Floor Tiles Popping Lose

General Udon Thani topics only!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Floor Tiles Popping Lose

Post by semperfiguy » June 5, 2018, 6:34 pm

Over the past few months the grout around some of the flooring tiles in my 8 year old home is starting to disintegrate and the tiles are coming lose and lifting in areas where they seem to be hollow underneath. It appears that the tile setter was skimping on the amount of cement that he put under the tiles, and the only thing that was holding some of these tiles in place and in proper alignment was the grout around the edges.

I don't want to bring a tile setter into my home and have him start tearing up tiles and making a mess beyond what is really needed. I found a filler from the US called Fix-A-Floor whereby one can simply drill a hole in the tile or the grout line and squirt this sealer which has the consistency of Elmer's glue into the hole with a caulking gun which will fill the empty spaces and cement the tiles in alignment and dry within 24 hours. My tiles are the typical 60 x 60 cm shiny white ones. It's really the perfect solution for my problem, but I've checked at Home Pro and Global House and they say they have nothing like that.

Has anyone else out there had this problem, and if so, what was your solution? Also, does anyone have any ideas or has anyone heard of this type of flooring repair being sold locally? I can't order from the US because the shipping costs would be astronomical. Here is a link that shows a video of how this product works:

http://fixafloorworldwide.com/

Thanks in advance for you comments!

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Re: Floor Tiles Popping Lose

Post by Philrjones » June 5, 2018, 6:51 pm

HI mate - if you can't get the right stuff in Thailand, try making your own.

You'll need to get a cheap tube of water based stuff, empty it out, fill it with a mix you put together, then drill your grout and use the gun to fill under the tiles.
Here's a link on how to recycle a used caulk tube -
http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycle ... or-re-use/

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » June 5, 2018, 8:34 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
June 5, 2018, 6:34 pm
Has anyone else out there had this problem, and if so, what was your solution?
of course i had the same problem.
my solution?
since i am fed up with poorly educated udon construction workers and those world class farang-cheaters i simply bought 3 small washable carpets to cover the problematic tiles.
i won't loose anymore nerves with udon workers.
they are more or less all the same.
and since i won't be living forever i gave up running for quality that lasts long.
what's happening to my house once i'm gone is not of my concern anymore.
was a hard lesson to take - sorry to say so.
[-X

Mex
udonmap.com

Post by Mex » June 13, 2018, 7:24 pm

If the tiles only started lifting after 8 years then the adhesive is not your problem. Are the tiles exposed to sunlight at any time? Are the tiles wall to wall..ie without any capacity to expand?
Last edited by Mex on June 14, 2018, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks good..and smells good..go for it..

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » June 14, 2018, 8:50 am

semperfiguy wrote:
June 5, 2018, 6:34 pm
Also, does anyone have any ideas or has anyone heard of this type of flooring repair being sold locally?
HomePro i.e. has EPOXY SEALER 2 kg about 500 thb. Try to Google "Epoxy sealer" and you see how to use. It also works as a moisture barrier.

Ps. Usually problem is time. Floor should be dry before tiling. Means 3-4 months drying time.

sparticus1
udonmap.com

Post by sparticus1 » June 14, 2018, 9:15 am

I used the epoxy . It works but your forever chasing tiles. in the end they all have to come up mate. Just save your time and do it when you have the funds available.
Also, if you don't have some spares with the right batch No, others you buy to replace a cracked one wont match very good better to either put them in a place not seen or just deep breath and buy all new. old ones can be sold at a bargain price for thais to put on their floors

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 14, 2018, 10:34 am

My condo is 60 square meters and more than 10 years old. I gave up patching loose tiles and had all of them torn up and replaced. Tiles are not that expensive and labor cost for good tile installers is also reasonable. I decided that patching is ongoing and not worth the effort. I am happy with my new flooring.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 14, 2018, 11:02 am

Mex wrote:
June 13, 2018, 7:24 pm
If the tiles only started lifting after 8 years then the adhesive is not your problem. Are the tiles exposed to sunlight at any time? Are the tiles wall to wall..ie without any capacity to expand?
Mex is correct, chances are they are coming up after 5 - 8 years, it is because the Tiler has grouted from wall to wall. For larger rooms they should no grout where the tile abuts the wall, i.e. leave that last 4mm space open around the wall line. Normally there is a wall skirting that then covers the gap

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 14, 2018, 2:13 pm

I have no idea why my tiles came loose. They never see the sunshine. After more than ten years I felt like they owed me nothing. Few things last forever. I suspect that poorly installed much thinner tiles actually flex just a bit and the bond is eventually broken. My condo bedroom has a desktop computer and my chair is on rollers. That is the area that the tiles came loose first.

I do expect the 60 square cm tiles in the house to last more than 10 years. They are much thicker than standard tiles with more mortar under them. Also much more expensive, both the tiles and the labor.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”