YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
bluejets
udonmap.com
Posts: 840
Joined: March 17, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by bluejets » May 5, 2019, 12:35 pm

rick wrote:
May 4, 2019, 11:40 pm
Maybe he means the 8 inch floppy disk - earlier than the 5.25.
Yeah...did think about that but nah.
Surely couldn't make 4 mistakes.



bluejets
udonmap.com
Posts: 840
Joined: March 17, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by bluejets » May 5, 2019, 12:40 pm

glalt wrote:
May 5, 2019, 9:46 am
Many years ago I had a popular small bar in Ohio. Trying to keep track of sales and inventory was a nightmare. I bought an IBM compatible computer from Radio Shack. It took me a couple of weeks to build a spread sheet and with an electronic cash register, All the sales and inventory information was there to see. After that was done, I would print it out on my dot matrix printer and post it in the bar kitchen. I was buying a lot more Budweiser than I was selling. It cost a couple of bartenders their jobs. The floppy discs were actually quit reliable and that was important because of the tiny hard drive. During an IRS audit, I had all the register tapes and spread sheets with me. I passed the audit with no problems.
Calcstar, wordstar, can't remember the rest.
No hdd just floppy drive ( 2 x 5.25") and onboard speech (English or Phoneme)
Did much the same as your spreadsheets etc.
Sadly the old Bondwell went in the 2013 flood.

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by glalt » May 5, 2019, 12:59 pm

I can't remember that name of the software I used. I think there was a 1 2 3 in the name.

User avatar
WimH
udonmap.com
Posts: 13
Joined: December 2, 2018, 10:02 am
Contact:

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by WimH » May 5, 2019, 1:11 pm

That would be lotus 123...
Wim
Vliermaal, Belgium

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by glalt » May 6, 2019, 6:38 pm

WimH wrote:
May 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
That would be lotus 123...
That's it. Great program way back then.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5569
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 12:49 am

When my industry went all spreadsheetish in the early 1990's, I went and splurged on my own copy of Borland Quattro Pro 1.0 which cost the best part of 400 bucks. Came in a big box with maybe 16 x 3.5" floppy disk installation kit. Used it once and then got hired by a company that had adopted MS Excel which was really rubbish compared to Q Pro. I preferred to import their sparsely functional excel sheets into my Q Pro, make them all gee-whizzy and work better and then save-as so my managers and peers could ponder my amazing spreadsheet abilities. Got to be too much work duplication eventually and I joined the dumbed-down MS sheeple in the end.

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by glalt » May 7, 2019, 10:18 am

Sounds like my last job in the US. I was a process engineer and used Auto-cad to design tools. Granted that it did not have all the bells and whistles but tool vendors used it and I could simply send then files over the Internet. The company then bought a high end design program that I never learned how to use. Fortunately the guys who made the official tool drawings were able to translate my drawings to their new program. Time moves on.

Natas

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by Natas » May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

tamada wrote:
May 7, 2019, 12:49 am
When my industry went all spreadsheetish in the early 1990's, I went and splurged on my own copy of Borland Quattro Pro 1.0 which cost the best part of 400 bucks. Came in a big box with maybe 16 x 3.5" floppy disk installation kit. Used it once and then got hired by a company that had adopted MS Excel which was really rubbish compared to Q Pro. I preferred to import their sparsely functional excel sheets into my Q Pro, make them all gee-whizzy and work better and then save-as so my managers and peers could ponder my amazing spreadsheet abilities. Got to be too much work duplication eventually and I joined the dumbed-down MS sheeple in the end.
It is only dumbed-down MS products because you failed to learn them...

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5569
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by tamada » May 9, 2019, 12:09 pm

Natas wrote:
May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
tamada wrote:
May 7, 2019, 12:49 am
When my industry went all spreadsheetish in the early 1990's, I went and splurged on my own copy of Borland Quattro Pro 1.0 which cost the best part of 400 bucks. Came in a big box with maybe 16 x 3.5" floppy disk installation kit. Used it once and then got hired by a company that had adopted MS Excel which was really rubbish compared to Q Pro. I preferred to import their sparsely functional excel sheets into my Q Pro, make them all gee-whizzy and work better and then save-as so my managers and peers could ponder my amazing spreadsheet abilities. Got to be too much work duplication eventually and I joined the dumbed-down MS sheeple in the end.
It is only dumbed-down MS products because you failed to learn them...
Sorry to disappoint you but I did get an MCSD gong a long time ago when it was all very relevant.

Now, what have you got apart from the large spleen?

