YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
bluejets
udonmap.com

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by bluejets » May 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

rick wrote:
May 4, 2019, 11:40 pm
Maybe he means the 8 inch floppy disk - earlier than the 5.25.
Yeah...did think about that but nah.
Surely couldn't make 4 mistakes.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 5, 2019, 12:40 pm

glalt wrote:
May 5, 2019, 9:46 am
Many years ago I had a popular small bar in Ohio. Trying to keep track of sales and inventory was a nightmare. I bought an IBM compatible computer from Radio Shack. It took me a couple of weeks to build a spread sheet and with an electronic cash register, All the sales and inventory information was there to see. After that was done, I would print it out on my dot matrix printer and post it in the bar kitchen. I was buying a lot more Budweiser than I was selling. It cost a couple of bartenders their jobs. The floppy discs were actually quit reliable and that was important because of the tiny hard drive. During an IRS audit, I had all the register tapes and spread sheets with me. I passed the audit with no problems.
Calcstar, wordstar, can't remember the rest.
No hdd just floppy drive ( 2 x 5.25") and onboard speech (English or Phoneme)
Did much the same as your spreadsheets etc.
Sadly the old Bondwell went in the 2013 flood.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 5, 2019, 12:59 pm

I can't remember that name of the software I used. I think there was a 1 2 3 in the name.

WimH

Post by WimH » May 5, 2019, 1:11 pm

That would be lotus 123...

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 6, 2019, 6:38 pm

WimH wrote:
May 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
That would be lotus 123...
That's it. Great program way back then.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 12:49 am

When my industry went all spreadsheetish in the early 1990's, I went and splurged on my own copy of Borland Quattro Pro 1.0 which cost the best part of 400 bucks. Came in a big box with maybe 16 x 3.5" floppy disk installation kit. Used it once and then got hired by a company that had adopted MS Excel which was really rubbish compared to Q Pro. I preferred to import their sparsely functional excel sheets into my Q Pro, make them all gee-whizzy and work better and then save-as so my managers and peers could ponder my amazing spreadsheet abilities. Got to be too much work duplication eventually and I joined the dumbed-down MS sheeple in the end.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 7, 2019, 10:18 am

Sounds like my last job in the US. I was a process engineer and used Auto-cad to design tools. Granted that it did not have all the bells and whistles but tool vendors used it and I could simply send then files over the Internet. The company then bought a high end design program that I never learned how to use. Fortunately the guys who made the official tool drawings were able to translate my drawings to their new program. Time moves on.

Natas

Post by Natas » May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

tamada wrote:
May 7, 2019, 12:49 am
When my industry went all spreadsheetish in the early 1990's, I went and splurged on my own copy of Borland Quattro Pro 1.0 which cost the best part of 400 bucks. Came in a big box with maybe 16 x 3.5" floppy disk installation kit. Used it once and then got hired by a company that had adopted MS Excel which was really rubbish compared to Q Pro. I preferred to import their sparsely functional excel sheets into my Q Pro, make them all gee-whizzy and work better and then save-as so my managers and peers could ponder my amazing spreadsheet abilities. Got to be too much work duplication eventually and I joined the dumbed-down MS sheeple in the end.
It is only dumbed-down MS products because you failed to learn them...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 9, 2019, 12:09 pm

Natas wrote:
May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
tamada wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you but I did get an MCSD gong a long time ago when it was all very relevant.

Now, what have you got apart from the large spleen?

Natas

Post by Natas » May 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

tamada wrote:
May 9, 2019, 12:09 pm
Natas wrote:
May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
tamada wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you but I did get an MCSD gong a long time ago when it was all very relevant.

Now, what have you got apart from the large spleen?
I have more then you because you failed to understand the most basic principles of life. Never stop learning.
Any Microsoft Certified bullshit was obsolete in 2001.. So go on parading around on this thread and others like everyone should be taking notes.

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to- ... 0680d811d4

What morons go on and on about what systems they had in the 70s and 80s..
Some serious entertainment lately on here by washed up old idiots with one foot in their grave.
Losers in your past lives and bigger losers here in Udon..
Bahaaaa

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 10, 2019, 12:26 am

Oi, settle down. Some of us losers are probably proud to be in team loser. There are less desirable teams out there.

:lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

Natas wrote:
May 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

I have more then you because you failed to understand the most basic principles of life. Never stop learning.
Any Microsoft Certified bullshit was obsolete in 2001.. So go on parading around on this thread and others like everyone should be taking notes.

[link to something irrelevant deleted]

What morons go on and on about what systems they had in the 70s and 80s..
Some serious entertainment lately on here by washed up old idiots with one foot in their grave.
Losers in your past lives and bigger losers here in Udon..
Bahaaaa
In your rush to post something totally irrelevant about how much better you are than everyone else, what part of "long time ago when it was relevant" in my post escaped your attention?

Oh, never mind...

If it riles you so much that you need to comment, why are you stalking my posts here? Does perpetually sucking the salty sweat from my nutsack every day of your petty internet forum subsistence give you wood or what? You have absolutely bugger all relevant or even nice to share with anyone here but as strange as that is, thanks anyway for your strangely undivided attention. My butthole tells me it really appreciates your fawning gaze but does find it all a wee bit disconcerting.

You don't know me and I don't know you but one thing I can discern with 100% certainty from your personal attacks and self aggrandizement is that despite your grand claims, you have learned nothing.

Absolutely NOTHING.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 10, 2019, 8:54 am

I find that young guys enjoy poking fun at us old farts. We have forgotten more than they now know. The funniest part is that they don't seem to understand that they too will get old. Hopefully during those years until then they will have learned at least something.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2019, 12:35 pm

tamada wrote:
May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

In your rush to post something totally irrelevant about how much better you are than everyone else, what part of "long time ago when it was relevant" in my post escaped your attention?
The idiot is just jealous.

When it was relevant and long before Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. I was programming a 6502 on EPROMs that had two coprocessors a Z80 running CPM and an 8081 running DR DOS, using a 300 baud modem to contact BBS's

Does that make any difference? Well it certainly gave me a better understanding of computer and communications architecture than most

Does that matter? All knowledge is helpful, the more you understand the basics the better able you are to see how superficial some people's "education" is, and how defensive they get.

YMMV

PS it also taught me the uses and benefits of a kill file and the pleasantness it can reintroduce.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 10, 2019, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Natas

Post by Natas » May 10, 2019, 2:45 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 10, 2019, 12:35 pm
tamada wrote:
May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

The idiot is just jealous.

When it was relevant and long before Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. I was programming a 6502 on EPROMs that had two coprocessors a Z80 running CPM and an 8081 running DR DOS, using a 300 baud modem to contact BBS's

Does that make any difference? Well it certainly gave me a better understanding of computer and communications architecture than most

Does that matter? All knowledge is helpful, the more you understand the basics the better able you are to see how superficial some people's "education" is, and how defensive they get.

YMMV
Jealous of what??

I had a C-64 with a PC emulator to dial up BBS'.. I got to learn BASIC and DOS on the PC at school.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”