Visa run to Takilek, Burma (Myanmar)?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Sugarfree
udonmap.com

Visa run to Takilek, Burma (Myanmar)?

Post by Sugarfree » October 31, 2007, 11:10 pm

I have to do a Visa run and would like to go to Burma. My plan is to fly from Bangkok to Chiang Rai, take the bus to Maerai, across the bridge to Takilek, Burma and if possible go to Keng Tung and stay there for 1-2 days, then return the same way. I have been looking for info on this on the internet but not found any detailed information. Some of the reports have been rather confusing. One said that you could only stay in Takilek for the day, if you wanted to return back to Thailand, another said that he stayed the night at Keng Tung, but had to leave his passport behind at the border. :shock: Someone mention that one had two have 3 photos and take 3 photocopies of the passport to give to the immigration officials. And then leave the passport behind? Sadly to say I am more confused then ever. All these small bits of information have however been gathered on other forums, which frankly are never as clear and helpful as Udonmap.com. So can anyone here help me with this? What I can and can not do and how should I go about it. I definately dont want to be stuck inside Burma!

p.s.
I know some people want to boycott Burma for their military rule, but if we start going down that road, we might as well boycott Thailand for what the Thai government (not to mention, guess who?) is doing to the Akha-hilltribe people (which are actually the people I want to meet in this Visa run, and why I choose Burma rather then Cambodia or Laos, this time around). See more here: http://www.akha.org/

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » November 1, 2007, 10:02 am

Up until the beggining of this year I was doing this run every ninety days. I have never stayed in Myanmar but I believe it's possible. Once you have crossed the border you will be required to pay a 500Baht fee. You will then have your photograph taken by Myanmar immigration. They will then keep your passport and give you a reciept for it. When you return to the office they will then give the passport back to you in exchange for the reciept.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Barrie.

Sugarfree
udonmap.com

Post by Sugarfree » November 1, 2007, 6:02 pm

Thank you. I have actually found one website that has quite detailed information about Visa runs to Burma through Mae Sai, with a map and evrything: http://www.itisnet.com/english/asia/Tha ... maesai.htm

The only problem is there seems to be some confusion about where I would get the exit stamp from the Thai Immigration.

At one place the author says: "To get the exit stamp, you cannot get it on border. You must come here (marked I on the map). Thai Immigration is on the main road, half way from the bus station to the town."

But later on the author says however: "If you want to renew your Thai visa, go straight to the border and get the exit stamp at the Thai immigaration. Then go to Myanmar immigration and pay for the visa $5 or 250B. Leave your passport to Myanmar immigration and receive the document for their holding your passport. You can get you passport back when you leave and you can get new Thai visa for 30 days when you re-enter Thailand."

So my question is: Is the Thai Immigration located by the border in front of the bridge or about 3 km from the bus station (marked I in the map)? Of course I will find out one way or another but it is good to know beforehand if I take the Tuk Tuk from the bus station straight to the border for my exit stamp or stop about halfway from the bus station to the border? Also: Should I bring photos for the Burma Immigration or do they only want to use the ones they take themselves?

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » November 1, 2007, 6:29 pm

The information you have is not current. G o straight to the border where the immigration office is for Farang's. You do not need to take photo's with you as the Myanmar immigration use their own with the aid of a computor. And the fee is now 500 Baht.

One other point to remember is that if you have a 30 day visa on arrival they may ask to see 10,000baht or if you have a multi-entry o visa and are leaving after 90 days they may ask to see 20,000 baht this is just proof that you have the funds to support yourself. As you re-enter Thailand there is a notice on the office window. Up until January this year I had done this run a dozen times and was asked to show the money twice.

Good luck,

Barrie

Have a good trip.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » November 1, 2007, 6:34 pm

Just one other point, the office you refered to is now for Thai people who have not got a passport and require a border pass. If you are being accompanied by a Thai person who has not got a passport then you will have to go to that office as well.

Barrie.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”