Power Outages

General Udon Thani topics only!
rickschoppers

Power Outages

Post by rickschoppers » May 17, 2018, 9:33 pm

I am looking for someone who can explain the criteria for turning off power to villages on the outskirts of Udon Thani just before an thunderstorm. I have lived outside of Udon off the 210 for over 12 years now. We have had three power outages within the last month or so, each lasting just over three hours. I don't think they are doing this in the city. Why shut off the power in surrounding villages when the power remains on in Udon. What is the rationale for turning the power off to begin with. It is annoying and frustrating. Anyone out there have any knowledge on this topic?

Udon Map
Admin

Re: Power Outages

Post by Udon Map » May 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

Just guessing, but maybe to reduce demand in anticipation of a storm? Power was out here (Soi Jintakam, right behind Ratchapat University) last night up and down the soi for an hour, or so.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » May 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

You are very lucky to loose your your power for such a short I live 10 k the other side of Nahka our three major outages so far have been 17,10 and 16 hours plus the smaller ones we complain it falls on deaf ears

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » May 18, 2018, 3:30 pm

In Sri Chiang Mai they appear to have automated the power outage system, as every time the wind gets up, the power goes off.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 18, 2018, 4:19 pm

Funny thing,my wifes Restaurant in Nongsamrong never get moore then a hickup,never ever like me futher up (Nongsamrong) in a soi (Sam Kasaat)have had now 3 outages/7-8 hour each.As soon the wind start..look for the flashlight and candels.
One week ago they (PEA guys)came to cut ´down some trees that was hanging OVER/ON the cabels,now it look some kids had some training in how to use a chainsaw..Me as a former lumberjack just shook my head when they left my soi..total disaster.
Either you try your best to do a good job or don't do it at all,my motto
Last edited by DuiDui49 on May 19, 2018, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 18, 2018, 4:22 pm

Funny, I'd always thought of it being the other way round, ...... the wiring and connections are so pathetic old and fragile that as soon as the wind rain gets up, the wires separate and the power fails :roll:

If it was being "turned off on purpose" why would you see engineers frantically working in rain storms trying to reconnect it as is usual at the end of our road (outside ring road) :-k

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 18, 2018, 10:23 pm

in our area its usually a lightning strike or a large gust of wind that pushes trees onto lines with the attendant "ba-boom" in the distance as a transformer blows and the power goes off. This results in usually a 2-3 hour power outage.. We know the power is coming back on soon when we see the PEA Truck with flashing lights doing a couple of line clearance checks going by the house.. Then they'll reset the system somewhere and the power returns.. But shutting it off prior to a thunderstorm? I've never seen that.. What gripes me (I live on the east side near the race course) is a PEA maintenance outage where they haven't notified anybody in the village its going to happen.. Had that happen at 12:15 today with the power restored around 16:45....
Dave

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 19, 2018, 7:18 am

Our power in Phonsawan often gets turned off during thunderstorms, apparently they switch it off “just in case”. The longest I’ve seen it turned off for recently is about 6 hours but it happens so frequently that I’ve hard wired plug sockets around the house that run off of a generator and because the new LED lights use so little power I’m putting in a switchover on the loop so they can also run normally during power cuts.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » May 19, 2018, 7:58 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
May 18, 2018, 10:23 pm
in our area its usually a lightning strike or a large gust of wind that pushes trees onto lines with the attendant "ba-boom" in the distance as a transformer blows and the power goes off. This results in usually a 2-3 hour power outage.. We know the power is coming back on soon when we see the PEA Truck with flashing lights doing a couple of line clearance checks going by the house.. Then they'll reset the system somewhere and the power returns.. But shutting it off prior to a thunderstorm? I've never seen that.. What gripes me (I live on the east side near the race course) is a PEA maintenance outage where they haven't notified anybody in the village its going to happen.. Had that happen at 12:15 today with the power restored around 16:45....
Wouldn,t you think they would keep the trees trimmed that grow through the wires or remove the old wires that serve no purpose other than add more weight the existing wires/ poles ????? oh hang on a minute...silly me

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 19, 2018, 7:59 am

luckily we do not have them much (compared to our home baan noak before) , but yesterday we have had an outage from 03 am till 16.45 pm , probably same outage that troubled frazeeDK , only he was lucky it did not last so long , power outage due to a car accident near the police camp , what took down an electricity pole which had to be replaced ...
all of thalaad thaisiry market same outage , 7/11, bigc, lotus ...so i told the wife next coming day's not to buy any food out of their fridges/freezers ... ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 19, 2018, 12:26 pm

We lived with frequent power outages many years ago.....it would drizzle, and the power would be off for 6 hours. Back then, there weren't many generators available......pricey and not very good. Today, there's a generator for sale at Homepro that looks like a power plant. Should our village ever succumb to power problems like we did before, I'd buy one of those generators.
The PEA has a website where it announces scheduled power outages......obviously won't solve the problem for most of the problems listed above, but might be worthy of a daily check for those concerned.
https://www.facebook.com/PEAUD1/

