A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post Reply
User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6017
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by tamada » June 29, 2020, 1:10 am

Patient 91: How Vietnam saved a British pilot and kept a clean Covid-19 sheet

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53196009



User avatar
Aardvark
udonmap.com
Posts: 5782
Joined: March 5, 2007, 9:08 am
Location: Perth Australia and Udon

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by Aardvark » June 29, 2020, 5:41 am

In the West he would have been Dead. Money comes first …

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6017
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by tamada » June 29, 2020, 12:23 pm

Aardvark wrote:
June 29, 2020, 5:41 am
In the West he would have been Dead. Money comes first …
Maybe.

I think that it's interesting that they went from vilifying this guy as the probable/possible source of the cluster to saving his life. They spent considerable time and money to do this. Arguably, the government could have seen it as a mission to keep their slate clean; to make regional face. Considering that there's a degree of vilification of foreigners in Thailand as being the source of Covid-19, and despite fatalities having already occurred, would Thailand have exerted similar effort for a foreigner? Outside the 'they don't like us' arguments, I think the precepts of Buddhism where prevention and intervention isn't a really strong point (the 'up to you' paradigm), probably not. Buddhism has at most only around 15% foothold in Vietnam and a similar amount of Christians or Catholics. Most of the rest of them appear somewhat Godless.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com
Posts: 1043
Joined: April 8, 2011, 1:33 am
Location: All Over the Place

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by pipoz4444 » June 29, 2020, 2:18 pm

You know, many people outside of Asia have in the past and may even do now, view the health care systems throughout the Asian countries as inferior to theirs back in Europe or the West. But it (the Asian Healthcare system) has proven in part to be anything but inferior, in the way it has suppressed the death rate in their elderly populations, particularly when, they do have a large elderly population and when many of their elderly people have not exactly lived, an easy lifestyle.

By that I mean, most of the Asian elderly generation would have grown up working in the agricultural sector, in a country environment, when their was probably very little heath care infrastructure, available to them.

Take for example a 70 to 75 year old Vietnamese born 1945 to 1950. I doubt that he or she would have had access to much of a heath care system, in the first 40 to 50 years of his /her life.

pipoz444

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6017
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by tamada » June 29, 2020, 2:52 pm

^ Agreed... but possibly plenty access to agent orange.

User avatar
AlexO
udonmap.com
Posts: 1042
Joined: June 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Location: Nong Lat Udon

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by AlexO » June 29, 2020, 7:45 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
June 29, 2020, 2:18 pm
You know, many people outside of Asia have in the past and may even do now, view the health care systems throughout the Asian countries as inferior to theirs back in Europe or the West. But it (the Asian Healthcare system) has proven in part to be anything but inferior, in the way it has suppressed the death rate in their elderly populations, particularly when, they do have a large elderly population and when many of their elderly people have not exactly lived, an easy lifestyle.

By that I mean, most of the Asian elderly generation would have grown up working in the agricultural sector, in a country environment, when their was probably very little heath care infrastructure, available to them.

Take for example a 70 to 75 year old Vietnamese born 1945 to 1950. I doubt that he or she would have had access to much of a heath care system, in the first 40 to 50 years of his /her life.

pipoz444
I remember talking to one of my engineers in Vietnam, a guy in his early 30's back in 2015. He told me about the time he was in an accident and woke up in a hospital bed that had another guy in it (toe to toe) He said every bed in the ward was the same.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com
Posts: 1043
Joined: April 8, 2011, 1:33 am
Location: All Over the Place

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by pipoz4444 » June 29, 2020, 8:10 pm

tamada wrote:
June 29, 2020, 2:52 pm
^ Agreed... but possibly plenty access to agent orange.


You will never know how much their diet contributes to protecting them in part from Covid 19.

It may turn out to be the Chili factor or the Durian or the Rice or the Booze, or a combination of all of them, that enhances their immune systems, to fight this virus :-k :-k

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on June 29, 2020, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 11589
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by jackspratt » June 29, 2020, 8:48 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
June 29, 2020, 8:10 pm

It may turnout to be the Chili factor or the Durian or the Rice or the Booze, or a combination of all of them, that enhances their immune systems, to fight this virus :-k :-k

pipoz4444
Or, as is far more likely, due to genetic makeup, or the measures put in place by the respective governments.

Which I am sure will be the subject of a lot of research in the coming months and years.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com
Posts: 1043
Joined: April 8, 2011, 1:33 am
Location: All Over the Place

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by pipoz4444 » June 29, 2020, 9:01 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 29, 2020, 8:48 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
June 29, 2020, 8:10 pm

It may turnout to be the Chili factor or the Durian or the Rice or the Booze, or a combination of all of them, that enhances their immune systems, to fight this virus :-k :-k

pipoz4444
Or, as is far more likely, due to genetic makeup, or the measures put in place by the respective governments.

Which I am sure will be the subject of a lot of research in the coming months and years.
I am not going to argue with you on this one JS, in fact I agree. There has to be something hiding in the genetic make up of people, that maybe assisted the body immune system for some, to better fight it off. Given time, Oxford University or one of its University mates, will find it, I hope. [-o<

I would hate to think it is in the make up of our IQ level? The mind boggles if it is. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

pipoz4444

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 3289
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by Barney » June 30, 2020, 4:01 pm

I think the Vietnamese are just a very resilient group. They seem to follow most laws and instruction from authorities.
COVID May be just another unfortunate bump in the road for them.
They like the rest of us will survive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 6017
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Vietnam

Post by tamada » June 30, 2020, 4:17 pm

^ Thousands of years of Chinese then French subjugation does give one a greater inner fortitude.

Towing the Party line is a by-product of that and the Party being local makes it more palatable.

There wasn't much 'unfortunate' about beating the US of A.

Post Reply

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”