Natas

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by Natas » May 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

tamada wrote:
May 9, 2019, 12:09 pm
Natas wrote:
May 7, 2019, 2:48 pm
tamada wrote:
May 7, 2019, 12:49 am
When my industry went all spreadsheetish in the early 1990's, I went and splurged on my own copy of Borland Quattro Pro 1.0 which cost the best part of 400 bucks. Came in a big box with maybe 16 x 3.5" floppy disk installation kit. Used it once and then got hired by a company that had adopted MS Excel which was really rubbish compared to Q Pro. I preferred to import their sparsely functional excel sheets into my Q Pro, make them all gee-whizzy and work better and then save-as so my managers and peers could ponder my amazing spreadsheet abilities. Got to be too much work duplication eventually and I joined the dumbed-down MS sheeple in the end.
It is only dumbed-down MS products because you failed to learn them...
Sorry to disappoint you but I did get an MCSD gong a long time ago when it was all very relevant.

Now, what have you got apart from the large spleen?
I have more then you because you failed to understand the most basic principles of life. Never stop learning.
Any Microsoft Certified bullshit was obsolete in 2001.. So go on parading around on this thread and others like everyone should be taking notes.

https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to- ... 0680d811d4

What morons go on and on about what systems they had in the 70s and 80s..
Some serious entertainment lately on here by washed up old idiots with one foot in their grave.
Losers in your past lives and bigger losers here in Udon..
Bahaaaa

User avatar
GT93
udonmap.com
Posts: 5766
Joined: June 5, 2009, 9:37 am
Location: Wee rock in the middle of nowhere

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by GT93 » May 10, 2019, 12:26 am

Oi, settle down. Some of us losers are probably proud to be in team loser. There are less desirable teams out there.

:lol:

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5569
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by tamada » May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

Natas wrote:
May 9, 2019, 5:31 pm

I have more then you because you failed to understand the most basic principles of life. Never stop learning.
Any Microsoft Certified bullshit was obsolete in 2001.. So go on parading around on this thread and others like everyone should be taking notes.

[link to something irrelevant deleted]

What morons go on and on about what systems they had in the 70s and 80s..
Some serious entertainment lately on here by washed up old idiots with one foot in their grave.
Losers in your past lives and bigger losers here in Udon..
Bahaaaa
In your rush to post something totally irrelevant about how much better you are than everyone else, what part of "long time ago when it was relevant" in my post escaped your attention?

Oh, never mind...

If it riles you so much that you need to comment, why are you stalking my posts here? Does perpetually sucking the salty sweat from my nutsack every day of your petty internet forum subsistence give you wood or what? You have absolutely bugger all relevant or even nice to share with anyone here but as strange as that is, thanks anyway for your strangely undivided attention. My butthole tells me it really appreciates your fawning gaze but does find it all a wee bit disconcerting.

You don't know me and I don't know you but one thing I can discern with 100% certainty from your personal attacks and self aggrandizement is that despite your grand claims, you have learned nothing.

Absolutely NOTHING.

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by glalt » May 10, 2019, 8:54 am

I find that young guys enjoy poking fun at us old farts. We have forgotten more than they now know. The funniest part is that they don't seem to understand that they too will get old. Hopefully during those years until then they will have learned at least something.

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2094
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2019, 12:35 pm

tamada wrote:
May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

In your rush to post something totally irrelevant about how much better you are than everyone else, what part of "long time ago when it was relevant" in my post escaped your attention?
.
The idiot is just jealous.

When it was relevant and long before Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. I was programming a 6502 on EPROMs that had two coprocessors a Z80 running CPM and an 8081 running DR DOS, using a 300 baud modem to contact BBS's

Does that make any difference? Well it certainly gave me a better understanding of computer and communications architecture than most

Does that matter? All knowledge is helpful, the more you understand the basics the better able you are to see how superficial some people's "education" is, and how defensive they get.

YMMV

PS it also taught me the uses and benefits of a kill file and the pleasantness it can reintroduce.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on May 10, 2019, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Natas

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by Natas » May 10, 2019, 2:45 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 10, 2019, 12:35 pm
tamada wrote:
May 10, 2019, 7:41 am

In your rush to post something totally irrelevant about how much better you are than everyone else, what part of "long time ago when it was relevant" in my post escaped your attention?
.
The idiot is just jealous.

When it was relevant and long before Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web. I was programming a 6502 on EPROMs that had two coprocessors a Z80 running CPM and an 8081 running DR DOS, using a 300 baud modem to contact BBS's

Does that make any difference? Well it certainly gave me a better understanding of computer and communications architecture than most

Does that matter? All knowledge is helpful, the more you understand the basics the better able you are to see how superficial some people's "education" is, and how defensive they get.

YMMV
Jealous of what??

I had a C-64 with a PC emulator to dial up BBS'.. I got to learn BASIC and DOS on the PC at school.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5569
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by tamada » October 25, 2019, 10:23 am

After getting the first MS startup warnings of impending W7 end-of-life (support), I have dragged myself not quite kicking and screaming into Windows 10 land. I did an upgrade on one of the home computers about 4 days ago just to see if they sorted out the issues when MS offered the free upgrade to Windows 8 a few years back. That was a bit of a disaster and I rolled back within the 30-days as permitted.