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 19, 2018, 12:37 pm

Somewhere near Ban Nong NaKham (Hwy 22 halfwayish to Nonghan), a despondent man climbed a high-voltage tower in the wee hours of the morning today. At some point, power officials turned off the power that fed through that tower. The article doesn't say how long the power was off.
https://udon-today.com/2018/05/19/610519/

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 19, 2018, 1:26 pm

Yup our village is about 100km NE as ther crow flys, of the Big Smoke. 2 nights ago was a hell thunderplump as all went dead in the wee hours..woke to the missus and boy whispering in the dark, down on the tile floor from our bed..seems the boy was shifted into our room, as it has the aircon, which went dead too, but was at least cooler than his wee oven of a room..I felt ok but they were restless most of the night. I felt like saying ' honey have you checked the cut out switch on the meter box, but the only street light outside our house had got out, so said nowt..we arose with the sparrows fart, and i made a char on the gas hob, only for the missus to say..the cut out switch had turned off, and I turned it on and now power..why I no do that last night and we could have had aircon and good sleep....I wondered if the fellas turn the village power off at thunder time, or we got a surge that flipped our switch and blew the street light..I pondered this over my charlon, but was none the wiser

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » May 19, 2018, 3:29 pm

Its funny, I was going to post this topic before it was posted, May 17.
Our Village lost power 4 times starting 4AM on the 16th, then followed 3 more throughout the day.
But on those days of the Bad storms, never lost power. Hmm?

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 19, 2018, 5:47 pm

maaka wrote:
May 19, 2018, 1:26 pm
Yup our village is about 100km NE as ther crow flys, of the Big Smoke. 2 nights ago was a hell thunderplump as all went dead in the wee hours..woke to the missus and boy whispering in the dark, down on the tile floor from our bed..seems the boy was shifted into our room, as it has the aircon, which went dead too, but was at least cooler than his wee oven of a room..I felt ok but they were restless most of the night. I felt like saying ' honey have you checked the cut out switch on the meter box, but the only street light outside our house had got out, so said nowt..we arose with the sparrows fart, and i made a char on the gas hob, only for the missus to say..the cut out switch had turned off, and I turned it on and now power..why I no do that last night and we could have had aircon and good sleep....I wondered if the fellas turn the village power off at thunder time, or we got a surge that flipped our switch and blew the street light..I pondered this over my charlon, but was none the wiser
Like they way you use the language in writing above post.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

A power outage is scheduled for the area from Ban Kai Teuan to Ban Na Ka on the Nongkai Hwy....20 May and 27 May from 0100 to 0800
https://www.facebook.com/udontoday.news ... =3&theater

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Thanks Duidui49 for the Big Ups, it wasnt much this time around, but just to let you in on a wee secret, mums the word. As it so happens, I have started writing books these last handful of years, and thus am perfecting my style..sometimes you lot bare the brunt of my muse, other times I am off on a more serious mode. Typical Gemini..problem is sometimes, my laptop pre guess's my words, so a number of them come out like I am speaking Zulu or something..anyways, onward

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » May 20, 2018, 2:17 pm

:lol: Well I live out side of ring road, west side, and never see that they turn off power before a storm. :lol:

Hell in last couple years have had almost No outage. But it maybe because I live near the Hotel "in the middle of No Where". :lol:

Will say that some strange ---- happened a couple of weeks or so ago. Yes there was a storm (6 PM), and about 2 hours into the storm (8 PM) the power went out. Then the very strange ----.

Power came back for some (9 PM), I had ceiling fans still running slowly, and 1 small lamp in bedroom was on, nothing else. Some neighbors seem to have full power. Later the whole area went black. Then power came back, but my UPS's said it was not right. This happen a couple of times.

Long story short. Around 2 AM power came back and this time You could tell that it was ok. Never seen anything like this before.

Since then lost power the next day (sunny) for about an hour, and maybe the same the next day. Figured they were fixing something.
Since then had a couple of storms and no problems, but then again, I live near the Hotel "in the middle of No Where". :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 20, 2018, 3:21 pm

Have learnt over many years of power outages that if a storms a brewing switch stuff on ....... when the power goes and comes back at a reduced rate fans/tv/lights etc that were "on" will come back at 25 - 50% enough to work and keep you "less hot" where as stuff that was "off" will not come on at all.
If you have kids who are getting restless after an hour or so of no power, I sometimes go to the car as they are quite happy to sit there watching a video with the cars aircon working.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » May 20, 2018, 3:56 pm

I would say in all my time here in this house 10+ years, when power comes back on it is very close to 100%, except for the night above. Will say when power goes off, sometimes it not fully off, will have ceiling fan still turning, but slow, or ceiling lights glowing. But on this night what was strange was bedroom lamp. Same bulb as ceiling lights, and dam it did seem to be as bright as normal, but ceiling lights nada, even the lonely one over kitchen cabinet. It was just strange, told wife that Buddha was looking after me.

Would also say that low power is not good for appliances, but not much you can do, well except shut the main and go to bed. :lol:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”