Whole house water filter

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Whole house water filter

Post by parrot » December 21, 2018, 11:51 am

dunroaming wrote:
December 21, 2018, 11:30 am
We had salesmen at the land last week who install a filter beside the water tank so all water to the house is drinkable. The cost they quoted was around 24000 but offered to fit the system free for a 2-4 week trial period. The misses tells me they are on the ring road not far from Homepro
The shop is same side as Homepro, a few hundred meters before Homepro, as you're heading toward Global

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 21, 2018, 2:13 pm

there is a new shop if you are driving from thaiwatsadu to the airport , crossing tahaan road and the shop is left side just before the next traffic lights... ;)

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 21, 2018, 2:41 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
December 21, 2018, 11:22 am
It depends how dirty the water is coming out of the well.i use a two stage 16inch filter which takes it to a decent level to use in house.if you go too far in stages you'll only clog it up with dirt very quickly.i paid 6,000b but look on lazada and might find cheaper.
The water comes out very clean looking but left to stand for an hr or 2 a silvery film forms on the surface, l don't know what it is so l thought if l could put it through a decent filter of some kind maybe it would be good enough to bath in.
I don't want to spend alot of cash as I can truck in cleaner water for free 200 metres away, 6000bht sounds pretty reasonable.
What would your 2 stage filter consist Of?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 21, 2018, 7:24 pm

On city water and when they started hooking up new service somewhere in the city, our water went murky so installed this on the main supply before the storage tanks and pressure pump system.
f1.jpg
Primary
Then installed this one on the outlet of the pump to the house.
f2.jpg
Secondary
Then we have these on the kitchen, wet bar and the master bathroom taps.
f3.jpg
Final
f3.jpg (55.78 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Forgot to add, that's for a 4 bed, 3 bathroom house with western kitchen. I change the primary filter and faucet filters monthly but due to the sh!t that got into the storage tanks, the secondary was a weekly job. It's more like every 2-3 weeks now so getting better.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » December 22, 2018, 5:37 am

Tamada, if you don’t mind me asking, approximately how much are you paying monthly for filters. Also the costs for your main, pump, and faucet units. Thanks in advance for the info, I am interested in settting up a similar system myself.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 22, 2018, 7:49 am

Thanks "tamada" photos very useful. I've been Googling and too much info is fogging the issue, A pre tank and after tank filter such as yours looks like the best way to go, are they both Carbon type filters? as "newtovillagelife" says the cost of replacement filters needs consideration and also the flow rate.
Thank you to everyone for you input and help.....................Cheers.........BRD.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » December 22, 2018, 10:17 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
December 21, 2018, 2:41 pm
Marcosteffano wrote:
December 21, 2018, 11:22 am
It depends how dirty the water is coming out of the well.i use a two stage 16inch filter which takes it to a decent level to use in house.if you go too far in stages you'll only clog it up with dirt very quickly.i paid 6,000b but look on lazada and might find cheaper.
The water comes out very clean looking but left to stand for an hr or 2 a silvery film forms on the surface, l don't know what it is so l thought if l could put it through a decent filter of some kind maybe it would be good enough to bath in.
I don't want to spend alot of cash as I can truck in cleaner water for free 200 metres away, 6000bht sounds pretty reasonable.
What would your 2 stage filter consist Of?
Attachments
IMG_2658.PNG

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 22, 2018, 1:04 pm

The primary filter is a long, 5 micron PPE one and they're about 180 baht at Amorn but cheaper in bulk through lazada where I've seen a 6-pack for 600 baht.

The secondary filter is pleated paper and last batch I got on lazada cost 480 baht for a pack of 4. They were easily twice that price at HomePro and HomeHub which were the only places I could find them 6 months ago.

The short, 5 micron PPE filters for the faucet filtration (FF) are available at Amorn. I forget the price but I think 220 baht for 2? The short carbon filters for FF I am finding sometimes at Mr D.I.Y. opposite Sizzler in Central Plaza, maybe 60 baht? The carbon block for the FF I found at Amorn but forget the price.

However, you can get a single pack of all 3 filters on lazada for 235 baht which is what I'll be doing from now on.

The pump is a Mitsubishi WP-205QS that's been faithful for nearly 12 years already. I think they retail around 5800 to 6800 baht these says. Cheapest I saw 6 months ago was at Global House, most expensive at (you guessed it) HomePro. I recently replaced the pressure switch (buggered about with by idiots) and the vacuum diaphragm assembly as I suspect it had a pinhole leak (tank flooding, pump fast cycling and overheating after maybe a month). The faucet filters I grabbed ages ago when they were on special at Big C. Fairly generic and maybe around 1100 baht each?

