Windows 10 Download Reservation started today

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » June 1, 2015, 11:43 pm

Get Windows 10.JPG
You can hardly stop the reservation offer. But at least You can cancel any reservation done.
It won't be before end of July that you actualy get something to install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 2, 2015, 1:49 am

Will probably download to one of my Windows 7 laptops, but will wait about 6 months after available before doing. This gives them more time to fix bugs found by general public use.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » June 2, 2015, 2:49 am

There are a lot of questions that people would like to see answered even before July 29, 2015.

1. It seems to be obvious that devices running still under XP won't be supported.

2. Will Microsoft use the ample time between reservation of Win10 and the chance to actually install Win10 to check for a genuine or legit Win7 or Win8?

When You live in Udon and Your device won't no longer start Your Win7 or 8, the current price for a newly activated Win7 or 8 is about 300 baht for a one-year activation. If You don't have Your own KMS-Spico or other instances of "medicine".

Will the upgrade process first check the currently activated OS? Might allow a nice amnesty for all. :D
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 2, 2015, 7:35 am

Microsoft, originally, said that it didn't matter if your Windows was genuine or not, you would get an upgrade if you were running 7 or 8. They have backed away a little from that now & the 'official' notification of what they intend to do is now full of legalese. Those who support Microsoft say that this is just the way the world is now & nothing to be read into it. Those that are suspicious of Microsoft read all sorts of conspiracy theory wackiness into the wording.

However it does look like it is Microsoft's' aim to get as many people running Windows 10, as quick as possible. This is, I believe, more to do with the phone & tablet market as anything else. This is where the industry sees growth & this is where Microsoft are way behind Google with Android & Apple with their i products.
If Microsoft cannot break serious volume into this market place then they are all but doomed as an Operating System supplier.
It is that serious to them & worth giving away a few million copies of Windows 10.

It is already known that Microsoft are working on a major upgrade to Windows 10 in 2016. Will that be a free upgrade, or will a small monthly fee be involved for cloud only access like with Office365 if Windows 10 has managed to gain a significant market share??

I have signed up for a free Windows 10 upgrade & will use it from day 1 on a laptop. The system has been in testing with ordinary users since October last year & is already pretty stable.
It is also a nice, fast Operating System.
However if Microsoft also expect me to move away from Android on my phone & tablet then they are going to be mightily disappointed.. :D

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 2, 2015, 5:44 pm

I too have reserved Win 10 upgrade, do it now rather than forget, now I will look at its potential, I am running Win 8.1 at the mo.

alexzorg

Post by alexzorg » June 5, 2015, 12:29 pm

is it really true that they will upgrade a pirated version of previous Windows?
if yes then in which/what variant?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 2, 2015, 9:37 am

A reasonably balanced piece about the risks & rewards of upgrading to Windows 10 when it comes out.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/wind ... ily%20news

My personal advice would be that unless you are happy playing around with Operating Systems then you are better off waiting until the dust has settled rather than getting in on day 1. Users will be allowed to upgrade for free for up to a year after release so there is really no rush to do so.
Windows 8.1 users might be better candidates than Windows 7 users for an earlier conversion as I can only see benefits for them from the move. There is a bit more of a learning curve for current Windows 7 users in the move.
This was a rumour at one time, however once the official documentation from Microsoft was released it became apparent that only users of Windows 7 (SP 1) & Windows 8.1 that have the genuine windows activation in operation.
win act.jpg
It would be incorrect to say that it is not possible to obtain pirated copies of Windows 7 & 8.1 that cannot pass this test though!!!

Here is a pretty comprehensive guide as to if Windows 10 will be coming your way for free..
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/wind ... 0-3616009/

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 2, 2015, 11:34 am

learning curve indeed.. I bought a Notebook with Windows 8.1 and it has produced from me large amounts of cursing which didn't make the OS any friendlier.. The Windows 10 is advertised to work a couple of different ways with one having a Win 7 feel.. That's what my ol' geezer self wants more than the tiles and "Apps" all over Win 8.1
Dave

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » July 2, 2015, 12:27 pm

BobHelm wrote:
This was a rumour at one time, however once the official documentation from Microsoft was released it became apparent that only users of Windows 7 (SP 1) & Windows 8.1 that have the genuine windows activation in operation.
A well known secret is that using any version of Windows and starting to use Evaluation copy before end of this month can update that copy to final version of Win 10 free.

I have been using Win 10 after Win 7 and my feeling is that new version is much better for me. Plenty of small things that make life easier. Of course plenty of things that need to be found out. I have build 10074 and because of something, I do not have tiles. Anyway I do not miss tiles.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 2, 2015, 12:49 pm

I downloaded evaluation copy 10159 this morning, so a bit early to comment on it. Previously I was using 1013x (can't remember the exact version) & was very happy with that.
Personally I will be switching over from Win 7 to 10 as soon as Windows will allow me after release.
The fact that I can 'roll back' to 7 is enough of an incentive for me.

