Songkran

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 3, 2008, 3:18 pm

38nholding wrote:speaking of war.Does anyone recall the number of dead and injured last year in Thailand. I think 500 dead and 15000 to hospital.Think open heart surgery in farangistan looks likea better option.
The Nation - 13/04/07 wrote:The first day of the Songkran holiday got off to a dreadful start with 41 people killed and more than 500 injured in road accidents around the country, Transport Minister Admiral Theera Haocharoen said yesterday. Many were caused by drunk drivers.

The deputy director of the National Road Safety Centre said there were 435 accidents on Wednesday, killing 41 people and wounding 514 others. A third of the accidents were caused by drunk drivers, while speeding and cutting in too closely in front of other vehicles were also factors.

Some 85 per cent of accidents involved motorcycles and most took place on straight secondary roads between 4pm and 8pm.

Chiang Mai and Nakhon Si Thammarat experienced the most deaths with three each, followed by Trang, Nonthaburi, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Samut Sakhon, and Surin with two deaths each.

Udon Thani had the highest number of injuries at 23, followed by Nakhon Sawan, Buri Ram, and Si Sa Ket with 19 each.

Si Sa Ket and Udon Thani had the most accidents with 19 each, followed by Chiang Mai at 17 and Nakhon Ratchasima at 13.

Nearly two million vehicles were stopped at checkpoints around the country and 33,719 people were charged. Most were motorists unable to present their driver's licence, followed by riders not wearing safety helmets and drivers not wearing seatbelts.

The Nation - 15/04/07.

Drink-driving chiefly blamed again;victims' kin urged to take payments

As Songkran festivities continue, the number of road-accident victims stands at 169 dead and 2,296 injured in the first three days of the holiday, the Road Safety Centre said yesterday.

The road toll to date is down on that of 2006, Public Health Deputy Minister Dr Morakot Kornkasem said.

Once again, drinking drivers are causing most accidents, he said.

Insurance Department director-general Chantra Buranarerk encouraged families of accident victims to seek initial payments from the victims' compensation fund.

The fund pays actual expenses for injuries to a maximum of Bt15,000.

Relatives of those killed in motor accidents receive Bt35,000. Compensation for victims hospitalised but later dying of injuries is a maximum of Bt50,000.

She said once victims' relatives completed documentation they would receive payment within half an hour. More information is available on the department's 1186 hotline.

The fund was set up by the Road Accident Victims Protection Act of 1997 and is paid for with third-party insurance premiums. All accident victims receive compensation.

The volume of prank and hoax calls to the ministry's emergency Narenthorn Centre is on the rise.

Morakot said that since the festival started on Wednesday 2,153 prank calls had been fielded. Almost 900 bogus calls were made on Friday alone. Most come from public telephone booths, he said.

"This shows people do not realise the importance of the emergency call centre. It is there to save the lives of the critically injured. These calls prevent medical teams reaching real victims on time because those in need cannot get through to the centre," he said.

Senior officer at the Ministry of Culture's Cultural Monitoring Centre, Ladda Tangsuphachai, said yesterday the overall situation of traditional Thai cultural activities during the Songkran Festival has been satisfactory. Only three out of 76 provinces have been found in cultural violation: Chiang Mai, Prachin Buri and Angthong. All three cases related to coyote dancing with revealing and improper dress, she said.

In the Chiang Mai case, the improper dancing was staged in the temple in the middle of the town, she added. "All performances were stopped after police were informed," she said.

The final tally for the Official Songkran Death Toll:

Deaths slightly down, but accidents and injuries increase

The seven "dangerous days" of the Songkran holidays ended yesterday with 361 people killed and 4,805 injured in 4,274 road accidents.

There were 77 more accidents and 79 more people were injured compared to last year, but there were 14 fewer fatalities.

Khon Kaen topped the provincial fatalities list with 16 deaths, while Chiang Rai had the most accidents with 160 and the most injuries with 167.

- The Nation

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » April 3, 2008, 5:25 pm

Ah Songkran, the joys of freezing water sourced from who knows where, mentholated powder in the eyes, drunks everywhere. I am really looking forward to it this year. Post many pics this year as I will be 4500 miles away relaxing in the soothing waters of Noosa beach and counting nipples.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 3, 2008, 5:57 pm

cali4995 wrote:As the horror looms closer, it's time to examine strategies for surviving the weekend/week. Pattaya's official day is supposed to be the 18th-19th. It would almost appear if I stayed here for the first weekend, and then left for Udon during the middle of the week, I could actually skip songkran altogether. I know, it's like saying you want to skip christmas. Sacriligious, bordering on some kind of devil
worship, but I've been hatching this plan in my evil lair for several days now. :razz:
Yes, Pattaya's "official" days are the 18-19. But, believe me, I lived in Jomtien for six years...
Water will start flowing on the 12th and continue EVERYDAY until the 19th.
There will be a few people who on the 20th are still throwing water. :mad:
Expect semi-gridlocked traffic most days after 10am. Some of the revelers mix up some dish soap in water and put into their water guns, hoping to temporarily blind a motorcyclist and cause an accident. And I have heard tales of people peeing into the big barrels of water and throwing the water on people. A real fun bunch down there.
Most Songkran's I would flee the area. One year, Krabi was a real nice place to spend Sonkran. The few years I stayed in the Pattay/Jomtien area, I would rise at the the crack of dawn. Get down to my fitness center, take care of any other things I had to do, and be back in the relative safety of my condo complex by 10am, except for the 13th, 14th, 15th, 18th & 19th.

