Dead Man's Curve

Udon Thani news, views and comments
User avatar
Giggle
udonmap.com
Posts: 1102
Joined: October 18, 2016, 4:24 pm

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by Giggle » December 3, 2019, 11:38 am

All part of the SEA charm. Become one with it, and everything comes up roses.



RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1579
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by RLTrader » December 3, 2019, 11:56 am

samuel wrote:
December 3, 2019, 11:25 am
i have absolutely no idea how to miss that curve.
avoid drugs and alcohol and drive slowly (normal) then you'll miss that wall for sure.
use your brain if you have one.
wall.jpg
wall.jpg (28.47 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Thanks for the picture. With that I can now picture how at night, the wall just might look like the road.

Painting it might work, but why not remove it?

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3340
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 3, 2019, 12:42 pm

This morning guys working and more new painted lines and yellow boards with black arrows on the side going into town from the airport .

DM

pal52
udonmap.com
Posts: 751
Joined: September 18, 2013, 10:54 am

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by pal52 » December 3, 2019, 1:10 pm

RLTrader wrote:
December 3, 2019, 11:56 am
samuel wrote:
December 3, 2019, 11:25 am
i have absolutely no idea how to miss that curve.
avoid drugs and alcohol and drive slowly (normal) then you'll miss that wall for sure.
use your brain if you have one.
wall.jpg
Thanks for the picture. With that I can now picture how at night, the wall just might look like the road.

Painting it might work, but why not remove it?
To hit that wall you would have to be driving on the wrong side of the road.
To be on the wrong side of the road on that slight curve you would also have to be driving at a hell of a speed.
Street lights would solve the problem.

samuel
udonmap.com
Posts: 501
Joined: July 31, 2014, 11:00 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by samuel » December 3, 2019, 1:25 pm

pal52 wrote:
December 3, 2019, 1:10 pm
To hit that wall you would have to be driving on the wrong side of the road.
To be on the wrong side of the road on that slight curve you would also have to be driving at a hell of a speed.
exactly !

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9248
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by parrot » December 3, 2019, 1:56 pm

Calling Father Damien Karras.
Given the large spirit house there along with the long vacant piece of property just behind that wall, I'd be willing to bet the locals know what's behind all those accidents.

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11596
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by stattointhailand » December 3, 2019, 2:08 pm

parrot wrote:
December 3, 2019, 1:56 pm
Calling Father Damien Karras.
Given the large spirit house there along with the long vacant piece of property just behind that wall, I'd be willing to bet the locals know what's behind all those accidents.
So Do I .......... crazed imaginations :roll:

RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1579
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by RLTrader » December 3, 2019, 3:46 pm

Hmm, maybe a fluorescent yellow line is needed, instead of the washed out white line, along with some street lights. :D
wall.jpg
wall.jpg (24.38 KiB) Viewed 368 times

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 5388
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: ฃอยชอบ Auckland

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by GT93 » December 4, 2019, 3:47 pm

I hear the deceased, the 20 year old female, was the younger sister of one of my step-daughter's friends. She was apparently a good kid.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4003
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by tamada » December 4, 2019, 4:28 pm

GT93 wrote:
December 4, 2019, 3:47 pm
I hear the deceased, the 20 year old female, was the younger sister of one of my step-daughter's friends. She was apparently a good kid.
Goes to show that even good girls can get it all horribly wrong while racing along on their crotch rocket at 2:48 AM.

Speculation on overtaking on an obviously bad camber, talking on cellphone, DUI/DWI and the ubiquitous pii-lohk withheld out of respect for the deceased.

RIP.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4003
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by tamada » December 4, 2019, 4:42 pm

pal52 wrote:
December 3, 2019, 1:10 pm
RLTrader wrote:
December 3, 2019, 11:56 am
samuel wrote:
December 3, 2019, 11:25 am
i have absolutely no idea how to miss that curve.
avoid drugs and alcohol and drive slowly (normal) then you'll miss that wall for sure.
use your brain if you have one.
wall.jpg
Thanks for the picture. With that I can now picture how at night, the wall just might look like the road.

