What is good and bad about thai massage?

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
golden gate
udonmap.com

What is good and bad about thai massage?

Post by golden gate » August 24, 2006, 12:23 pm

Some people like it and some don't ...............hummm
To whom that like it tell us why................
and whom that dislike ........why?

valentine

Post by valentine » August 24, 2006, 5:57 pm

Presume we are talking about genuine Thai massage , not the NEM . I love them, especially the foot massage. I go at least twice a week while my wife is doing the shopping. very conveniently there are two near the food hall at Big C. They only charge 99bht an hour and offer full body massage too at the same price, but to really get the full benefit from the latter I would recommend a 2 hour session.I often fall asleep during the massage it is so relaxing, Afterwards I feel as though my body is a lot lighter, almost walking on air. It was one of the serious considerations in emmigrating to here.the same would cost at least 2-3,00bht per hour in UK and its not so professional.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 24, 2006, 6:11 pm

i used to love to original thai massage but not had one for a few years, the best bits was when they put their knee in the small of your back and yank your body backwards,i am not a small chap,must of taken some doing.
yes you do feel mighty fine for a while after.
now and again i get the wife to walk up and down my back, thats good. :D
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » August 24, 2006, 6:58 pm

beer monkey wrote:the best bits was when they put their knee in the small of your back and yank your body backwards, :D
For some of us Androids... this is a definate no no :yikes:
Foot massage is good, if it's done properly :wink:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 24, 2006, 7:59 pm

i've only had one, just to see what all the hype was about. very qualified gal, asked before hand about any concern she should have, which i was worried about as i have heard stories of brutal massages. i have had back surgery and a few bad disks now, so that was a relief. i notice she made adjustment for that, bypassing one technique which was done on the ex. but nothing spectacular or theraputic, but very nice and relaxing, easily put you to sleep.

i will have to check out the foot massage, that may actually be theraputic, as i understand walking, especially myself, basically flip flops, so my feet get compressed and hard, which is brutal on all the nerve ending in foot. for 100 baht, can't be all bad. will have to scrub extra clean one of these days.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Thai massage and bad things

Post by FrazeeDK » August 24, 2006, 9:09 pm

I've been told by Doctors that elements of traditional Thai Massage can be quite unhealthful.. In particular, the pinching off of blood flow in the upper legs (femoral arteries) and then releasing which causes a heated feeling... Doctor's state that pinching off of blood flow at this major artery could cause potential thrombosis (clots in the artery) which could migrate and cause a stroke.. Other elements that can be dangerous depending upon your health are the various joint snappings in the elbows and knees.. As stated by other folks in the string, if you already have back problems, joint problems et al, it would not be wise to get a full traditional Thai Massage..

No a decent long foot massage for 100Baht?? Where please??
Dave

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 24, 2006, 9:43 pm

Val said
especially the foot massage. I go at least twice a week while my wife is doing the shopping. very conveniently there are two near the food hall at Big C. They only charge 99bht an hour
maybe tomorrow, befoe i pick up the little one. might have to head over to shop to get the callous shaved down. that's done at walkway area from parking behind soi pattaya, thru to chareonski shopping mall. heading toward mall from parking lot, thru cross junction in soi pattaya, come out and the corner shop on left. does it for about 100 baht, price never the same, 50-80-100-80. painting optional.

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » August 25, 2006, 12:43 am

My stepdaughter (half-Thai) is a Licensed Massage Therapist and certified yoga instructor. According to her, traditional Thai massage -- if done correctly should take at least 90 minutes and more closely resembles being manipulated through yoga-like exercises and positions. It is beneficial primarily for stretching and flexibility and is actually quite active on the client's part -- one might sit, stand or lie down depending on the manipulation. The client doesn't necessarily even need to take off his/her clothes but rather can wear cotton draw-string pants and a light shirt.

