Thai Driving Licence (again)

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Thai Driving Licence (again)

Post by RALPHCUSENS » March 31, 2008, 3:35 pm

OK, before you all jump down my throat, I'm sorry before I ask, as I know that its been answered many time, But after much searching, I CAN'T BLOODY FIND IT in the archives.

What do I need to produce, to obtain a Thai Driving licence? #-o #-o #-o

Any help would be much appreciated :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 31, 2008, 4:11 pm

Hey Ralph,

I guess it's about time you "invest" a drivers license :D

The following post from Thai1On seems to be the most current:
Thai_1_On wrote:Hi Sparky I may be able to help as I just got my license today. Here is what I had to do. I went the Thai DMV and they said I need a form from Imm. saying that I am a resident. I went to Nong Khai and they gave me a form to take back to the Udon Police dept. to be filled out. So this is what I did today!

1. Take form from Imm. to the second floor of the Udon Police dept. "Alien" officer along with house paper copies of ID, visa, passport, on and on you know the drill.

2. Alien officer tears off his part of the paper signs and stamps it and sends you on your way.

3. Go to Nong Khai Imm. office turn in all paperwork same as above and wait. You will get 2 copies (20 baht) to take to the Thai DMV.

4. Go to second floor of Thai DMV at the top of the stairs turn left and see the lady that seems to wear all black all the time. Her English is poor so have a Thai with you to help. Again turn in all paperwork along with paper from Nong Khai Imm.

5. Take test in room across from the last office you where in. You will seat in a chair and a lady will point to a board to check for color blindness. Just name off the colors she points at. Next is a reaction test, as you seat in the chair you will have 2 car peddles on the floor and a box with a red/green light in it. Step on the gas and watch the green light light up, now when the red light lights hit the brakes and a meter on the side measures you speed. Seems I impressed her with my reaction times I guess all the drag racing paid off ;)

6. After tests you will go back to our lady in black and she'll process your paperwork and hand it back to you then send you to another office.

7. At this office you will have to hand in your paperwork and then have your picture taken. 205 baht later you'll have you "automobile" drivers license.

Notice I said "automobile" drivers license as since I didn't have a motorcycle endorsement on my license from the US I need to take a test for that. "OK where do I take the motorcycle test?" "we only give test motorsi from 8:00 to 11:00" yep TIT so I guess I'll see you tomorrow if you get there early but I don't think you'll make before 12;00 or 1:00 if your lucky :?
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... ce+license

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 31, 2008, 4:44 pm

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » March 31, 2008, 5:21 pm

Posted: March 31, 2008, 3:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Ralph,

I guess it's about time you "invest" a drivers license

The following post from Thai1On seems to be the most current:

Thanks Brian,

yes, thought its about time I got legal, its seems like there is no way around making a trip to Nong Khai, being that I,m getting a bit geriatric, I was hoping that it was posible to avoid the trip up there!

See you at night market on Saturday :D :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 31, 2008, 8:01 pm

Do you have yellow book (house book), that's a way to avoid NK.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » March 31, 2008, 9:40 pm

Hi Ralph,

I just talked with a new arrival here in Udon (can't believe he's not a forum member) and I told him the same steps I talked about earlier and he got his drivers license. Here are the 5 quick steps.

1. Go to police station across from Udon Pit High School and register where you live, get a paper.

2. Go to drivers license office, turn in police paper, get paper from drivers license office.

3. Go to Nong Khai Immigration, turn in paper from drivers license office, get paper from Immigration.

4. Go to drivers license office, turn in Immigration paper, pass brake test, get drivers license, easy.

5. Go to night market, see T1O and buy him a beer, your ordeal is over \:D/

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 23, 2008, 12:15 am

Thai_1_On... Is it really this easy? :shock: Sounds too good to be true. I have Int. licence so does that mean I get to pass go and collect licence.

1. Get letter from apartment manager.
2. Go to see California highway patrol near Udon pit.
3. Go to Gestapo in NK.
4. Back to licence office and hand in Intl. licence and letters.
5. See you in night market and buy you beer.

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » April 23, 2008, 1:16 am

Irish Alan wrote:Thai_1_On... Is it really this easy? :shock: Sounds too good to be true. I have Int. licence so does that mean I get to pass go and collect licence.

