Who's knicked Pete's burger stand?

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 9, 2014, 10:34 pm

That's the last 4 times that I have tried to get a Sausage Sub, there has been no sign of it.

Is it now an EX Udon business, or has it relocated?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 10, 2014, 5:57 am

Spoke to said man last night,it is still alive and kicking but he is having trouble staffing it and getting it out so he said, but he promised that it has not died just temporarily halted until he can supply it permanently, from what I could gather in a rather hurried conversation.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 10, 2014, 1:08 pm

Meanwhile you can order a takeaway from the Big Sausage in Wattana Nuwong Road.
Cod & Chips only 270 baht. Burgers, sausage subs, and steak subs.
Udon Expats United FC, order our food from Mark & Ning after the game.
I think they are sponsor of UM, as there is display of Udonmap magazines & maps in the shop.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 11, 2014, 11:54 pm

I came to Thailand to eat Thai / Asian food not expat food.

Rather eat bugs at 2330 after a belly full of beer than a burger or chips etc,

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 12, 2014, 12:28 am

Yes, I agree with you. Deep fried grasshoppers are preferable to chips, subs, hot dogs or hamburgers. However, I must admit to liking the ice-cream served by Swensens throughout the kingdom.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 12, 2014, 2:56 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:However, I must admit to liking the ice-cream served by Swensens throughout the kingdom.
Personally, I find Swenson's to be too high in sugar content and not high enough in butterfat. Same as at home.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 12, 2014, 6:55 am

Yes I agree, Thailand is rich in really good food, however having over the last few years sampled many dishes, with the resulting bodily reaction, I'd rather eat good clean and preferably reasonablly priced foreign food, so that I can remain healthy.
Thai food is good but cleanliness is paramount to my physical health, which unfortunately not many Thai restaurants offer. either that or I getting even more finicky as I get older.

len ames
udonmap.com

Post by len ames » May 12, 2014, 8:06 am

I think you must be getting finicky Paul it's all good stuff
If you have it cremated

len ames
udonmap.com

Post by len ames » May 12, 2014, 8:07 am

I think you must be getting finicky Paul it's all good stuff
If you have it cremated
Attachments
image.jpg

wazza
udonmap.com

Food Safety Issues

Post by wazza » May 12, 2014, 8:12 am

KP, if you were to do a Food Safety Audit on all the foreign food places in Udon, Im sure you would be very surprised with what you found.

Do all these places segregate the red meats and chicken, or stacked on each other, are fridge temps being monitored ? Do the food preparation people have vaccinations for Hep A, B, ? Typhoid ? Are the cooking temperatures monitored. Eg over 70 C and served up at that. Open door food preparation areas, and what lives there at night. Many bars and food prep areas would have vermin in their vicinity. What food safety training have the staff done. Ever seen table / cooking staff have a smoko, or a p*ss and not wash their hands .....

What is the food chain process like, Do the meat suppliers monitor their warehouse temps etc , refrigerated transport units ?. I don't buy chicken pieces on ice, when its 45 C outside, Khun Salmonella might get a lift home with you.

Im not having a go at anyone ok, but that's some basic UK Food Safety regs, in 5 seconds of typing.....

Do the Thais have this , No they don't either, ( MK, KFC, McD's , Tesco have HACCP in place ) so you cant say its the Thai food, unless you have a hyper sensitivity to some items etc IMO , the root cause may actually be the premise , the staff, the storage facilities , food temperatures failing etc.....and many other contributing factors.

Remember that expat food and thai food have 2 totally different food preparation and cooking processes, so difficult to lay the blame on the end product, unless food additives/ sensitivities are your culprit. MSG is rampant in Thai street vendors etc. have a look how much is on the shelves in Makro, Big C and Tesco....

Im qualified in UK Food Safety Level 4 as Auditor / Investigation etc up to Manager / Supervisor level, so my experience is from my work profile I have used in various countries over the last 9 years.

As I said before, Im not naming or blaming any food institution, merely pointing out some basic failures in food poisoning that can occur in all food establishments that I have seen in Udon.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 12, 2014, 9:46 am

trouble with thai staff is you can teach them but the older staff are just stuck in thier ways, i downloaded fridge hygine info from the UK gov, it has thai translation and videos, one big mistake....they should have made it in cartoon form so the thais would get it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 12, 2014, 9:59 am

Papafarang

well done,

I would hide a 20 baht note ( cleaned of course ) in each level of the fridge so they play hide n seek at the close of each night. That way they will remove all items and perhaps stack them correctly.

Question for all food providers

Why do they have coloured cutting boards ??

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 12, 2014, 10:05 am

heres a link for food sellers you have to download but it has thai too
http://tna.europarchive.org/20130923112 ... pubsother/
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

wazza
udonmap.com

Food Safety Posters

Post by wazza » May 12, 2014, 10:15 am

Lots of good " cartoon " type posters / PDF

http://www.food.gov.uk/about-us/publica ... 3A7_JUU9yQ

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 12, 2014, 10:33 am

Different colored cutting boards for different products to prevent cross contamination. Can't remember the color but one for beef, one for chicken, one for pork, one for vegetables, etc.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 12, 2014, 10:56 am

MS - Well done

Red - Raw Red meat
Blue - Raw Fish
Yellow - Cooked Meat
Green - Salad and Fruits
Brown - Vegetables
White - Bakery and Dairy

Its one of the really easy ways to spread Salmonella

Never use the same chopping board for raw meats and ready to eat or prepared foods .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 12, 2014, 11:20 am

Wazza.....great accurate info

I recall opening CC on Adunyadhet rd the first few days and the Thai lass working just couldnt get why i had bought so many chopping boards (4), explained but still a blank look had to use pictures placed above each board hanging on hooks on the wall showing which product was for which board .....guess what ? ... STILL DIDNT GET IT and she departed as this was very important for the reasons you mention .

Im sure there are many businesses here who do know and respect the food hygiene regulations ,,, but the Thai road side food sold from carts ...errrrr maybe not :shock: ... and what about all those sausages hung out on the main highway number 2 in Phon , hows that for storage and display ??

Back on topic ...... as Peter is finding out staffing any business here is not easy . I hope he gets sorted soon as his grub is pretty dam good for a mobile burger tuktuk ,,,

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 12, 2014, 12:02 pm

wazza wrote:MS - Well done

Red - Raw Red meat
Blue - Raw Fish
Yellow - Cooked Meat
Green - Salad and Fruits
Brown - Vegetables
White - Bakery and Dairy

Its one of the really easy ways to spread Salmonella

Never use the same chopping board for raw meats and ready to eat or prepared foods .
And the "dried blood" coloured ones seen at many stands in the Night Market would be for? :-k

My personal favorite are the green plastic plates used at most road side Thai eateries which you can see being washed in a bowl of dirty cold water before you get served. Often wondered what lurked within the thousands of dark coloured scratches on each plate :-"

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 12, 2014, 1:30 pm

and hence the old saying, "what doesn't kill them makes them stronger!"
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 12, 2014, 2:00 pm

Agreed FrazeeDK, and the Thai and other "Immune systems" have developed over generations to protect them from the various bacteria that we Farang cannot cope with ....... hence Delhi belly, Turkey trots etc etc.

Their taste buds have also obviously developed in a completely different direction to those of the rest of the world :-& :-"

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”