Full body massages can be a number of styles -- Swedish, shiatsu, or deep tissue. The most relaxing are Swedish (sometimes called oil) massages. These can be anywhere from gentle to borderline excruciatingly painful, depending on the skill of the massage therapist and the request/needs of the client. Be very careful of the deep tissue massage -- it helps work out bad muscle knots and kinks, but in doing so releases the toxins stored in the muscles, so you need to drink lots and lots of water afterwards to flush the toxins.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » August 25, 2006, 2:08 am

Had my first ever traditional Thai massage across the road from Robinsons.
Not sure what to expect, so when asked "soft or hard" I said "hard", not wanting to appear a bit of a woose.
Big mistake. Gritted my teeth and put up with the discomfort.
Afterwards, walked back to Grand Chorensri. Glad it wasn't far. Calf muscles like rock, walking like I'd had an accident.
Tend to stick to the more relaxing Oil Massage now.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » August 25, 2006, 3:42 am

Nice one Galee

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 25, 2006, 6:49 am

:) I find that the Thai massage is therapuetic if it is 2 hrs. in length and at least a week in between massages!I have gone back to back several times.The second or third massages feel OK during the massage,but afterwards,I don't feel as good as the first day!Also,I try to find a massuese that is older with lots of experience!

Interesting point made by FrazeeDK in reference to pressure points.I alwats assumed it was a type of accupressure and therefore a good thing!Will have to check into it more :!:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 25, 2006, 2:49 pm

I don't like the one's that are offered on a beach.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 25, 2006, 3:05 pm

If Thai massage is done correctly it shouldn't hurt one bit, however most, if not all I've had in Udon really hurt. I usually end up with more aches and pains than before I went in.

I used to know a lady who studied Thai massage for many years, she knew the correct way to massage, she could tell if you had knotted and tight muscles and could correct them without any discomfort. A couple of hours with her and you would feel like a new person. Unfortunately she's in Brunei now and has opened her own massage shop which not surprisingly is doing very well.

A good Thai masseuse should know the correct amount of force to exert on their customer without causing pain. The massage should be gentle and relaxing, not brutal and uncomfortable.

valentine

Post by valentine » August 25, 2006, 3:15 pm

[

A good Thai masseuse should know the correct amount of force to exert on their customer without causing pain. The massage should be gentle and relaxing, not brutal and uncomfortable.[/quote]

I suppose that would depend on how big the tip was last time :!: Ouch :lol: :lol:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 25, 2006, 3:22 pm

Hi Val, I notice that you always delete the 1st part of your quotes i.e. the one above you have deleted the
lee wrote: part, is there any reason for this or is it just a slip of the keyboard?
Val wrote:I suppose that would depend on how big the tip was last time
Are we talking about tradtional or the NEM massage now? LOL

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 25, 2006, 4:20 pm

I think the best way to tell if it was a good or bad massage,would be how you feel afterwards!

valentine

Post by valentine » August 25, 2006, 4:27 pm

lee wrote:Hi Val, I notice that you always delete the 1st part of your quotes i.e. the one above you have deleted the
lee wrote: part, is there any reason for this or is it just a slip of the keyboard?
Val wrote:I suppose that would depend on how big the tip was last time
Are we talking about tradtional or the NEM massage now? LOL
What is a NEM please Lee :?: :shock: :lol: I wouldn't know :lol:
Technical stuff now. When I quote from a long posting I delete the parts that are not relevant to my reply, by highlighting then deleting, don't know any other way.Read all Arjays notes, still can't fathom it out, guess even I have my blind spots. :roll:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 25, 2006, 4:45 pm

When I quote from a long posting I delete the parts that are not relevant to my reply, by highlighting then deleting, don't know any other way.Read all Arjays notes, still can't fathom it out, guess even I have my blind spots. :roll:
Just remember that each quote has to have a
tag at the start, and a [/quote ] tag at the end, you can delete all the other
tags inbetween.

i.e. the quote above looks like this:

Code: Select all

[quote]When I quote from a long posting I delete the parts that are not relevant to my reply, by highlighting then deleting, don't know any other way.Read all Arjays notes, still can't fathom it out, guess even I have my blind spots. :roll:[/quote]

valentine

Post by valentine » August 25, 2006, 6:26 pm

[
When I quote from a long posting I delete the parts that are not relevant to my reply, by highlighting then deleting, don't know any other way.Read all Arjays notes, still can't fathom it out, guess even I have my blind spots. :roll:

Testing :lol:

golden gate
udonmap.com

Post by golden gate » August 25, 2006, 7:57 pm

[quote] Just remember that each quote has to have a [quote ] tag at the start, and a [/quote ] tag at the end, you can delete all the other [quote] tags inbetween. [quote]
testing too

Return to “Health & Beauty”