1. Get letter from apartment manager.
2. Go to see California highway patrol near Udon pit.
3. Go to Gestapo in NK.
4. Back to licence office and hand in Intl. licence and letters.
5. See you in night market and buy you beer.
Yes Alan, it is that easy,

I actually went to Bua Lam Phu and got mine, I'm told that there they do not put obstacles in your way, which was exactly what happened.

After going to Nong Khai, armed with my proof of residency,got letter from them, took the documentation to the vehicle & licencing office the next morning (9am) exam, road test & issued with licence and out by 1045am!!!!!

For once I certainly have nothing but praise for the service I received

Ralph

:D :D

Thai_1_on, I owe you a pint, see you at the night market :D :D

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 23, 2008, 1:51 am

I'm in shock Ralph... The words driving licence and easy together. :shock: I just read Mainer's post from a while back and was thinking of shipping in a Raleigh Chopper. You got me confused (cue an Irish joke)... You got what in Nong Bua? Letter from The old Bill? :D If it is this easy I will buy you AND T1O an Arthur Scargill... :D

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » April 23, 2008, 2:44 am

If you have a Thai car driving licence, on the basis of having a UK car driving licence is it easier to get a Thai motorbike licence? If so I does one upgrade the existing licence or get another one?

gulfman
udonmap.com

Post by gulfman » April 23, 2008, 3:04 am

Naam Jai. In my case, I have a UK Motorbike Licence and on the strength of that all the paperwork was completed, however, I still had to take (and pass) the practical riding test before my Thai licence was issued.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 24, 2008, 12:13 am

Nobody mentioned a medical certificate. I presume one is required. Jing Jing mentioned a clinic near the clock roundabout. Ralph and Thai_1_On (or anybody) did you have medical tests?
Jing Jing wrote:My uro doctor is Dr. Thawat Phummabowon. He has a clinic just north of the clock round about. He is treating my father in-law for prostate cancer. He has an easy going personality and speaks a little English.

When you want to find medical care look for a doctor first not the hospital. Sometimes the nice looking hospital doesn't have the equipment necessary because they don't have the volume of patients that the government hospital.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » April 24, 2008, 6:17 am

No medical test required when I got mine and you shouldn't have to pay more than a 100bt. I got mine at a clinic near the Land transport office, I think I paid 60 bt took 5 mins.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 24, 2008, 9:49 am

same here, 30 baht and she didn't even look at me. had a cert from aek udon, they wouldn't accept, tho it did say driver license med. cert. go figure. those others have had theirs accepted

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » April 24, 2008, 10:30 am

Alan, yes,

I'm sorry, yes a medical certificate was required, I got mine at the local hospital, 30bht, walked in, Dr asked: " you OK", I said yes. - medical certificate issued, in and out in 10 mins!!!

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Re: Thai Driving Licence (again)

Post by Irish Alan » April 29, 2008, 9:14 pm

An Irishman’s guide on how NOT to get a Thai Driver’s Licence.

Just for the information of anybody in future that will seek a Thai driver’s licence that lives in an apartment well read on. For convenience I will call the land registry office (driver and vehicle licence agency) the DVLA.

We’ve had the short easy version, well in the true tradition of Irish story telling here is the long version.

As directed earlier I got my necessary documents together. I paid a visit to the doctor and he was even better than Ralph’s doctor and didn’t even venture outside from behind his screen. Actually he examined my passport more closely than he examined me. He called his assistant and I wondered what was up with him. It turned out he was looking for an address but I forgot city of birth was written in Irish so I told him pasaa Eye-land and he smiled. “But I don’t want my Irish address on my certificate,” I told him, “I want my Thai address.” He obliged and I scribbled down my Thai address and the certificate was ready in a couple of minutes, costing only a mere 50 Baht.

As I am on a Non-Imm “ED” (educational) visa I also had to get a letter from my school. Next were the letters from my apartment and a signed copy of the tabian baan.

Monday morning 9am arrived at the police station (area 51) to see the Alien Officer. This went smoothly enough and as advised he took the copy of the tabian baan and gave me a receipt for it. As I wrote my name and signed the document he chatted to my girlfriend and her friend (I’ll call her Lek) and he didn’t question anything. We were out in about 15 minutes and we skipped merrily down the corridor having jumped through hoop number 1.

We went to Nong Khai immigration and luckily there was only 3 in front of me but 2 were filling in paperwork and ushered me to go in front of them. This must have been the rock I perished on. My warm up act was an old French man and he had only over-stayed a mere 26 days. Captain Bligh was in good form and ripped monsieur Thibaut a new one. “Why you come here now?” He screamed at him. “Visa finish number 2 you know?” The French guy sat with his head hung. Captain Bligh was like a snowball… The more he went on the louder he got. “Neck munh you come number 2 ok?” And he waved away the shell shocked Frenchman.

