Avoiding electrocution and power surges

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
stickyrice
udonmap.com

Avoiding electrocution and power surges

Post by stickyrice » August 19, 2007, 4:44 pm

I am sure this topic has previously been discussed, but I was not able to find it.

I believe it is common practice to local Thai people to unplug everything not in use (except of course the refrigerator). I assume this is to prevent ruining the device due to power spikes. However, recently I heard about 2 separate instances of acquaintances being seriously injured due to electrocution, supposedly while trying to either plug or unplug something. (I guess if you are in Pattaya, peeing off a pier is hazardous too)

So I guess my question is... have people found that using one of those switched, multi-plug surge-suppressors to be sufficient in protecting your electrical devices?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » August 20, 2007, 9:26 am

Surge Protectors definately work. My brother in law keeps his upstairs locked with every thing turned off while he's away.The family use the downstairs area. After a recent thunderstorm tv and dvd downstairs were kaput, upstairs fine and ours on a surge protector no problem either.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 20, 2007, 12:51 pm

surge protectors are a bit iffy here, buy a good one, read specs, if doesn't have specs, bypass it. they also unplug to save electric cost, and i thought this was a ridiculous attempt until further reading proved it can in some cases and locations save as the electric here is far from a constant volt/ampage. the savings would be minimal for farangs, on a 2000 baht bill, how much would you save. ok, for one month i did use the breaker box to control usage when not home and sleeping, didn't notice enough to bother.

back to electricuting yourself, well, unless an electrician, don't have a jacuzzi installed, or if having a pool, i wouldn't install under water lights or run filter while in pool. :shock: :shock: i know, i'm paranoid, but still alive. 8)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » August 20, 2007, 1:40 pm

" or if having a pool, i wouldn't install under water lights or run filter while in pool."

Giving the skill and education level of so-called "electricians" in this country, this is excellent advice.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 21, 2007, 3:06 pm

if you get mild little shocks from you pc or any appliance
you best get a elect. to install grounds in your out lets and change them to 3 prong black hot white neutral and green for ground
I would not use thos old wired out lets in my past apt I had elect. install grounds and new out lets the cost is not high less then 2000 baht for the job

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » August 22, 2007, 7:50 am

Anyone have any recommendations for a good quality surge suppressor unit? I need to put one on the TV, DVD etc.... Is there such a thing as a breaker box with intergral surge suppressor?

Mind you the TW is so paranoid everything is unplugged as soon as there's any sight of a thunder storm, perhaps she's right and I'm too used to ignoring the storms back home where the electricity system is well earthed.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 22, 2007, 11:25 am

save your money stick with the Thai wife she is right also un plug the phone
my recomendation was for your appliance mainly your computer
is for normal wheather conditions
you can buy a UPS at any computer store for about 2K baht
and tesco has a surge protector for 200 or 300 I dont remeber which is pretty good which is recomended for your pc and if you have a plasma TV I would also protect that investment
go the the computer area that were they are

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » August 22, 2007, 12:30 pm

I have got a UPS on the computers and phone line so they're covered but I was looking for a good quality supressor for the TV etc, and yes its a 50 inch plasma.

Fred the Farmer
udonmap.com

Post by Fred the Farmer » August 22, 2007, 5:58 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote:I have got a UPS on the computers and phone line so they're covered but I was looking for a good quality supressor for the TV etc, and yes its a 50 inch plasma.
HOW BIG IS IT??!!!! =P~ ;) :D :razz:

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » August 22, 2007, 6:13 pm

How big is what???? funny man

Return to “House & Land”