Global warranty any good in Thailand?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
businessman
udonmap.com

Global warranty any good in Thailand?

Post by businessman » October 28, 2005, 1:26 pm

We were discussing a while back whether to buy in Thailand or the home country.In this weeks Bangkok Post is an article by James Hein about whether a global warranty on an electronic product will be honoured in Thailand.Have posted it here as the web site archives articles after a short while behind subscription:

So you want to get something fixed that you brought somewhere other than Thailand? One of the problems for technology users in Thailand is the "you didn't buy it here" syndrome. Try taking your iPod Mini into any of the Apple centers to get it fixed.

I recently tried that at the one in Fortune mall. The iPod Mini, not mine, was purchased overseas. If it had been bought in Thailand I could have left it there to be looked after. Instead I had to take it to a place on Rama 3, the only place in Bangkok where it would be looked at in any official capacity.

Before you go, however, check the back of the unit. If there is a HP logo there don't bother going anywhere. Apple Thailand will not service the unit and they will send you to HP. When you get to HP you will be given a letter that tells you that the international HP warranty is useless here because HP Thailand does not support these units. So it looks like both Apple and HP do not support their own product in Thailand, in this case.

The really stupid part of this whole waste of time is that the unit is still an Apple iPod, with the same parts, but because it has a HP sticker on the back it can't be fixed here. If nothing else this has convinced me never to buy an Apple iPod. I'll get one of the cheaper and more flexible alternatives. I think I'll stay away from HP for a while as well.

With the notable exception of Sony, which will fix any Sony product at any of their service centers - no matter where you bought it - this Apple case is a typical one in Thailand. If you didn't buy it in Thailand don't expect any help from just about any major international company.

It doesn't matter if you have an international warranty, and even if you want to pay for the repairs I have in the past been refused. Until companies fix this attitude, Thailand will continue to be considered a simple backwater in the electronics and computer industries.

I'd be interested in hearing from readers what companies they have found supporting the repair and warranty on goods they bought elsewhere.

ctm
udonmap.com

Post by ctm » November 4, 2005, 5:32 pm

Toshiba gave me the run-around a few years ago on a notebook. They wanted something like B4000 to just look at it. Ended up fixing it myself with the help of internet forums. Phone tech people would talk to me but didn't speak good English or seem to know much about computers.

Some of the Toshiba models are poorly designed for cpu cooling. They like to overheat and crash. Toshiba knows about it but will never admit it publicly to prevent liability issues. Were sued a few times already.

I had a JVC camcorder fixed in Bangkok at the factory center. It was out of warranty already. They did a good job and it was cheaper than in US but still quite expensive. Think they charged like B2000 for labor. Can't imagine it took more than an hour or two for the service people. I wouldn't recommend JVC for a camcorder. The motor is very sensitive to dirt and dust.

valentine

Post by valentine » November 5, 2005, 7:30 am

Seems like I am one of the lucky ones again. I took my purchased in UK Rolex watch into the service centre in Bangkok, they not only corrected the fault, while I waited, but gave it a free service and polish and provided a limousine to return me to hotel.No wonder all the top sportsmen have them!!!LOL

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » November 5, 2005, 8:10 am

Hmm

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 5, 2005, 4:01 pm

My Rolex that I bought from a trader on Sukumvit Road would not give me a refund when I took it back to complain that it went green when I got caught in the rain.
:lol: :lol:
Tony
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

valentine

Post by valentine » November 5, 2005, 5:25 pm

Hello Tony, What colour did you want ?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 5, 2005, 5:29 pm

I can understand why he didn't give you a refund Tony. I think you were sold one of the rare excess Humidty sensitive Rolex... :D

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”