Hong Kong's Freedom

World news discussion forum
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Hong Kong's Freedom

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 1, 2022, 7:27 pm

The last vestiges of Hong Kong's freedom are to be tested with the trial of former Apple editor, Jimmy Lai. This case is crucial. In the latest development The Hong Kong Government has asked China to block Lai's British lawyer from representing him.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/jimmy-lai ... -1.6670393

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Re: Hong Kong's Freedom

Post by Earnest » December 1, 2022, 7:38 pm

Jimmy has become symbolic of Hong Kong Cantonese opposition to the CCP rather like Navalny in Russia.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 1, 2022, 10:12 pm

There is no judicial independence in Hong Kong any more.

The case will be decided by what Beijing dictates.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 1, 2022, 11:14 pm

jackspratt wrote:
December 1, 2022, 10:12 pm

I fear you are correct, but let's have this play out anyway. I am hoping that China's stock is so low currently, both inside and outside the country, that they might show a bit of...what's the word...empathy...justice...look the other way. Yeah, I know, it's wishful thinking on my part. There is no light at the end of this tunnel.

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » December 3, 2022, 2:32 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
December 1, 2022, 7:27 pm
The last vestiges of Hong Kong's freedom are to be tested with the trial of former Apple editor, Jimmy Lai. This case is crucial. In the latest development The Hong Kong Government has asked China to block Lai's British lawyer from representing him.

thats a bit dramatic. First of all what is it up to you? Hong K0ng legally reunited with China a few decadesago yet "the west" keeps interfering trying to wreck this proces of unification. Its only normal that in times like that, people who willfully undermine this proces will face consequences for it.
Freedom. dih. Alex Jones got sentenced. In Europe you cannot deny theHolocaust. Etc. CPro Russia channels are now not only censored but completely wiped out in the west. There is no absolute freedom...anywhere.
The only reason the west interferes is not for thewellbeing of the Hong K0ng people, but just to wreck the economy of a growing economic competitor.
America simply wants to wreck the economy of a nation with billions of citizens.
Most people in Hong Kong support the current situation. JUST PIKE INTHAILAND with the RedShirts, its just a relative small group mainly out there to wreck thing and seldom something constructive.
A lot of good things happening in China, just take a look at their new space station. Chinese ppl areexcitedabout that and see all these great accomplishments. They are not hunkering for a Twitteresque freedom of speech which is mainly hate speech and trolling.
Just let Hong Kong be, no need to interfere and push your own values and viewpoint on a civilization that is thousands years old.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » December 4, 2022, 12:26 am

I support the Hong Kong Chinese - I lived there three years. I was there when Tiananmen Square happened in the 80s, I'm under no illusion what the Chinese Communist Party is really like. I'd sooner have a world with a strong western influence rather than something controlled by the CCP or Putin. I know whose side I'm on.

Stand easy, Westers.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 4, 2022, 2:12 am

chopperjoey wrote:
December 3, 2022, 2:32 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
December 1, 2022, 7:27 pm

thats a bit dramatic. First of all what is it up to you? Hong K0ng legally reunited with China a few decadesago yet "the west" keeps interfering trying to wreck this proces of unification. Its only normal that in times like that, people who willfully undermine this proces will face consequences for it.
You need to read the Joint Declaration with a bit more care and understand what China promised and guaranteed in that agreement.

I do not understand your question, 'what is it up to you'? Please clarify. What do you mean the West keeps trying to wreck the process of unification. China seems to be the one interfering in the terms of the agreement. Indicate how the West is interfering. No-one denies China's great achievements, but what does that have to do with China breaking the terms of the Joint Declaration? There are people in Hong Kong who rightly point out China's errors, which is a right they supposedly have and that China agreed to in 1984.

Jimmy Lai, by the way, was the editor of a respectable Hong Kong newspaper that published the views of many Hong Kong people and worked to ensure China did not break the terms of the Joint Declaration. Do you not feel he has the right to defend Hong Kong against the actions of the mainland Government? If not, why not?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 4, 2022, 2:14 am

Earnest wrote:
December 4, 2022, 12:26 am
I support the Hong Kong Chinese - I lived there three years. I was there when Tiananmen Square happened in the 80s, I'm under no illusion what the Chinese Communist Party is really like. I'd sooner have a world with a strong western influence rather than something controlled by the CCP or Putin. I know whose side I'm on.

Stand easy, Westers.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 4, 2022, 2:15 am

Hear, hear. As usual, you are the voice of reason.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 4, 2022, 9:07 am

You and Fawn both make sense to me - in contrast to the rambling, fact-deficient post that precedes yours'.

