Air conditioning

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
mac1966
udonmap.com

Re: Air conditioning

Post by mac1966 » March 2, 2019, 12:29 pm

When we were looking at AC units Do Home were cheaper. But not sure on your preferred brand. We got an lg inverter for under 9000

Sent from my CPH1803 using Tapatalk

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 2, 2019, 1:09 pm

mac1966 wrote:
March 2, 2019, 12:29 pm
When we were looking at AC units Do Home were cheaper. But not sure on your preferred brand. We got an lg inverter for under 9000

Sent from my CPH1803 using Tapatalk
LG stuff is OK but an inverter a/c for under 9k baht? Free installation I assume? Cheapest (discounted) LG inverter on PowerBuy is only ~17k baht. If anyone else is shopping up there at DH, can I ask they take a dekko at that? I am out of the country for a few weeks more or I would do it myself.

There' is a lot of cheap stuff at Do Home BTW but I have read that there's some fake stuff too. Mitsubishi water pumps that maybe aren't Mitsubishi... and confirmed by MItsubishi's Bangkok head office (model number not assembled, officially imported or otherwise officially retailed in LOS).

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 2, 2019, 3:24 pm

I have an old Samsung 9,000 BTU in our bedroom. Granted that it doesn't get used that much but after about 12 years it still works fine. On the other hand I bought a new 12,000 BTU Panasonic inverter from Home Pro for my computer room. It never worked correctly but the servicemen said it works as it is supposed to. After a year when the warranty expired, it developed a fault light. The code said a defective board. They wanted 7,000 baht to replace the board. They couldn't explain why the board went bad. They guaranteed the air con would be working when they left but no other warranty. I told them no thanks and refused to have it fixed. It is sitting in my garage now. It was replaced with an LG inverter. So far it is working correctly, My concern is if the Thai servicemen are capable of competently repairing the inverter units. I also had to replace the air con in my Jomtien condo bedroom. I chose an LG 10,500 BTU conventional unit. I am pleased how it works. I'm not sure if the inverter units are a good idea or not. More money and more problems?

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » March 3, 2019, 6:50 am

glalt wrote:
March 2, 2019, 3:24 pm
I'm not sure if the inverter units are a good idea or not. More money and more problems?
Definitely more in the electronics but electronics as a whole these days for the most part, appear to be fairly reliable.
Friend of mine who ran a two way radio business( trawlers) here in Aus for 40 odd years, said he would go broke these days if he had to rely on repairing.

I think it would be a bad thing for most who live in Thailand to have to go back to the older style piston compressors. Given most mains supply would never support one, let alone two or three in the one place.
Undersized aluminium runs of 300 meters for mains......let alone the PEA use of transformers which leaves voltage drop as a common (TIT) attitude.

In these instances, inverter systems are a God-send ( or rather a Buddha -send)
The inverter SHOULDN'T cost more given the bulk produced but there ya go....

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 3, 2019, 7:08 am

nowadays the inverter type households electrics are not more expensive than others ...
just bought a big inverter refrigerator for my sister in law for 11.400 and a smaller type for other sister for 7.500 ...
not more expensive than the regular type ... ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 3, 2019, 7:13 am

Just an observation between online aircon shopping this time last year and the present. The ratio of conventional versus inverter on the market has shifted towards a more even split; last year inverter's were maybe ~30% of what was on offer? Accordingly, beyond some of the larger, high-end, inverter types, the price differential has narrowed and the smaller inverter units are much cheaper. There's a broader, cheaper choice of them in the 10-15k btu range.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » March 3, 2019, 7:48 am

kopkei wrote:
March 3, 2019, 7:08 am
nowadays the inverter type households electrics are not more expensive than others ...
just bought a big inverter refrigerator for my sister in law for 11.400 and a smaller type for other sister for 7.500 ...
not more expensive than the regular type ... ;)
Perhaps not in the buying price which is a good thing.
However, as Glalt found out, try getting an economic repair done.

Just did a repair on a 7kw split system board which part cost about $6.00.
Finding the fault is not all that difficult if one knows what one is doing.
Then again, that's my job so there ya go.
Quote for a replacement board was "at least $350.00 plus fitting".
Current rate plus original service call out from another so-called service guy would have taken it well over $550.00.

As I said, there is no reason why these boards should cost the amount they do other than a whopper of a cash grab on the part of manufacturers and service people.

Same with motorcycle and car electronics.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 5, 2019, 8:05 am

Looks like Mrs tam is going with an LG for 15k all inclusive. The kid across the street that my boy goes fishing with is apparently now working for a local aircon installer so that made it a shopping no-brainer. He also has used units for 7 k and up but she opted for a new one. Not sure if it's an inverter model. I'll guess I'll find out when I get home.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”