If you want to build a custom, under-counter, 2-element or 3-element filter that goes in-line with the line to the faucet versus the standard switcheroo that screws on the end of the faucet, all the hardware is available at Thai Watsadu.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 22, 2018, 3:36 pm

you can check some prices on this website http://www.water-mart.net/product.detai ... th_3163778#
this is the filter we are using placed under the kitchen sink to drink the tap water...sorry Thai website,limited English , in Udon shops they are asking for 6.500 baht for something similar ... ;)

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 22, 2018, 7:52 pm

I drove to Udon today to check out the filter shops, just my luck both closed, the one near the airport and the new one at Ban Jan so l continued on to thaiwatsado, spoke to a member of staff, after showing me a few different filters she gave me a brochure with a whole house system diagram by mazuma.
DSC_0083.JPG
Mazuma water filter system
I guess the pre filter is paper or similar, and then we have the activated carbon filter and then the ion exchange resin filter, the two larger filters contain granules instead of cartridges which keeps the costs down.
Pricing up the 3 filters comes to over 25000bht, not cheap. Drinking water standard would be extra.
"dunroaming s" system may be a good deal
Going to Udon again on Monday to check out the shops again.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 22, 2018, 9:56 pm

The two filter housings I installed maybe came to 1,300 baht for the pair plus half-a-dozen 1/2" ball valves so maybe a little over 2k. I nicked 6' of half-inch blue pipe, pipe cutter and pipe glue from the BiL's junk pile. Took about an hour to install both filters.

What comes out of the filtered faucets is drinking water; we brush our teeth with it too. Otherwise the regular tap and shower water is clear, clean and doesn't smell. Very little sediment seen on the plastic filters at the inlets to the shower units than before I installed the filters. Whites done in the washing machine still come out white.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 23, 2018, 7:12 am

i also did have a whole filter system a la mazuma picture in our first home , if you have tap water you do not need it , a waste of money than , if you have well water , you must leave them test the water to know what you exactly need ...
the first big filter (mazuma) is filled with activated carbon to take away the smell, the second is filled with raisin to soften the water , both these filters need regularly maintenance , every month -2 months , backwash the activated carbon one and what they mostly do not tell is re-activate the resin , with salt as the raisin get congested collecting the lime ,so not really easy maintenance , for under the sink filters i would advice to buy a 3 to 5 way filter that has uv lamp on it , kills all the bacteria in the water , we are using it in the kitchen only bathroom we clean teeth and take a shower with the normal city water which is ok at our area , they regularly flush the system here ...as info.. ;)

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 23, 2018, 7:18 am

tamada wrote:
December 22, 2018, 9:56 pm
The two filter housings I installed maybe came to 1,300 baht for the pair plus half-a-dozen 1/2" ball valves so maybe a little over 2k. I nicked 6' of half-inch blue pipe, pipe cutter and pipe glue from the BiL's junk pile. Took about an hour to install both filters.

What comes out of the filtered faucets is drinking water; we brush our teeth with it too. Otherwise the regular tap and shower water is clear, clean and doesn't smell. Very little sediment seen on the plastic filters at the inlets to the shower units than before I installed the filters. Whites done in the washing machine still come out white.
That's cheap, thaiwatsado wanted about 6000 bht for the two similar to yours. See how it goes in Udon tomorrow.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 23, 2018, 7:29 am

kopkei wrote:
December 23, 2018, 7:12 am
i also did have a whole filter system a la mazuma picture in our first home , if you have tap water you do not need it , a waste of money than , if you have well water , you must leave them test the water to know what you exactly need ...
the first big filter (mazuma) is filled with activated carbon to take away the smell, the second is filled with raisin to soften the water , both these filters need regularly maintenance , every month -2 months , backwash the activated carbon one and what they mostly do not tell is re-activate the resin , with salt as the raisin get congested collecting the lime ,so not really easy maintenance , for under the sink filters i would advice to buy a 3 to 5 way filter that has uv lamp on it , kills all the bacteria in the water , we are using it in the kitchen only bathroom we clean teeth and take a shower with the normal city water which is ok at our area , they regularly flush the system here ...as info.. ;)
I did think that mazuma system was a bit overkill for what l wanted, trouble is when you read about all the stuff that could potentially be in the ground you start to think, arsenic, metals and because I live on a farm pesticides, like you say a water test would be the correct first step.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 23, 2018, 8:09 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
December 23, 2018, 7:18 am
tamada wrote:
December 22, 2018, 9:56 pm

That's cheap, thaiwatsado wanted about 6000 bht for the two similar to yours. See how it goes in Udon tomorrow.
In order of increasing expense, anything that has Mazuma, Stiebel or Pentair on the tin will cost more. For the bare-bones filter housings, I bought mine at Amorn, ground floor at Big-C at the flyover. You can also get your starter set of filters there then subsequently buy them on lazada. The ball valves and pipework from your nearest mom and pop pump and plumbing shop.

Once I get my holding tanks properly cleaned, I would hope to reduce the filter change frequency especially the one on the outlet from the tank/pump. Ideally the primary filter should be good for a year but I will change 6-monthly and once the system is closed, it's not unreasonable to suggest that should be adequate for the secondary and final filters as well. If pressure starts to be a concern, it will be time to change the secondary filter. If the storage tanks run low, then the primary filter needs looking at.

My basic system is good enough for city water and as suggested by kopkei, larger, more expensive systems are a good idea with well water or if the water smells but better to get the water tested first to avoid wasted expense or an inadequate system.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”