I was on next and wai’ed him hoping he would cool down but his body language suggested he wanted me in front of a firing squad for possession of white skin. I laid my documents before him and he snatched the police receipt, waved it in my face and shouted, “What is this?” “A police receipt for the tabian bahn.” I replied. Lek came to join me and he was dumbfounded that I was living in an apartment and had the audacity to look for a driver’s licence. He leaned back in his chair and waved this paper and looked down to the guy that sits to the right. My Thai is sufficient to get the gist that he said, “Fahlang stay in apartment and wants a driver’s licence.” They both had a laugh. When he sat back he told my friend that if I were to proceed I’d need another signed copy of the tabian bahn with someone to verify my tenancy there.

I was told to go back to my apartment and get this document, proceed to DVLA and when they approved it go back to him, then when he approved it I could go back to DVLA.

Back to the apartment we sped and the manager got another signed copy of the tabian bahn for me verifying that I truly stay there. The guy that signed it even photocopied his ID card and with a hand-written note in Thai.

The land registry/DVLA is approximately 17km outside of Udon (Nong Soon) heading for Khon Kaen. Hopefully you will have a native with you that points it out but it is pretty obvious, a white building with its purple roof (if its not purple I’ll fail any future colour-blindness tests). It is on the right side so you drive on a little bit and do a u-turn to get to it. Note: The number 44 songtau goes that far. If you have no transport, it’s a cheap and cheerful alternative.

I went to the second floor and presented my documents. He gave my g/f my licences (Irish and International) and told her to go and copy every page of them. A discussion ensued with the man at the counter and Lek. It didn’t look good. Once again I got the gist… An apartment no but if I was on the tabian bahn of a house it would be ok.

I asked Lek, “Yes or no?” “No,” she replied. I gathered my stuff and just walked out. The 2 of them wai’ed him with a “Khopkhun kaa.” Khopkhun kaa my bollix I thought.

IF I had forgotten an important document and instead of bringing a doctor’s cert I’d brought a menu from the Irish Clock I’d understand.

IF I lived in a 199 Baht per night no-tell motel I’d accept it and understand it but the irony is I know of 2 fahlang guys that got their licence while living here and even the mair bahn told my g/f that fahlang have got their licence in the past while living here no problem.

So to anybody that ever poses the question can you own a car or get a driver’s licence when living in an apartment it seems like so much else it is not black and white. It is at the discretion of an irate immigration official or the man from the DVLA that like to say no.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 29, 2008, 9:36 pm

Alan, sorry to read of your problems. I was just asking you know who how you got on and was told that you haven't been seen today.
You know my story. Almost identical to yours except that I had Mitsubishi manager do all my talking to immigration and DVLA. No visit required to Police station.
I'm sure it's a case of who you know, not what you know. Plus a 1K tip at the DVLA.
My yearly licence is due to expire soon, so I need licence for my new address. If it helps I can show my present licence at immigration with you, showing my registered address at the apartments.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 29, 2008, 9:48 pm

that definitely sucks. yes, udon seems to be the one of the least farang friendly gov't offices around. the amphur office is much better than say 5 yrs ago. imm. well, their world of course, driver license bureau, seem to be a bit picky also. the land office also seems to do things their way, hence me having to redo my power of attorney doc, as it wasn't worded just right for the official. BS, it can be worded any way you want, as long as you understand it. was told be reputable source, udon one of worst land offices, and he has dealt with many. should of accepted the original one with no problems.

well, korat is opening back up, or if on extended holiday in pattaya or hua hin, possiblly much friendly i hear. good luck next time.

thankfully i've got the yellow book, car and license already. not sure what i'll do if i sell house and can't use yellow book. AND NOW IN CENTER RING, JUMPING THE HOOPS............ :shock: please no. guess i should by a tuk tuk and phantom now, while i got yellow book. the car should last 10 years. 8)

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » April 30, 2008, 7:13 am

There is an office of the DVLA at AEK Udon for licences etc but maybe only for renewals.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 30, 2008, 12:04 pm

Hey IA sorry to hear about all the problems. I never though by living in an apartment would be so much trouble.

Hey Lee where's that "How To" forum as it looks like we need to amend the driver license procedure :?

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”