Drink driving

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Drink driving

Post by BangkokButcher » July 6, 2005, 3:25 am

I was surprised to read this tonight in the Asia Bugle:
Drink driving is emerging as an issue closer to home. A Bangkok-based expat was getting into his car when the plod appeared and suggested that he had been drinking. They insisted he pay a 4,000 Baht fine on the spot and forbade him from driving home. He was told if he did drive off, they would have him stopped and then he would go to court and get a substantial fine plus community service. I expect they are still helping drunks back on their motorbikes in Samui but certainly in Bangkok and Pattaya, where one three-time offender got deported, it may be an idea to think again before you drink and drive.
Of course it's illegal to drink/drive in Thailand, no idea of the limits mind you, but was shocked to hear of the 3 time offender that got shipped back home...

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 6, 2005, 4:35 am

I find in common with all the Asian countries I have been in (except Singapore) that the traffic (cars, trucks, cyclists, people, dogs, cattle etc) comes at you from pretty well every direction and that their future intentions and actions are totally unpredictable. :shock:

When that traffic is coupled with some of the road conditions I am not tempted to even think of drinking and driving.

On the few occasions I have driven in Thailand I've found it much easier to abstain from alcohol as there are so many really tasty soft drinks that don

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 6, 2005, 6:18 am

my biggest concern here is having an accident. if drinking alcohol at the time, obviously would make it much more complicated. when i know i'm going to have more than 2, it's hotel time, takes the temptation from me being stupid, if drunk and driving, but more importantly, keeps me from putting myself in a situation where it could cost me a lot of money and possible deportation. if 1 or 2 beers, i would have no problem driving, expecially since i would probably be dining w/beer. but my worry is the young kid or drunk on the motorbike that hits me, without a helmet on and dies. police arrive, oh, you have been drinking, your fault, killed somebody, need big money to get out of trouble, or get sentenced to jail, skip bail or get deported. that 400 baht hotel sounds a lot cheaper and less hassle. plus i can relax and exceed my limit if i desire. which at meetings is seeming to be the case. i've seen a lot of people at bars or drinking, locals and expats, that had a hard time making it to their car/bike, then drove away. i've taken the keys of my one friend and ex family member a couple times, either sleeping at my house or got a ride home. be careful out there, is some people's eyes, the accident is already your fault, even if not drinking.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » July 6, 2005, 8:26 am

be careful out there, is some people's eyes, the accident is already your fault, even if not drinking.
That's why it pays to get the best insurance possible then if the unfortunate happens the insurance company will get to the bottom of the case to find out who's wrong or right. However if you have been drinking then all fingers will be pointing to you.

So far in the past 2 years of living over here I haven't had an accident, touch wood. I'm always very careful when driving and even more so over here because the driving leaves alot to be desired.

I try my best not to drink and drive but if I do then I'll take my motorbike and leave the car at home, and usually by the time I leave the pub the streets are deserted and so there's a smaller chance of an accident. To be honest I find that I can drive very well after a few beers but I guess that just depends on the person.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 6, 2005, 9:47 am

here's my admission to a moment of stupidity, drinking and driving in thailnad, only once, lesson learned. actually wasn't that drunk, although the picture says other wise, lol. 2 mishaps on same night, one accident, one miscalculation, lol, actually not funny, but no injuries, so a chuckle is allowed, even though a stupid moment. ok, first was accident w/tuk tuk going wrong direction w/no lights on. i didn't notice him, might not of even if not drinking, but short story, he took off my psgr mirror with nice scrape on front fender, actually minor. he didn't stop, and i wasn't going to go looking for a cop w/beer breath. next one, miscalculation of braking and turning ability of car. should of got the anti-lock brakes. now in my own defense, i used to miss this turn all the time when not drinking, but tried to make it anyway. obviously didn't, as when i realized i wasn't, i hit my brakes, only to discover for the first time, that this little car slides it's ass off, and the road was a bit damp. thought about releasing brake and steering out of it, but was afraid i wouldn't be able to, then wouldn't be able to stop, so i didn't and luckily, as you see, i didn't fall in the hole, just hanging out there. the hole was another 2-3 meters deep, so that would of rearranged the front end of the car. in the short, 5000 for rental while car being fixed, 3000 additional insurance, as i didn't qualify for no accident discount on renewal, 2000 baht deductable, listen to this reasoning, as no other vehicle reported/acknowledged invovled, either i did it myself, or, received 2000 baht as payment not to report other driver, this as translated by wife from adjuster, what a scam. oh yea, 1000 baht to pull car off edge of hole, at 2 am, before corrupt or honest cop drove by to investigate and bribe or pay fine for lost of control of vehicle.

needless to say, lesson learned, so don't make the same mistake as me, if close to town, get that tuk tuk late at night, let him overcharge you, or get the room if like me, live out of town and r/t would cost more than room anyway. and feel free to laugh at my expense when viewing pic. basically a 11000 baht ooops.

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\ban_%20tad\carhole1.jpg[/img]

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 6, 2005, 10:12 am

let's try that this way, hate to have you miss a chuckle

http://www.geocities.com/khun_la/house.html

you may have to simply copy and paste, either not working or i'm not doing right

http://www.geocities.com/khun_la/house.html

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 7, 2005, 12:41 pm

There are easier ways to change a rear wheel you know !

Great pic :)

john2005
udonmap.com

Post by john2005 » July 9, 2005, 3:04 pm

What is the limit for drinking and driving here?

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 7, 2005, 2:38 pm

Do the local bobbies possess any breatherlisers?

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » August 7, 2005, 5:43 pm

I was stopped by the BiB at the Prajak statue roundabout and they were using blow in the bags. They looked at me and waved me through. I was bloody sober too.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 8, 2005, 10:46 am

Since the children came along never touch a drop if i am driving.Before now thats a different story.

Return to “Thailand Law”