War on Ants

General Udon Thani topics only!
mickojak
udonmap.com

War on Ants

Post by mickojak » March 26, 2017, 10:35 am

Has anyone had any sucess at reducng or eliminating ants from their houses?
Especially the little red ones ith the nasty lttle bite.
Mick

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: War on Ants

Post by noosard » March 26, 2017, 10:51 am

Chaindrite spray and powder knocks them dead probably toxic but beats being bitten

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 26, 2017, 11:20 am

our house is elevated about a meter above the ground and pretty tightly built. I find walking around the house a few times a week with an ant spray and eliminating any ant trails seems to do the trick. We seldom find any ants at all in the house.
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 26, 2017, 12:51 pm

It took us a while to learn how to control invading ants. First things first......the obvious.....clean clean clean. No food out, no scraps, no spills left overnight.
Follow the ants and try to find out where they're coming in the house....through a window, door, whatever. Then chaindrite that area. Buy the 600ml cans (about 76 baht at Ngeesoon) with the needle nose nozzle. Great for getting into cracks/crevices. Do the FrazeeDK thing every week or so around your house. In all likelihood, the ants are crawling up walls and coming in through windows/doors/vents or other openings. Chaindrite those areas as well.
If you've got an older style house with the square ceiling tiles, it's possible the ants are crawling up the outer walls and coming down the inner walls through openings along the edge of the ceiling. Ants sometimes'll come through electrical pipes.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » March 26, 2017, 4:08 pm

Thanks for the advice.
With a 2year old, scraps, spills etc, nearly impossible to eliminate.

Wife knows what Chaindrite is so we will get some and regularily place about the house and outside, keeping mind to keep it out of reach for our kid.

Is it a slow release poison or what exactly?
Mick

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 26, 2017, 4:19 pm

Both spray and powder work instantly both also keep them away till washed off

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 26, 2017, 4:53 pm

Mick don't rush into placing or spraying poison around with the little rugrat moving into areas that you and I cant get to.
Have a trial with the natural way of the old Baking powder and fine crushed sugar. Maybe just equal parts.
Place it where you see the ants trail and see if it works.
Attachments
Rugrats.jpg
Rugrats.jpg (6.68 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » March 26, 2017, 5:03 pm

Thanks Barney, but what exactly does the baking powder do?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 26, 2017, 5:40 pm

the sugar attracts them and when they eat the mix of baking powder and sugar the formic acid inside them reacts with the baking soda fizzzzzzzzz and the explode. I've been told to use powdered sugar with the baking soda rather than regular granular sugar. This mix is not poisonous to any other animals or humans.
Dave

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » March 26, 2017, 5:43 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:our house is elevated about a meter above the ground and pretty tightly built. I find walking around the house a few times a week with an ant spray and eliminating any ant trails seems to do the trick. We seldom find any ants at all in the house.
We also have an elevated house. Never see ants unless we leave food around [-X
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 26, 2017, 6:02 pm

the ant trails I break up are usually ant colony movements with thousands of ants moving food and eggs. I've found some of those masses of ants trailing up the side of my house probably trying to find a warm dry place to set up home.
Dave

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 26, 2017, 6:22 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:the sugar attracts them and when they eat the mix of baking powder and sugar the formic acid inside them reacts with the baking soda fizzzzzzzzz and the explode. I've been told to use powdered sugar with the baking soda rather than regular granular sugar. This mix is not poisonous to any other animals or humans.

Thanks FrazeeDK.
There you go Mick. The best answer you will get. A very scientific explanation in user friendly terms.
Armageddon for ants. \:D/

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

If you can get it, try Borax. However Borax is hard to get in Thailand due to misuse in the food industry. Get a small old plastic bottle, dissolve a couple of spoonfuls in about 150 ml of water (this may take some time, as not very soluble), then add about 6 spoons of sugar and dissolve that. put small plastic capfuls down along ant runs. Most ants lap it up (but a few ignore it). They take back to the nest and share it, killing the queen. Takes about 2 weeks and ants will fall dramatically. I did this about 4 years ago and it took 2 years for the Ant numbers to recover.

One bottle will last for a year or more. Just keep out of the way of kids. Small amounts not toxic to humans.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » March 27, 2017, 3:47 pm

If you just want to get rid of the ones you can see cheaply,
2 good squirts of washing up liquid to 3 litres of water in a sprayer does the job.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » March 27, 2017, 5:15 pm

Thanks again all for trhe comments especially Rick as killing the queen is the go.
Time for some experimenting.
mick

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » March 27, 2017, 6:35 pm

mickojak wrote:Has anyone had any sucess at reducng or eliminating ants from their houses?
Especially the little red ones ith the nasty lttle bite.
Mick
Took the advice from "Brian from Texas" 10 years ago not sure he is still on site, just know he moved back to Texas 4 or 5 years ago. Can't remember his ID on forum.

But anyways, bought the bottle of ant food at HomeMart and a spray bottle from somewhere and have never had a problem. Just have to look around and when you see any sign, spray. I took his word that it was safe, him being in the Chemical Inst for years. I know they all say that? :lol: So what's it called?
20170327_182056.jpg
Just add 2 cap full to spray bottle, fill ¾ full with tab water, shake before using, and you are all set to spray.

The only thing I do is walk around outside and if I see any, spray. Sometimes, find those (what I call fire ants) on the lawn, spray. Have seen those white ants along the perimeter wall, spray. Stuff just works. Although its good to go back the next day and check, then spray again.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”