IMO, Udon is very mellow. I just stay away from Nong Prajak and the mall area.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 3, 2008, 7:31 pm

:lol: Are you sure that you are not all ''racists'',talking about Thais doing all these ''cultural''acts? :lol: :lol:

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 3, 2008, 8:07 pm

In Pattaya, some of the worst offenders are the farangs. :shock:
At least most of the Thai's call it a day around sunset.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 3, 2008, 8:44 pm

:lol: Maybe the alcohol intake has something to do with it,combined with the tourist mentality of ''fun''!

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » April 4, 2008, 5:44 am

Yes, I forgot about the danger of actually travelling during the period. Some of the foreigners are in fact the worst, using water cannons for direct shots at the face.

As one of the other posters mentioned, I mainly get fearful of where the water has been sourced from and what is in it. I'm a wussy I just don't like getting infections. :(

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 4, 2008, 11:49 am

BKKSTAN wrote::lol: Maybe the alcohol intake has something to do with it,combined with the tourist mentality of ''fun''!
Speaking of alcohol intake the TW and family were at Tesco yesterday and saw shopping cart after shopping cart loaded to the brink of falling over full of cases of beer.

I can see the my TW is getting in the mood for Songkran as she hasn't been in LOS in over 10 years during this holiday. So when can I expect the "party" to start here in Udon? Also any "supplys" I should get before the madness starts :guiness: :drunk: \:D/

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » April 4, 2008, 12:46 pm

Supplies? Better load up on the giant water guns at Tesco before they run out. :D

It is all in fun but think I'll barricade myself this year. Went out to Ban Nong Sai village last year during Songkran. Haven't seen that many drunks wandering the streets since we pulled liberty in Barcelona a long time ago. Nong Sai does like to party! One sweet looking young girl was begging me to roll down the window so she could dab my face with white powder and scented water but I fought off the temptress and kept the van moving, slowly. Went past some tiny tots trying to throw glasses and tiny buckets of water at us but were missing completely so put van in reverse and gave them another chance at us to the great enjoyment and delight of the kids inside and outside of the van. Ah, Songkran! :lol:

gulfman
udonmap.com

Post by gulfman » April 5, 2008, 3:36 am

Well, stay at home and shut the door then. The wife and I fly in from the Gulf on Tuesday so that we can be back in Udon for the family and the wet fun: a week of local colour and local culture. :D

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » April 6, 2008, 5:54 pm

I spent last Songkran in Bangkok and will spend this one there as well.

The city is unusually quiet; markedly less traffic; easy to get around even in a taxi; government offices are closed but retail businesses are open.

There is some water throwing, but it's possible to go unwetted, unless of course your wife starts yelling, "Falang, falang, falang!" when you get around a bunch of people throwing water. Best to keep the wallet in a plastic bag.

Many people from Bangkok return to their villages for the holidays. It makes Bangkok nearly livable for a few days. :razz:

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 6, 2008, 6:19 pm

UdonExpat wrote:Best to keep the wallet in a plastic bag.
There might be a run on Ziploc bags about this time... One for your wallet and one for your mobile phone and if your really adventurous, your camera.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 8, 2008, 7:38 pm

The normal Songkran procession from the university to Nong Prajak will not take place this year owing to the impending council elections to appoint a new mayor and council.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 8, 2008, 9:50 pm

Same old same old.
Mrs P. is in Bangkok with some friends from Khon Kaen, there are no tickets to fly until 14th April, that was with Air Asia. Bus, trains, all booked up solid the girls have had to charter a mini bus.
At the main train station Bangkok's Hugiesgotalongone there were fights.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 9, 2008, 10:06 am

I'll be open for Songkran, but will have a couple of cases Tigers in the frig, making sure they are ice cold. Its doesn't look as the city of Udon Thani is doing anything really. Usually about this time Nong Prajak is busy with setting up the booths. This, believe is happening because of the elections next week. All the candidates are working on getting themselves elected. I'm hoping that is won't be a quiet 4 days this year.

Pop's :pirate:

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 9, 2008, 11:13 am

Pop-pop's Net and Games wrote:I'll be open for Songkran, but will have a couple of cases Tigers in the frig, making sure they are ice cold.
Party at pop-pop's :mrgreen: So if we come by to surf the net at the shop you'll keep our glasses full of beer :guiness: ?

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » April 9, 2008, 11:38 pm

There is no "Udon's Sons In Law" day this year? I haven't heard of any talk about that.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 10, 2008, 8:51 am

saw a few people getting started even earlier than i thought, yesterday tossing water out of tuk tuk at new little town, just past st mall. hmm. and i thought my 10 day estimate was a bit of a stretch, usually weekend to weekend. oh well.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 10, 2008, 11:37 am

The first three Songkrans I have participated in had parades and other festivities such as the food fest. Seems they are more interested in getting voted into office than worrying about Songkran. There is nothing happening at Nong Prajak, usually they are getting ready for food fest and Songkran.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 10, 2008, 12:15 pm

Pop-pop's Net and Games wrote:The first three Songkrans I have participated in had parades and other festivities such as the food fest. Seems they are more interested in getting voted into office than worrying about Songkran. There is nothing happening at Nong Prajak, usually they are getting ready for food fest and Songkran.

The explanation is simple. It takes a lot of planning to organise the festival and would have to be done by a committee that would no longer be in office come the day,The new councilors and a mayor yet to be elected, might have different views of what should happen. It is unfortunate that the election timing interfered with the organisation. Nothing to do with lack of interest.

Return to “Open Forum”