Painting it might work, but why not remove it?
To hit that wall you would have to be driving on the wrong side of the road.
To be on the wrong side of the road on that slight curve you would also have to be driving at a hell of a speed.
Street lights would solve the problem.
Lack of due care an attention and the possibility of committing to overtaking on the nominally blind side of the left-hander whereupon on finding something coming the other way, they steer right, across the storm drain covering, up the cement slope and into the wall?

Street view indicates street lamps with one right on the apex of the curve and the next right opposite the 'killer wall', maybe about 40 m apart? Of course there's no saying if they are working at night.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4003
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by tamada » December 4, 2019, 4:46 pm

maaka wrote:
December 3, 2019, 6:22 am
you would think with those numbers they would tear the wall down..not sure what purpose that part of the wall has. is it a protection barrier for some house on the otherside, or just a wall
Nothing behind it but some raised earth, bushes and shrubs. Must belong to the gated big house on the right that maybe owns the large spirit house, no?
wall of death (Medium).jpg

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 3708
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by Khun Paul » December 4, 2019, 4:48 pm

This like all roads in Thailand needs the driver to concentrate 100% , I too have driven up that road at some considerable speed, but read the orad correctly and noticed that to ignore the adversity of the camber plus the rise and the inability to see much in front of you clearly means that caution should always be used going both ways .
RIP to the young lady but as so often here lack of good driver training eventually shows .

User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 1427
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by noosard » December 4, 2019, 6:58 pm

During school rush hours it is a crazy soi from start to finish
but a blind rider could make that turn or stop before the wall at the speed limit (60kmh ?)

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3340
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 4, 2019, 7:01 pm

noosard wrote:
December 4, 2019, 6:58 pm
During school rush hours it is a crazy soi from start to finish
but a blind rider could make that turn or stop before the wall at the speed limit (60kmh ?)
agree been down that road so many times n without the interjection of alcohol drugs , stray dogs etc just cant see why so many accidents .. its not a dangerous curve .

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4003
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by tamada » December 5, 2019, 12:39 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 4, 2019, 7:01 pm
noosard wrote:
December 4, 2019, 6:58 pm
During school rush hours it is a crazy soi from start to finish
but a blind rider could make that turn or stop before the wall at the speed limit (60kmh ?)
agree been down that road so many times n without the interjection of alcohol drugs , stray dogs etc just cant see why so many accidents .. its not a dangerous curve .
Must be the pii-lohk then.

I think KP has it with the road camber though. There's got to be something that catches the unwary on two wheels. A bit like the famous corner of Spa-Francorchamps, the Raidillon, often called Eau Rouge. Drivers can navigate it safely hundreds of times and then, on the next pass...

User avatar
noosard
udonmap.com
Posts: 1427
Joined: April 17, 2011, 4:07 am
Location: Ban Jumpa Udon
Contact:

Re: Dead Man's Curve

Post by noosard » December 5, 2019, 8:21 am

tamada wrote:
December 5, 2019, 12:39 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 4, 2019, 7:01 pm
noosard wrote:
December 4, 2019, 6:58 pm
During school rush hours it is a crazy soi from start to finish
but a blind rider could make that turn or stop before the wall at the speed limit (60kmh ?)
agree been down that road so many times n without the interjection of alcohol drugs , stray dogs etc just cant see why so many accidents .. its not a dangerous curve .
Must be the pii-lohk then.

I think KP has it with the road camber though. There's got to be something that catches the unwary on two wheels. A bit like the famous corner of Spa-Francorchamps, the Raidillon, often called Eau Rouge. Drivers can navigate it safely hundreds of times and then, on the next pass...
Got be careful of jumping walls that are not near the road

Post Reply

Return to “Udon Thani News”