Golf

Sports, Leisure and Adventure for the active minded. (Udon Thani related topics only)
oldfield

Post by oldfield » July 18, 2007, 5:04 pm

There is a second hand shop near the night market. Actually it's near Sabai Sabai bar. They have quite a few sets of second hand clubs and golf bags there.

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 18, 2007, 6:58 pm

Bob4you wrote:Also in the Army base is a pro shop with many used clubs at reasonable prices.
That

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 18, 2007, 7:00 pm

A few other suggestions;

Most beautiful surroundings; Loei;

Victory Park, not bad either;

Oldest caddy`s, Khon Kaen :shock: ;

Now, what wrong with this picture???
:lol: :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 18, 2007, 7:25 pm

Loaded wrote:Now, what wrong with this picture???

have you broken your ankle...and i guess thats a military owned course as there seem to be small propelled rockets on the grass. ;)

thanks for the pics. :D

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 18, 2007, 7:34 pm

Loaded wrote:Now, what wrong with this picture???
Gee, that's a tough one, there look to be so many faults to pick from.

The most obvious is that the player is stood too close to the ball - after trying to hit it.

Mind you, if the swing actually works, who cares; golf is not about how, it is about how many.

In the final analysis it is far far better to play golf badly than to be pushing up daisies.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » July 18, 2007, 8:16 pm

Have to FIRMLY disagree with the analysis of Sri Thani. It definitely has the potential to be a very nice course (albiet only 9-holes) if they could hire a greens keeper who knew what he was doing. The greens at ST are absolutely atrocious. Huge bare patches covered with sand and they seem to be adding more sand every day. Also of considerable annoyance is the fact that the management there has no time for farangs. It is a 'private' course which offers membership and its associated benefits... BUT NOT FOR FARANGS! They only allow us to play because they need the income generated to keep it going. It is most unfortunate but IMO if there were more Thais playing golf there the farangs would NOT be allowed on the course.

An equally challenging course (more so in my opinion) is the course at the Thai Air Force Base - Lions Golf Course. Several years ago this course was an absolute goat pasture but the base commander has taken a position to improve the conditions there and his leadership shows. Their greens keeper has been working continuously for 2 years and the greens are GREAT. The fairways have been vigorously worked on and several greens have been modified to include more 'terrain'. There's still room for improvement but the price is right and you are definitely made to feel welcome. Give it a try, I'm sure you will be challenged. :D

briang
udonmap.com

Post by briang » July 18, 2007, 8:19 pm

The player has a crisp packet on his face! :razz: Or is that too obvious? :lol:
Brian

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 18, 2007, 8:28 pm

Must be a Ready salted pack then. lol.
Or is that one of the "Red squares" what used to be used on the u/maps. lol

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 19, 2007, 12:35 am

[quote="beer monkey"]Must be a Ready salted pack then. lol.
Or is that one of the "Red squares" what used to be used on the u/maps. lol

The red squares in the map use to indicate something

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 19, 2007, 1:23 am

Pakawala wrote:Have to FIRMLY disagree with the analysis of Sri Thani. It definitely has the potential to be a very nice course (albiet only 9-holes) if they could hire a greens keeper who knew what he was doing. The greens at ST are absolutely atrocious. Huge bare patches covered with sand and they seem to be adding more sand every day. Also of considerable annoyance is the fact that the management there has no time for farangs. It is a 'private' course which offers membership and its associated benefits... BUT NOT FOR FARANGS! They only allow us to play because they need the income generated to keep it going. It is most unfortunate but IMO if there were more Thais playing golf there the farangs would NOT be allowed on the course.

An equally challenging course (more so in my opinion) is the course at the Thai Air Force Base - Lions Golf Course. Several years ago this course was an absolute goat pasture but the base commander has taken a position to improve the conditions there and his leadership shows. Their greens keeper has been working continuously for 2 years and the greens are GREAT. The fairways have been vigorously worked on and several greens have been modified to include more 'terrain'. There's still room for improvement but the price is right and you are definitely made to feel welcome. Give it a try, I'm sure you will be challenged. :D
Different people (golfers), different taste!
Haven

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » July 19, 2007, 9:08 am

I now understand your position, Loaded. Since you haven't played Sri Thani since Feb., I'm now aware of where 'you are coming from' with your original post. :D Recommend you give Air Force another try when next you get back to Udon... you'll be amazed at the changes and you can see where the membership money is being spent. Those of us who have recently joined feel it was a worthy investment. :D

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 19, 2007, 10:23 am

[quote="Loaded"]
When I have said that; I think you and me play golf on a different level? Use to take golf very seriously, was member of Phuket Country Club, two weekly golf lessons, top gear, etc. Well, it didn

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 19, 2007, 1:10 pm

:lol: :lol: They should work better now,they have been ''disciplined'' and ''straightened out''!''bad clubs'' :lol: :lol:

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 19, 2007, 1:23 pm

Pakawala wrote:I now understand your position, Loaded. Since you haven't played Sri Thani since Feb., I'm now aware of where 'you are coming from' with your original post. :D Recommend you give Air Force another try when next you get back to Udon... you'll be amazed at the changes and you can see where the membership money is being spent. Those of us who have recently joined feel it was a worthy investment. :D
Hey, thanks for info and updated, appreciate it :D !
Will give Air Base a try in September or October. That was all new to me; membership and that the money has been spend on the course. Good news anyway! Just curious; how much is a membership and what

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 19, 2007, 1:25 pm

BKKSTAN wrote::lol: :lol: They should work better now,they have been ''disciplined'' and ''straightened out''!''bad clubs'' :lol: :lol:
I thought so too, but I was wrong

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 19, 2007, 1:27 pm

I play ST a few times a week and agree about the greens. I think the green keeper was given some sand a while back and didn't realise it was for the bunkers so put the whole lot on the greens.
Tees and fairways are much better at ST than AF base but greens at AF are better if a bit slow.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » October 18, 2007, 1:50 pm

I am a sad old barsteward with too much time on my hands. Try playing this and not get addicted... :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.ibogleif.dk/spil/flashspil/m ... nigolf.swf

Return to “Sports, Leisure and Adventure in Udon Thani”