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » January 16, 2023, 12:16 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
December 4, 2022, 2:12 am
Jimmy Lai, by the way, was the editor of a respectable Hong Kong newspaper that published the views of many Hong Kong people . . . .
No he was not the editor of a "respectable newspaper", he was the founder of the Apple Daily, a sleezy tabloid that has been dragged to court regularly since its beginning for bribing cops, misinformation, slander, fabricating stories.
Wikipedia.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 18, 2023, 6:51 am

chopperjoey wrote:
January 16, 2023, 12:16 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Jimmy Lai, by the way, was the editor of a respectable Hong Kong newspaper that published the views of many Hong Kong people . . . .
No he was not the editor of a "respectable newspaper", he was the founder of the Apple Daily, a sleezy tabloid that has been dragged to court regularly since its beginning for bribing cops, misinformation, slander, fabricating stories.
Wikipedia.
Wikipedia: a loosely moderated faux encyclopedia Britannica where agents of the CCP are free to place disinformation.

PS: It's sleazy.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 18, 2023, 11:17 am

chopperjoey wrote:
January 16, 2023, 12:16 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Wikipedia.
Yeah, sure. Kung Hai Fat Choy!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 18, 2023, 6:05 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
December 1, 2022, 11:14 pm
jackspratt wrote:

I fear you are correct, but let's have this play out anyway. I am hoping that China's stock is so low currently, both inside and outside the country, that they might show a bit of...what's the word...empathy...justice...look the other way. Yeah, I know, it's wishful thinking on my part. There is no light at the end of this tunnel.
As with most everything that happens internal to China, I don't see Xi giving much a care about his stock outside the country......and as an authoritatian, he needn't care much about his stock inside the country. Whatever agreements/treaties/handshakes were made concerning the return of Hong Kong to China rule happened before Xi's time.
As much as we might not like it, Hong Kong is an internal affair to China. We might not like things like the treatment of the Uyghurs or Chinese citizens in Hong Kong, or Chinese citizens in general.......but what happens in China pretty much stays in China....same same Myanmar.
As for Taiwan, that's a more tricky affair.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 18, 2023, 6:43 pm

Hong Kong's freedom died on 29 June 2020.

https://www.dw.com/en/jimmy-lai-nationa ... a-53981830

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 18, 2023, 10:05 pm

100% agree. The documents signed by China on the transition mean zip to them. Power is Power, the only thing the ccp understands
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » January 19, 2023, 2:37 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
January 18, 2023, 11:17 am
Kung Hai Fat Choy, Uncle T!

Year of the rabbit?

We used to get Chinese new year as a holiday over in HK as well as the UK holidays. Also Tsing Ming (Ching Ming, Qingming?). Great days.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 19, 2023, 10:34 am

Earnest wrote:
January 19, 2023, 2:37 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
January 18, 2023, 11:17 am
Kung Hai Fat Choy, Uncle T!

Year of the rabbit?

We used to get Chinese new year as a holiday over in HK as well as the UK holidays. Also Tsing Ming (Ching Ming, Qingming?). Great days.
Yes, it is a rabbit year, and a great time will be had by all. My sons and I got a great head start to the New Year with an excellent dinner at the Healthy Restaurant in Vancouver on Saturday, and mouthwatering dim sum at Chez Tony in Richmond on Sunday afternoon. I am looking forward to more of the same in Khon Kaen in the coming days. You must have some very good memories from your days in Hong Kong.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 19, 2023, 10:41 am

parrot wrote:
January 18, 2023, 6:05 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
jackspratt wrote:

As with most everything that happens internal to China, I don't see Xi giving much a care about his stock outside the country......and as an authoritatian, he needn't care much about his stock inside the country. Whatever agreements/treaties/handshakes were made concerning the return of Hong Kong to China rule happened before Xi's time.
As much as we might not like it, Hong Kong is an internal affair to China. We might not like things like the treatment of the Uyghurs or Chinese citizens in Hong Kong, or Chinese citizens in general.......but what happens in China pretty much stays in China....same same Myanmar.
All this is most likely true. Yet Xi spends a lot of time getting his agents in western countries to ensure that everyone knows he doesn't care what foreigners think of him and his policies. You can see this play out during election campaigns in the west, Chinese police stations in the West (Canada has at least 9 of them), and through the Confucian schools, and pro-China activists on university campuses.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 19, 2023, 2:57 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
January 19, 2023, 10:41 am
parrot wrote:
January 18, 2023, 6:05 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
jackspratt wrote:

All this is most likely true. Yet Xi spends a lot of time getting his agents in western countries to ensure that everyone knows he doesn't care what foreigners think of him and his policies. You can see this play out during election campaigns in the west, Chinese police stations in the West (Canada has at least 9 of them), and through the Confucian schools, and pro-China activists on university campuses.
And Xi still don't care what a bunch of silly little countries think of Chinese culture.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Return to “World News”