Despite this upgrade taking a little over 2 hours, it took another 48-hours of behind the scenes updates before it all became functional and so far, so good.

FWIW, although the 'fast track' free option to migrate from Windows 7 to 10 was taken down last year, the option to upgrade for free is still there. My bought-and-paid-for W7 license was automatically transferred to W10 during the process. The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version. I am pretty sure that's a deliberate ploy to force me onto a subscription with Office 365.

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2094
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 25, 2019, 12:21 pm

tamada wrote:
October 25, 2019, 10:23 am
After getting the first MS startup warnings of impending W7 end-of-life (support), I have dragged myself not quite kicking and screaming into Windows 10 land. I did an upgrade on one of the home computers about 4 days ago just to see if they sorted out the issues when MS offered the free upgrade to Windows 8 a few years back. That was a bit of a disaster and I rolled back within the 30-days as permitted.

Despite this upgrade taking a little over 2 hours, it took another 48-hours of behind the scenes updates before it all became functional and so far, so good.

FWIW, although the 'fast track' free option to migrate from Windows 7 to 10 was taken down last year, the option to upgrade for free is still there. My bought-and-paid-for W7 license was automatically transferred to W10 during the process. The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version. I am pretty sure that's a deliberate ploy to force me onto a subscription with Office 365.
If you have the media to install office 2010 it is very likely that your licence (I assume you still have the details) will work with it.

If you don’t have the media then you may have to search around for somewhere to get it from.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
JimboPSM
udonmap.com
Posts: 3471
Joined: July 4, 2005, 3:23 pm
Location: Isle of Man / Bangkok / Udon Thani

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by JimboPSM » October 25, 2019, 12:46 pm

tamada wrote:
October 25, 2019, 10:23 am
..... The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version.....
My MS Office 2007 multiuser licence transferred automatically to Windows 10 on my desktop (shortly after Windows 10 was released).

It may be possible that you could install your version of Office if you have the original hard media (in my case, DVD discs) for it.

I got a new laptop earlier this year and Office 2007 was installed on it using my original discs and multiuser licence.

.
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism (and economic suicide).

Humiliated to have Johnson (a racist, serial liar and hypocrite) as UK Prime Minister.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5569
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by tamada » October 25, 2019, 12:57 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 25, 2019, 12:21 pm
tamada wrote:
October 25, 2019, 10:23 am
After getting the first MS startup warnings of impending W7 end-of-life (support), I have dragged myself not quite kicking and screaming into Windows 10 land. I did an upgrade on one of the home computers about 4 days ago just to see if they sorted out the issues when MS offered the free upgrade to Windows 8 a few years back. That was a bit of a disaster and I rolled back within the 30-days as permitted.

Despite this upgrade taking a little over 2 hours, it took another 48-hours of behind the scenes updates before it all became functional and so far, so good.

FWIW, although the 'fast track' free option to migrate from Windows 7 to 10 was taken down last year, the option to upgrade for free is still there. My bought-and-paid-for W7 license was automatically transferred to W10 during the process. The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version. I am pretty sure that's a deliberate ploy to force me onto a subscription with Office 365.
If you have the media to install office 2010 it is very likely that your licence (I assume you still have the details) will work with it.

If you don’t have the media then you may have to search around for somewhere to get it from.
Yes, I downloaded the W10 installation iso from MS about 6 months ago when I first considered biting the upgrade bullet. Not sure if it is still available from that same source these days as MS do like to move the support goalposts around.

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 5569
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: YOU WILL BE FORCED TO UPGRADE FROM WIN 7 TO 10

Post by tamada » October 25, 2019, 1:02 pm

JimboPSM wrote:
October 25, 2019, 12:46 pm
tamada wrote:
October 25, 2019, 10:23 am
..... The only thing that missed the boat was my bought-and-paid-for Office 2010 license that has now reverted to a 30-day trial version.....
My MS Office 2007 multiuser licence transferred automatically to Windows 10 on my desktop (shortly after Windows 10 was released).

It may be possible that you could install your version of Office if you have the original hard media (in my case, DVD discs) for it.

I got a new laptop earlier this year and Office 2007 was installed on it using my original discs and multiuser licence.

.
Good to know as I still have the original Office 2010 media and license keys. As I mentioned earlier, MS may have subsequently put a more recent hook in the upgrade process to try and force people onto the Office 365 platform. A friend of mine is worried that along with the withdrawal of support for his registered Office 2007 and the nature of W10's back-door upgrades, he may awake one morning and find it 'broken'.

Post Reply

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”