"INSTANT POT" Pressure Cooker

General Udon Thani topics only!
jimjay
udonmap.com

"INSTANT POT" Pressure Cooker

Post by jimjay » July 6, 2018, 6:10 pm

I'm looking to see if anyone knows where to get one of these (not for answers like "Try Lazada LOL".

But like, if you have one, or something that is basically the same, - made to western standards vs. china ones.

Also not looking for MacGyver replies like "Oh you can just do that with a recycled 55 gallon drum" LOL.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: "INSTANT POT" Pressure Cooker

Post by tamada » July 6, 2018, 6:44 pm

Have you checked lazada?

I've seen this done with a converted oil drum too.

The only pressure cookers I recall are the couple that my late mum had which she thought was a Godsend when cooking for a family for 4 back in the 1970's. All cooked in one pot and ready to serve within the hour. Big stainless steel things with a mission-critical pressure release valve at the top. Scary when the pressure hadn't been fully vented and the twist lock lid was opened. That was due to a dicky pressure valve which wasn't available by itself so that's why she had 2 pots (I eventually sorted the duff valve). I think my sister has them now but she burns water so reckon they're wasted.

Haven't seen the new technology ones but no reason why a microprocessor controlled one isn't as safe as the old fashioned ones.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 6, 2018, 7:19 pm

Last edited by kopkei on July 6, 2018, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 6, 2018, 7:24 pm

jimjay wrote:
July 6, 2018, 6:10 pm
I'm looking to see if anyone knows where to get one of these (not for answers like "Try Lazada LOL".

But like, if you have one, or something that is basically the same, - made to western standards vs. china ones.

Also not looking for MacGyver replies like "Oh you can just do that with a recycled 55 gallon drum" LOL.

4,550.96 Baht from BangGood
IMG_4282.PNG
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » July 6, 2018, 8:02 pm

tamada wrote:
July 6, 2018, 6:44 pm
Have you checked lazada?

I've seen this done with a converted oil drum too.

The only pressure cookers I recall are the couple that my late mum had which she thought was a Godsend when cooking for a family for 4 back in the 1970's. All cooked in one pot and ready to serve within the hour. Big stainless steel things with a mission-critical pressure release valve at the top. Scary when the pressure hadn't been fully vented and the twist lock lid was opened. That was due to a dicky pressure valve which wasn't available by itself so that's why she had 2 pots (I eventually sorted the duff valve). I think my sister has them now but she burns water so reckon they're wasted.
Haven't seen the new technology ones but no reason why a microprocessor controlled one isn't as safe as the old fashioned ones.

Tam, that's brought back a rush of memories. My lovely Mum & her Prestige Pressure Cooker.

She made some awesome Turkey Soup after the "excesses" of Christmas, that lasted through us to the end of January. Along with the Christmas cake.

Happy times, contented times.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 6, 2018, 8:25 pm

I have what they call a 2nd generation pressure cooker. It is called 2nd generation because it doesn't lose any steam. That means that you need very little water. Below is the one I have. Not cheap by any means but safe and well worth the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4NWD65L_2I

I just noticed that his link is not in English. I don't run water over it to cool it off. I turn off the heat and wait until the gage is back down. If there is any pressure left, when you unlock the lid, the steam will escape before you twist open the lid. If you don't reduce the heat after the gage is all the way up, steam escapes and makes a whistling sound. I paid the high price so I could always get parts. After about 3 or 4 years no parts have been needed. I wouldn't trust the cheap cookers. My mother had a very old aluminum one and it blew up. Fortunately no one was close to it but it made a really bad mess. The WTF (Perfect) is all stainless steel with a copper and stainless laminated thick bottom.

My favorite dish is a couple chicken legs and thighs or whatever meat we happen to have. I put in the meat, bring the pressure up and turn off the heat. When the gage goes back down I put potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Turn the heat back on and cook for 10 minutes or so under pressure. Turn off the heat and have a delicious stew when the pressure gage goes back down. I think that you get more flavor because very little steam escapes.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 7, 2018, 6:50 am

glalt wrote:
July 6, 2018, 8:25 pm
I have what they call a 2nd generation pressure cooker. It is called 2nd generation because it doesn't lose any steam. That means that you need very little water.

I think that you get more flavor because very little steam escapes.
Having been a pressure cooker user for the last 50 or so years.
With a good 1st generation pressure cooker used correctly you need very little water, this is because 1cc of water becomes 1,600 cc of steam. People may often put in more water than needed because they are afraid of it running out, or have the heat much higher than needed so the cooker sounds like a hissing snake all the time.

They don't realise that a very slight steem escape or a hissing snake makes no difference to the cooking time

The second point is purely psychosomatic, as the steem that escapes is pure water so doesn't affect the flavour. If you are cooking something where the liquid is part if the final food the final volume of liquid will make a difference, so it can be easier to judge with a type 2 cooker.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Char

Post by Char » January 13, 2019, 9:38 pm

I have an Instapot that's brand new. I just moved here from America and actually don't need it. It's for sale if you're interested.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » January 14, 2019, 5:29 pm

They used to sell them in Robinson but expensive compared to the UK

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » January 14, 2019, 5:33 pm

Oh and yes Lazy day do have them to delivered right to your door and prestige brand at that

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.9Ceg

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 14, 2019, 6:23 pm

Char wrote:
January 13, 2019, 9:38 pm
I have an Instapot that's brand new. I just moved here from America and actually don't need it. It's for sale if you're interested.
Might be a problem using here with the difference in voltage between U.S. and Thailand

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”