Renew drivers License AEK Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
Bump
udonmap.com

Renew drivers License AEK Udon

Post by Bump » February 1, 2008, 10:19 pm

If my wife undesrstood the T.V. news correctly tonight yuo can now renew yuor drivers license at AEK. Proceed at yuor own risk =D> :lol: :lol:

patriot
udonmap.com

Re: Renew drivers License AEK Udon

Post by patriot » February 1, 2008, 11:19 pm

Bump wrote:If my wife undesrstood the T.V. news correctly tonight yuo can now renew yuor drivers license at AEK. Proceed at yuor own risk =D> :lol: :lol:
I thimk it's just the Tax that you can renew there, same office as the old Immigration.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 2, 2008, 8:48 am

Thats exactly what it was before, but they had some big opening event there yesterday. So maybe it changed maybe it didn't. A lot can be lost in translation.

mackayae
udonmap.com

Post by mackayae » February 2, 2008, 11:23 am

OP is correct. Also the new license is good throughout ASEAN.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » February 3, 2008, 8:36 am

What do you need to show to get a licence renewed at the AEK office, apart from the old licence of course. Do you need to take a test again?

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » February 3, 2008, 12:31 pm

Additional question: when do you need to renew?

Mine expires 8 feb and I will be in Bangkok 6 to 8 feb.

I was told you can not renew before expiration day and up to one month after expriration?

I suppose all I need is a medical certificate and 2 or photos (for car and motorbike)

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » February 3, 2008, 1:52 pm

thalenoi, I got my original license(s) in Pattaya a couple years ago then moved to Udon. I let them expire for 18 months then decided I needed to renew. Went to the office south of Udon and applied for license(s) and they were both renewed for 5 years. Nothing was said about them being expired.
8) .
BTW, while license was expired, I was stopped by police while on my motorcycle. I showed them my license from Nevada, USA, and he looked at it and said, "Oh, International License." handed it back to me and off I went. :D

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » February 3, 2008, 3:11 pm

You can renew before the license expires (at most offices -from reports, this can vary by office), but the will only give you a 1 year renewal. Sounds crazy, but that's the way it is. Best to let it expire so you get teh 5 year license.

alby
udonmap.com

Post by alby » February 3, 2008, 3:39 pm

where is AEK?

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » February 4, 2008, 8:23 am

So what documentation do you need to renew an expired licence at AEK?

Alby - Their address is 555/5 Posri Rd. Amphur Muang Udonthani 41000.
Go along Posri Road from the Nong Prajak Park end, go over the Fountain Circle roundabout you'll find AEK on the right hand side. Take a look at the map on this site

http://www.udonmap.com/images/new_map.gif

alby
udonmap.com

Post by alby » February 4, 2008, 7:36 pm

thank so much, Kudjap which documents do i need to to renew my one year driving licences?

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » February 4, 2008, 7:52 pm

i wish i knew, i need to renew my 5 yr in August

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 4, 2008, 8:10 pm

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 4, 2008, 9:02 pm

Basically you need the same things you needed to get the licnese the first time. The most troublesome is the letter from immigration, really not that big of a deal.

Medical Certificate
Old Drivers license

Passport

photos

Immigration letter

House papers just guessing on that one but you always seem to need them

Did I miss anything?

You can renew on the day of expiration and get the five year, before that you will get a one year.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » February 5, 2008, 8:40 am

Thanks Bump, I was told to renew a day or 2 after expiry, guess this means I'll be driving to the licence office without a licence, hey ho......
Whats the content of the letter from immigration, what do I need to take to them to get the letter? I'm going up there on Friday

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 5, 2008, 9:57 am

Kudjap or Bust wrote:Thanks Bump, I was told to renew a day or 2 after expiry, guess this means I'll be driving to the licence office without a licence, hey ho......
Whats the content of the letter from immigration, what do I need to take to them to get the letter? I'm going up there on Friday
K or B,

You should give Mainers post a read (last post of 1st page). I believe it's the most current. According to his experience you don't need photos as they're now issuing the new smart card type license. Also, take note of the procedure for the letter from Imm.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... highlight=

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » February 5, 2008, 10:22 am

Thanx Papa, The post is a good read and I see the letter from immigration cannot be over 30 days old so it looks like I have plenty of time to work it all out, my renewal isn't until August

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 5, 2008, 11:55 am

It's a standard letter that immigration issues, it's a two day process as I recall, you get a letter from immigration that the landlord has to sign, then the lettre is issued. Pretty easy if the wife is the landlord.

Please remember been three years since I have do this so thing may or may have not changed. I didn't like the idea of driving anymore then I had to on an expired liceense, whcih is why I did it on the day of expiration.

When I did my five year there was no test, just submit the documents and pay the fees.

Hey somebody with more recent experience, now is good time to let everyone know what the situation is now.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » February 5, 2008, 12:38 pm

I renewed to a 5 year car license in late December and found that Mainer's experience was spot on for me except my landlord co-operated completely in filling out the TM-30 and providing copy of his ID card and housebook so I didn't have to go through the hassles that Mainer did.

[quote="Mainer"]As I noted in my last post on this thread, I promised to tell you of my experiences of renewing my (2) temporary 1-year Thai drivers license to 5-year. Yesterday, I was finally successful in getting my motorcycle and car 5-year driver's licenses. Without a doubt, it was the most frustrating experience of my 3-year stay in Thailand. It far exceeded any ordeal of getting any non-O retirement visa, either the 3 month I got in Laos or 9 month or 1-year extension I got here in Thailand.

It is my intention to tell you of MY experience, although it may not be yours. First, I will try and explain the procedure.

What is needed:

1. FIRST, a letter from the Department of Land and Transport (DTL) requesting a certified letter of address from the Immigration. (The letter from DTL is a must, according to my experience. I tried to sidestep that but it did not work).
2. A temporary 1-yr. Thai driver

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 5, 2008, 12:53 pm

Excellent info, yep some things have changed but it's still doable

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”