentine, as in my later comments above, anybody so inclined can organize a get together anytime, for any reason. Have a go!!!! Don't let the VFW be the only game in town. You can organize a Farang Celebration so any and all can come, or make it an International Day and open it to farangs and Thais but don't fault the Americans for wanting to get back to the basic of our holiday. I believe the farang communitee understands and appreciates the signifance but I doubt if many Thais understand or really care. American Independence Day is not an international holiday no matter how you shake it. Your comparison to Chinese NY or Thai NY or Songkhran is, as you said nonsense. I have no fault with the international community and don't take it that I do. The VFW members decided not to have an open function this year so let it go at that without everyone sulking and crying foul. FYI I was at least responsible for introducing Ray to the orphanage and played a minor role in the kids attending.
You obviously don,t read the forum very much, or if you do, tend to ignore the non American contribution. I am actively involved in the local community, including farangs. as for your playing a minor role in the orphanage, well good for you, but others may have played a not so minor role as well, just don,t want to shout about it.We had the local school appeal, again masterminded by an Englishman, with help from all nationalities, not least some from USA.I am not knocking my American friends just those who without thinking behave racially.I realise the importance of the 4th July to you, after all there hasn,t been much else to celebrate since, has there? :lol:

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » June 25, 2007, 8:57 pm

I don't read the forum much, you are right. I find many of the comments picky and non related to the subject. My choice. I am not , have not knocked you, or anyone for what you do or don't. I am sorry for those that feel every event has to be an open event for everyone. I was merely trying to put in some information as I have done in the past but it gets sidetracked with petty b s comments. I just really don't understand the fuss about a few Americans wanting to celebrate their holiday and let's not get nasty. Nothing, nothing is stopping you or Ray or anyone else from organizing a celebration for any reason you want but no, let's beat this thing to death and have an excuse to beat up the VFW, the Americans for not being open arms all the time. There is more going on with all this than is, or will be discussed here so let it lay. This is my last response because it is wheel spinning. As for not much else to celebrate since 1776. You are right, never mind that WWI or WWII caused how many American deaths and maimed so you wouldn't be speaking german now. Certainly nothing to celebrate there. And before you jump on that, yes, I fully appreciate the current relations between our countries, My own ancestors came from England and Ireland.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » June 25, 2007, 9:12 pm

I have to agree RJB, VFW has enough problems. You interjected with an explanation, I was merely giving the view by the community as to this sitiuation. I didn't agree with your position and that is that. Wasn't the first time probably won't be the last.

As to the personal comment something I avoided, I'm very capable of putting together something if I wish, certainly not the point here.

Sorry things went the way they did, but I'm not surprised by it.

valentine

Post by valentine » June 26, 2007, 5:56 am

Yes , agree with both Ray and Rjb, enough ribbing . Have a great day on the 4th all my American friends and if your going to the party, don,t forget the party hat, and rjb, make sure you get plenty of mustard :lol: :lol: :lol:
PS: re: learning German, you might be speaking Iranian yet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » June 26, 2007, 7:33 am

RJB, thanks for the update on times and locations. I am headed back to CONUS for a visit to the VA hospital. When I return, I will check back with you. Thanks.

oldfield

Post by oldfield » June 26, 2007, 9:20 am

=D>

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » June 26, 2007, 4:32 pm

Aw come on guys. If it wasn't for us fun loving Brits you wouldn't even have 4th July celebrations.....
Life's a beach.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » June 27, 2007, 2:50 am

You are 100% correct...

Brings to mind the battle cry of the period: "Don't shoot untill you see the whites of their eyes..."

Fortunately - back then, there wasn't as much piss available as there is today - which saves us - or inhibits us - from looking for blood shot eyes....
Ain't Easy Being Me

valentine

Post by valentine » June 27, 2007, 5:56 am

Doc wrote:You are 100% correct...

Brings to mind the battle cry of the period: "Don't shoot untill you see the whites of their eyes..."

Fortunately - back then, there wasn't as much piss available as there is today - which saves us - or inhibits us - from looking for blood shot eyes....
Doc, Its time someone told you your not funny , just downright ignorant, or pissed again.

lighspur1
udonmap.com

Post by lighspur1 » June 27, 2007, 7:26 am

The "Don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes" attributed to Colonel Jackson in the battle of New Orleans which had absolutely nothing to do with the 4th of July as it was fought two weeks after the British surrendured in what some call the second war of independance, the war of 1812.

Agree with RJB, nothing wrong with celebrating our independance day.

mackayae
udonmap.com

Post by mackayae » June 27, 2007, 8:57 am

Well, in eighteen and fourteen we took a little trip
along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip!
we took a little bacon and we took a little beans
and we cought the bloody British near the town of New Orleans
Ol' Hickory said we can take by surprise
if we didn't fire our muskets 'til we looked 'em in the eye
War of 1812.

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”