Shopping Today

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

Shopping Today

Post by parrot » June 14, 2019, 4:08 pm

I'm guessing the next generation will have to listen to grandma/pa stories about how people shopped in stores/malls long ago. And just like most of today's kids don't know what a telephone dial is (even though they 'dial' their phone), grandpa's kids will probably have a hard time understanding why anyone would waste their time 'going to the store'.
My knockoff croc's starting biting the dust a few months ago. I had bought them at one of those traveling markets that most villages sponsor a few times a month. I paid 100 baht for them a few years ago. I looked for a new pair at the traveling market......no have....I walked the entire space of BoBae......no have my size.......Lotus sizes only go up to 44 and I need 45......I even tried the back-alley markets near the fountain circle but, again, couldn't find the style and size I needed.
I resorted to Lazada......quickly realized I should have done that earlier. I found the pair I wanted, in the color and size and style I wanted.......ordered COD on 6 June. As my order was coming from China, expected delivery was 14-27 June. I got them today.....as I ordered....31 Baht shipping cost......with the original shipping label from Guangzhou, China to Bangkok (Suvarnaphumi Lazada Warehouse) to Udon and delivered to the door at our house 18km outside of town.
Living in the jungle just isn't like it used to be

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Shopping Today

Post by FrazeeDK » June 14, 2019, 4:16 pm

interesting that they slide through Customs with seemingly no tariff?? If only all international deliveries were this clean and simple...
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 14, 2019, 4:46 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
June 14, 2019, 4:16 pm
interesting that they slide through Customs with seemingly no tariff?? If only all international deliveries were this clean and simple...

What ARE you suggesting :lol:

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » June 14, 2019, 6:59 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
June 14, 2019, 4:16 pm
China is ASEAN+ and has also a free trade agreement with Thailand. That could explain a little bit. It really matters from where item is coming. Lazada has mostly from ASEAN/ASEAN+ area.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 14, 2019, 7:38 pm

Actually VAT or tax whatever you want to call it is only payable on orders worth 1500 baht and above. AliExpress already prices their tax liability into the price they advertise to you. Lazada companies are only agents for China purchases and sometimes you find a demand for tax from the post office before they will deliver.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 15, 2019, 10:55 am

I think most of our experience with Thai Customs was possibly gained through the highwaymen that stalked the baggage claim areas at the old Don Muang. Certainly was my only ever interface with a money-grabbing piece ofshit in a uniform. I have never had issues at Suvarnabhumi despite hauling all sorts of 'contraband' from the real world.

TBH, the Thai Customs regimen and their tariffs are both published and fair. More recently some may have had huge headaches with importing vitamins and supplements but that is more due to these falling under the remit of the Thai FDA who lamentably still operate in the dark ages. Others fall foul of duties being claimed on couriered packages and mistakenly blame DHL or FedEx or UPS where most times, they didn't bother to research if they needed to declare value and handily ticked the 'gift' box instead. Red rag to a bull that one!

As for parrot's fake Chinese crocs, when one can import a laptop and easily pay (or pre-pay) a fixed 7% import tax, I doubt if he bought two dozen pairs would raise any flags with Customs.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » June 15, 2019, 2:37 pm

i was stung for 1000THB when I had a DNA test kit sent over the kit was free and contained 5 large cotton buds because the letter with it said the test was 159 pounds they charged tax to that amount couldnt argue it out as DHL refused to deliver without payment most expensive cotton buds I have ever bought

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”