However after trying the evaluation copies I think that there is little possibility of me needing to do that.
The speed that the Windows 10 system starts up & shuts down compared to 7 & the capability of using Apps as well as Programs is a big plus.
Also the big failing of Windows 8 was that it seemed to assume that everybody would be interfacing with it via a touch screen. When was put on a laptop or desktop it was just pure frustration. 10 makes the using of keyboards & mice as easy as operating under 7.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 22, 2015, 1:39 pm

Comprehensive & well thought out piece on when users should consider the free upgrade to Windows 10.
Easy to read with little jargon in it..

http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-shoul ... TRE17cfd61

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 22, 2015, 5:14 pm

Thanks Bob, I'll wait a While ....

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 23, 2015, 5:11 am

Aardvark wrote:Thanks Bob, I'll wait a While ....
U need to upgrade your Nissan to a Holden first , LOL

I got win 8 on my notebook last year, then used Shell Classic to revert it to Win 7 format, as I didn't like the touch screen etc, Worked on 8.1 also

As Im IT ignorant, I will wait for the sand to settle on win 10, my notebook is asking me to reserve my free copy etc

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 30, 2015, 12:05 pm

On the laptop that is running Windows 7,this morning, I clicked on the Windows 10 icon that has been on the tool bar at the bottom.
A screen informed me that I had requested the update & that it had now downloaded & all I now needed to do was install it.
Clicking on that bought up the normal Microsoft Term & Conditions that I had to agree to before it would continue.
I agreed which now probably means that Microsoft now legally own my soul & can sell it whenever an attractive offer is made. :D

My computer went into 'restart' mode & took about 15 minutes to close down while it did some preparation work.
It then restarted & took 40 minutes copying files.
Another restart & then 35 minutes Installing features & drivers.
Another restart & then 20 minutes of Configuration.
It then took about 10 minutes of 'Personal setup'.
& we were off.

Only a couple of issues.
1. My desktop is devoid of any icons - anyone who has seen my Win 7 screen knows this is a significant change!!
2. The date setup is USA style rather than European. That was fixed with a couple of mouse clicks though.

Windows 10 would seem to be far better at handling 'firm ware' & 'drivers' than any previous version of Windows I have seen.. Which is certainly a big plus.
My task bar has all the old Win 7 stuff on it as well as a couple of new Win 10 add ons.

All in all I am pleased, but it is early days & I imagine that quite a few of the programs that I use will require updating over the next few week, unless Apps proves to be the way to go instead..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 30, 2015, 1:49 pm

Ah, I just clicked on File Explorer &, as if by magic, my old icons started to reappear on the desktop.
It, obviously, needs that little hint to go & find them... :D

Happy bunny!!! :D :D

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » July 30, 2015, 2:15 pm

Immediate download here 32 and 64 bit:

http://venturebeat.com/2015/07/29/how-t ... ws-update/

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 30, 2015, 6:52 pm

I'm going to go ahead and install Windows 10 as soon as it is downloaded on my computer. With the millions of testers who helped develop the operating system, I'm satisfied that it will work properly out of the box.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » July 30, 2015, 7:37 pm

When I purchased my all in one some 18 months ago from Big C it came fully loaded inc. windows 7 ultimate, I did not know till later that it was a burnt/illegal copy which I guess many other users in Udon and thailand have.

Can anyone suggest what my options to upgrade to 10 are.

Thanks in advance.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 30, 2015, 7:55 pm

Has Microsoft actually told you that it is a bad copy macca46 ??
I am not sure exactly how carefully they are checking for Genuine Windows.
It could well be (as they want as many people as possible to use 10) that in the initial rush they actually won't care.
If you had the notification that waanjai posted at the start of this thread then you could be OK.
Otherwise it is a bit more tricky as you will probably have to delete your copy of Win 7 & then upgrade to 10 once you get a copy that Microsoft is happy with...

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 30, 2015, 8:22 pm

You can buy Windows 8.1 for about Thb 3000 odd install that then upgrade free to 10. Download all you want to keep to a external drive and reformat your hard drive, then start again, quicker than trying to fix it.
CSC have that for sale in Landmark. I got that and office 2014. both upgraded today by Microsoft took about an hour for the upgrade and then about 2 hours reconfiguring. The one thing I have found I can no longer use Google Chrome as my main search engine. maybe I can just need to play more but it is fast I will give them that and with all the bells and whistles, when you start you need to read the pages and choose carefully what you want to actually use.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”