Makro

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
neeemu
udonmap.com

Makro

Post by neeemu » October 29, 2007, 8:36 am

Is Makro in Thailand just a supermarket? In the UK I was told you needed a card to shop there with it being a wholesalers. I walked round quickly the other day just to look and the prices didn't look to be much or at all cheaper than Tesco or Big C.
Am I missing something?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Makro in Udon

Post by FrazeeDK » October 29, 2007, 9:15 am

Same as in UK.. It's a big lot type of store and is patronized by many shopowners to buy wholesale for their small stores. Makro Udon gives a discount if you get a membership card. You apply for the card at the entrance customer service desk.. Some of the customer service reps speak OK English. Makro does not give bags or boxes for your purchases unless you buy the bags yourself.
Makro offers a full selection of meats/breads/cheeses that is individually packaged and has a large produce section too. Again, most of the items in Makro are in case lots for bulk purchases...
Dave

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 29, 2007, 9:35 am

We just got our membership card recently. Prior to that the cashier would have a number/code handy and we used that. Now they changed things and if you don't have membership, must go to customer service counter for temporary number. So finally opted for membership card. To get membership card, have to get temp number first, then shop and spend at minimum of 1500 bt. Take receipt to customer service counter and apply for membership card.

Also, we keep extra plastic shopping bags in the trunk/boot of the car. So when we're done we can transfer the non bulk items to in the bags.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » October 29, 2007, 1:52 pm

papaguido wrote: To get membership card, have to get temp number first, then shop and spend at minimum of 1500 bt.
sounds no good for me,only want to use makro to buy lemons as they are not sold anywhere else,1500 baht of lemons means I would need to hire a lorry!!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 29, 2007, 4:09 pm

pompui wrote:
papaguido wrote: To get membership card, have to get temp number first, then shop and spend at minimum of 1500 bt.
sounds no good for me,only want to use makro to buy lemons as they are not sold anywhere else,1500 baht of lemons means I would need to hire a lorry!!
Don't really need a membership card. We just got tired of having to go to customer service each time for a temp number/code. When we shop there we rarely spend over 1500bt, our last visit we barely spent over 1500 and decided to get the membership card.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » October 29, 2007, 4:24 pm

Makro, may a bit cheaper than BigC but its faster, the last two occasions at Bg C I waited for 30 mins to get checked out, its abysmal when they have 30 odd checkouts and 8 manned with a packed shop. At least at Makro the wating time at the checkout is minimal. Other advantage for me is that they are open at 6 am.

Sugarfree
udonmap.com

Post by Sugarfree » October 29, 2007, 9:00 pm

Does Makro sell notebooks (laptops) and other computers like Big C? I want to buy one for my gf. Where is the best place (with reasonable prices) in Udon Thani?

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » October 29, 2007, 9:03 pm

Makro has pretty good prices on some food items, and it seems that the quality of fresh foods is way above every place around here. I don't go into Makro much -usually just see the results when my wife shops there.

How to avoid waiting 30 minutes in line at Big C:

Strategy: Don't go there on week-ends or near the 10th, 15, or end of the month, especially when they fall on a Friday or a week-end.

Tactic: If you get there and the red shopping baskets and the shopping carts are on short supply, and you see long lines at the checkout stand, leave and come back on a more pleasant day. :razz:

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » January 29, 2008, 7:48 am

Good advice RF. I avoid Big C at anywhere peak times and even then they manage to make me wait 10 mins.
I note that Makro has some really decent Bacon now, Good Wiltshire and western style bacon at excellent prices, a lot better than the fatty rubbish thats been available till now.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 12, 2008, 11:08 am

I've just got my Makro card, took about ten minutes to fill out the application form, show my passport and that was it.
Not the same as Makro in the UK where you have to prove you have a business.
Great prices on TV's which I noticed. Had a nice JVC TV for 3500 baht.
Will be back again to buy Chicken which is even cheaper than the fresh markets.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » March 12, 2008, 8:06 am

I have gradually turned to Makro for most of my shopping, despite it being a bit grubby in appearance they make a real effort to stock western style products and with the bonus they are significantly cheaper on some items than the others. Good bacon and kitchen individual sausages, fresh herbs, rosemary, oregano etc and their fruit and vegatvles are excellent, amazingly at fresh market prices.
Doi kam tomatoes, the best in Thailand, for example at 19 Bt a kilo, various types of lettuce.
Only downside is their bakery products are crappy, still have to go to Lotus :( for decent french style bread.
Its a great pity that they don't employ a bakery consulatant for a while as they have all the equipement to make good bread.
Their freezer section they stock NZ souced frozen vegetable mix and Lamb & western Hash browns at 20% cheaper than Lotus.
Unlike my experiences with Big C, I have never had a problem with freshness, in any product.

In the interests of transparency I should make the following disclosure :
I think many of their Girls are dammed Cute and I would like one for a mia noi.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 12, 2008, 9:54 am

fatbas***d wrote:In the interests of transparency I should make the following disclosure :
I think many of their Girls are dammed Cute and I would like one for a mia noi.
That might be O.K.UNTIL your Mrs Finds out !!! [-X [-X

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » March 12, 2008, 6:20 pm

Yes the girls in Makro are cute, we bought a Hitachi Water pump in Makro a full 1200baht cheaper than Global House. As I put the box on the trolley a vision of loveliness sidled up to me and asked me if I want help in plumbing the pump in.
She was on her mobile phone to get a friend to fit it for 500 baht. If you had shop assistants looking she did in the UK, you would have to employ bouncers on the door.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 12, 2008, 7:01 pm

So it seems that the Beer Girls have compitition with the Makro Girls.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 12, 2008, 8:10 pm

beer monkey wrote:So it seems that the Beer Girls have compitition with the Makro Girls.
Ah the only difference is that the girls in Makro do not get better looking the longer you stay in there.... :D

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » March 12, 2008, 8:27 pm

Sometimes when the cases get damaged they will sell the remaining items separately at a discount. As with every grocery store you have to know prices. You can save some money on some items and get screwed on others. They hook you with a sale item than hit you with the other items you decide to buy because you are there.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”