Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by tamada » November 29, 2019, 9:27 am

I am qualified for retirement but keep busy with consultant work while I still have some oil in my tank. Up until maybe 3 years ago, I had the pick of maybe 3 or 4 gigs a year that helped my avoid 90-day reports but more importantly, got me out of this arguably blighted Realm for a reality check. Last year, I did about 6 months work straight with a few very short breaks at home before taking a longish break back here. As happened on a prior long layover, the wheels begin to spin, small things begin to assume disproportionate importance and the place basically starts to do my head in. Before the oldest was in school, we would simply take spontaneous family vacations to break the monotony. Nowadays, that is hard to do with the ill-timed Thai school holiday schedule... see what I mean about relatively small things suddenly being big annoyances?! Anyway, during the current extended homestay, I did manage a couple of months of extensive home renovations and "honey do's" but as soon as there was an industry convention or meeting in Bangkok, Saigon or KL, or mates visiting Bangkok and Pattaya on holiday, I was gone!

Good luck to pipoz on staying in harness a bit longer. With an inevitable global recession, topping up the bank account is a bonus IMHO. Just keep in mind that there's increased scrutiny of those fronting up at Bangkok's airports on back-to-back tourist visas. Several oil patch guys, married and living here who have been doing 28/28 work tours in a third country and using either visa exmpt and SETV/METV entries have been bailed up to get the "correct" visa for their circumstances. I recall there may be an unwritten cap on how many SETV/METV entries once can do or maybe it's a restriction on how many one can get in regional embassies and consulates? The border out/in at Nong Khai still seems to be drama free but some other land borders have been on the avoid list for a few years already.

mr passout
udonmap.com

Post by mr passout » November 29, 2019, 9:48 am

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 29, 2019, 8:37 pm

tamada wrote:
November 29, 2019, 9:27 am
I am qualified for retirement but keep busy with consultant work while I still have some oil in my tank. Up until maybe 3 years ago, I had the pick of maybe 3 or 4 gigs a year that helped my avoid 90-day reports but more importantly, got me out of this arguably blighted Realm for a reality check. Last year, I did about 6 months work straight with a few very short breaks at home before taking a longish break back here. As happened on a prior long layover, the wheels begin to spin, small things begin to assume disproportionate importance and the place basically starts to do my head in. Before the oldest was in school, we would simply take spontaneous family vacations to break the monotony. Nowadays, that is hard to do with the ill-timed Thai school holiday schedule... see what I mean about relatively small things suddenly being big annoyances?! Anyway, during the current extended homestay, I did manage a couple of months of extensive home renovations and "honey do's" but as soon as there was an industry convention or meeting in Bangkok, Saigon or KL, or mates visiting Bangkok and Pattaya on holiday, I was gone!

Good luck to pipoz on staying in harness a bit longer. With an inevitable global recession, topping up the bank account is a bonus IMHO. Just keep in mind that there's increased scrutiny of those fronting up at Bangkok's airports on back-to-back tourist visas. Several oil patch guys, married and living here who have been doing 28/28 work tours in a third country and using either visa exmpt and SETV/METV entries have been bailed up to get the "correct" visa for their circumstances. I recall there may be an unwritten cap on how many SETV/METV entries once can do or maybe it's a restriction on how many one can get in regional embassies and consulates? The border out/in at Nong Khai still seems to be drama free but some other land borders have been on the avoid list for a few years already.
Thanks tamada, I suppose at some stage next year when my Non Imm O-A Multi Entry come up for renewal/extension. The Stamp they put in when I activated the Non Imm O-A Multi Entry says 27 March 2020. Presumably I am due to show up somewhere in February 2020 to ask for this to be extended or take a trip out of Thailand in mid February to get my extra year.

As it is, my next visit back to Survarnahbumi will be at the end of the first week of February 2020 and I will only be staying for 4 days. I will pop into Udon Thani Immigration then and ask the question

Somehow, I suspect it will will get cancelled and I will then revert to just entering Thailand on a 30 Day Tourist Visa, thereafter, every 2 months.

Regarding the Global Recession or slow Down or Whatever, it is coming. History has shown it comes every 9 or so years in some Form and we are past that due date. So yes maybe another 2 - 4 years and it will hit, but which Countries it affects and how it affects them is uncertain.

The possibility of the Thai Baht never going back to TB 32 to the USD was another factor in my decision to go back to work. :-k :-k If we are going to be stuck in the TB 30 or god help me the TB 29 bracket, then working longer become my contingency plan.

Regards
pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 29, 2019, 11:36 pm

Look at the bottom
This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 29, 2019, 11:47 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
November 29, 2019, 8:37 pm

As it is, my next visit back to Survarnahbumi will be at the end of the first week of February 2020 and I will only be staying for 4 days. I will pop into Udon Thani Immigration then and ask the question

Somehow, I suspect it will will get cancelled and I will then revert to just entering Thailand on a 30 Day Tourist Visa, thereafter, every 2 months.
You will get a permission to stay that will be dated for 1 year, so February 2021, a multi reentry permit will let you keep that alive.

I suggest that this could be useful as immigration officers at Survarnahbumi and Don Muang are known to be refusing entry on visa exemption more often than in the past.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”